Off weeks

Apnutter

Apnutter

Awards
Just curious as to how many people schedule a week off from the gym every so often just to give the body a rest. How often do most folks do this. I like to take one off every 8-12 weeks.

StayinHeavy

StayinHeavy

Awards
Everyone is different. I run usually 3-4 months and take a week off. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Technically speaking, if your supps are on point, you wouldn't have to but I feel it gives me a re charge mentally. Just came off taking my 7 days off.... Stuck to my same diet/supplement regimen and when I hit chest yesterday, literally every lift I hit was a PR. More weight and more reps. It's like a job and people/ your body, need a break once in awhile.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use to deload but do take off a whole week every few months

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't schedule a week off. I'll schedule deloads but not a full off week. Life will interrupt at some point a few times a year and that will be my off week

TexasGuy

Awards
I don't schedule a week off. I'll schedule deloads but not a full off week. Life will interrupt at some point a few times a year and that will be my off week
x2. Generally the week between Christmas and New Years eve is an off week for me, both training and diet. The week of July 4th too. Some buddies and I make an annual trip and the week is a free for all then too.

I'm usually pretty tight with my schedule other than that. If a given routine calls for a deload I'll do it but typically I have to be sick or have some other circumstance pop up to miss out.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
x2. Generally the week between Christmas and New Years eve is an off week for me, both training and diet. The week of July 4th too. Some buddies and I make an annual trip and the week is a free for all then too.

I'm usually pretty tight with my schedule other than that. If a given routine calls for a deload I'll do it but typically I have to be sick or have some other circumstance pop up to miss out.
Agreed on both accounts.

Jcweinsx

Awards
A week completely off may make it awkward to get back into a routine but I doubt there are any conditioning changes if diet remains stable. Fatigue goes away faster than fitness fades esp. strength. I use de-load weeks, 1 week for an easier training block up to 12 days for a harder block. I'm still in the gym on a simlar schedule but at much less weight and half the sets. I re-start at less that previous loads and build back over about 2 weeks

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1 week off every 3months....if i'm in the middle of soemthing, i'll push it to about 5 months, not only is it beneficial to your body and at least for me its better for my focus/motivation

it's also a good time to catch up on things around the house that you've been putting off and things like that

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't remember the last time I had a week off. I've many deloads/underloads in there, but I don't think I've taken a week off since 2010.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't remember the last time I had a week off. I've many deloads/underloads in there, but I don't think I've taken a week off since 2010.
Im the same way. Even if i go on vacation im still hitting the gym. Ill deload whenever i feel the need but i feel better when im in the gym compared to when i take a week off, unless im hit with the flu or something.

67nova

Awards
I take a week off when "i"start to feel weaker,more fatigued and lose motovation,try to just delaod but my addiction(self-control)ruins it for me.
So i train super hard/intense start getting any of symptoms/feelings as above cut cardio,push though alittle more then cut it off.
I overtrain to much to push to far anymore,plus im getting older and wiser to know when to shut it down before i actually shut down.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its called supercompensation. You provide a stimulus which is exercise, remove the stimulus and next time stimulus is presented you have better adaptation.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/02/chronic-resistance-training-reduces.html

www.teamunify.com/cseksc/__doc__/Shea_FatigueRecoverySupercompensation-2.pdf
Bumping this post / thread bc it is very helpful for me at this time. I have a planned off week starting December 1 (will amount to 9 days). i havent had an off week since the last week of sept. I am counting the workouts until its here! I almost skipped today but I ended up going. Session was decent... Just lots of aches and pains from pre existing injury. Also, Next to no growth in the last two weeks of training despite adjusting calories upward. I feel like my recovery is very poor at this point in my career (serious training since age 16- 10 years). I used to train super hard high volume and lots of cardio. Even with reduced volume over the years and smart supplementation and diet/rest, I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels most of the time. Would I benefit from more than 1 week off? I have friends who don't even take supps and sporadically work out and are bigger and leaner eating whatever they want; genetics? Idk!