Good idea to have a week off lifting every 8-10 weeks?

Devonkev

Awards
As the title suggests, what are people's thoughts on this. Read in an article today that it's good because of cumulative stress build up from lifting. Anyone do this?

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I don't do it. I dont train hard everyday tho. If my body wants more training, I give it more. If I'm dragging, I'll take the time I need to recover.

However, i know a lot of people that take week off for every 8 weeks of training.

Nickespo89

Nickespo89

Awards
  • Established
I don't do it. I dont train hard everyday tho. If my body wants more training, I give it more. If I'm dragging, I'll take the time I need to recover.

However, i know a lot of people that take week off for every 8 weeks of training.
Same, bro.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
As the title suggests, what are people's thoughts on this. Read in an article today that it's good because of cumulative stress build up from lifting. Anyone do this?
Depends on how often you train and hard you are training, My training routine is HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) but I train at a reduced daily volume as I train full body every day (with occasional days off) and therefore there is a scheduled minimum 9 days off (Strategic Deconditioning aka SD) after a minimum of 8 weeks maybe longer depending on how I feel.

Devonkev

Awards
Depends on how often you train and hard you are training, My training routine is HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) but I train at a reduced daily volume as I train full body every day (with occasional days off) and therefore there is a scheduled minimum 9 days off (Strategic Deconditioning aka SD) after a minimum of 8 weeks maybe longer depending on how I feel.
I do a modified full body routine that has two different workouts. Workout A is squat based and push dominant, workout B is deadlift based and pull dominant. On top of alternating A,B,A,B,A etc etc I alternate rep and rest periods. They alternate 3x5 60 second, 3 x 8 90 second, 2 x 15 120 second.

Making great progress just had never heard of this lay off idea before.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always take a week of rest and recoop between routines, which lands around 8 weeks. Gets the mind right and allows for full recovery between routines or just in general.

This concept has been around for ages and for those that follow it, the benefits are definitely real.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Planned deloads are useful, for sure, although they don't necessarily have to be a week off. They can be full rest, or you may just back off on volume, weight, or both. I also don't think you need to be strict about it being 8-10 weeks...you'll figure out what works best for your body as you get more training experience. Some people need them more often, others need them less frequently. Personally, I plan them around powerlifting meets.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Fuk yea, it's a great idea!

Solidify your gains, fully recover....Build up that fire to put another solid 8-12 weeks together when you start up again...

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If youre making progress, can be retarded to stop and deload.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
If you love training then taking a week out can be pretty hard (missing 2 days over Christmas is bad enough because the gym is closed).

It can also screw with your routine if you are settled into a pretty good diet/calorie programme that needs the training to accompany it.

However, sometimes your body just needs a bit of an extended rest, but for me this is normally 1 day off rather than a whole week.

Saying all that, i doubt it would do much harm so long as you don't forget how much you enjoyed the gym before the break.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
If youre making progress, can be retarded to stop and deload.
I agree ^

I take time off if I feel tired, sore, burnt out etc. I know people who schedule their time off but I know more who don't. if u feel like u are plateaued or have pain them for sure take time off. If things are working beautifully, why change it?

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
After 5 months of hard training since last break, I took 2 weeks off not by choice, but because I got finger tattoos (well I guess by choice). First week I came back I got a little weaker, 2nd week set pr's across the board and broke plateaus. My conclusion, rest works for me. However, i was getting aches and pains so my body was telling me it was ready for a break. Everyones different....age, genetics, training, diet all play a big part. Just listen to your body.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fuk yea, it's a great idea!

Solidify your gains, fully recover....Build up that fire to put another solid 8-12 weeks together when you start up again...
Agree 100%.

Just don't neglect diet during your week off. If your diet is on point (for your current goal), proper hydration and sleep, you should come back in the gym stronger than before (at least in my experiences).

Usually the week before I take off, I go pretty heavy. During my week off it gives me time to re assess my body, goals, and workout routine. Gives me time to create a new routine and I'm eager to get back at it with the new routine.

Rest up and good luck!