Looking for critique on my training program

DAG2013

Awards
Newb here. Just found AM about a month ago, been lurking while picking up some great information. Ive been back into training after some serious time off, been in the gym consistently for about 18 months. At 34, going on 35, Im stronger than Ive ever been in my life and at this point getting curious just how far I can take this. Im 5'8" and about 200lbs, no idea on BF ratio but I know I have some fat to lose which I plan to tackle this spring. For now, my goals are strength while gaining lean mass.

My diet is moderately clean during the week, a little less so over the weekend. I eat about 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight per day. My wife and I cut out all dairy from our diets last year due to GI issues that she has. on occasion we'll have something dairy but its rare.

My training is split 4 days a week for lifting and anywhere between 2-4 cardio sessions (inclusive of a weekly hockey game). I mix up my exercises constantly, change between barbell and dumbell often. Cardio for me is typically either the elliptical for a LISS session or the treadmill for a HIIT session. When I do focus on fat loss, I'll be ramping up the HIIT. I do abs on cardio days and often on day 6 as well.

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps
3 Chest exercises - 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps each
2-3 triceps exercises - 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps each
Dips are constant

Day 3 - Back/Biceps
3 Back exercises - 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps each
2-3 biceps exercises - 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps each
Deadlifts are constant

Day 4 - Shoulders/traps
5 total exercises - 4-5 sets, 4-8 reps each
Push press is constant

Day 6 - Legs
Squats - 6-7 sets, 5-12 reps each
Leg Press - 5-6 sets, 8-12 reps each
whatever else I feel like

Any input or tips would be appreciated. I am currently logging a Versa-1 run which I will post when complete. Thanks!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
there are many 4 day a week programs but i would say 5/3/1 is a great bet for you. mainly cause the movement days are similar to what you are doing. the great thing is that it is a proven plan with variances to allow for nearly everyone and has built in deloads and a progression plan.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't really comment on the effectiveness and balance of your program without knowing which excercises you'll be doing. Don't restrict yourself to certain rep ranges either. I do agree with the above poster on 5/3/1. I love it. It's proven and effective but may not be what everyone wants.

DAG2013

Awards
I did a bunch of reading up on 5/3/1. I had heard of it before and assumed I knew what it was about. I'll admit that my assumption was wrong, and that it does look interesting. thank you both for the suggestion, I'll be looking to start that next week and see how it goes.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I urge you to buy Wendlers E-Book on it. There's a lot of bad information on it scattered throughout the forums and websites that you may pick up.

DAG2013

Awards
I urge you to buy Wendlers E-Book on it. There's a lot of bad information on it scattered throughout the forums and websites that you may pick up.
Im one step ahead of you. I put two editions into my amazon wishlist, was going to look tonight to see which is most recent and get it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
go to Jim Wendlers website. he sells the second edition downloadable ebook version for 20 bucks.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Can't go wrong with Wendler's 5/3/1

proteinftw

Awards
i can still get a good tricep workout after doing chest - so that looks good
doing back and biceps i normally can't do more than a few sets for biceps
my suggestion would be:
Monday- Chest/triceps
Tuesday-Legs/biceps
Wednesday-OFF
Thursday-Shoulders/traps
Friday-Back

DAG2013

Awards
Im on Day 3 of Week 1 on the 5/3/1 program. I think its great. my time in the gym has gone down by about 10 minutes, Ive been really excited to get to the gym in the morning, and Im more focused because Im doing much less. Already set some new PR's too. Thanks for the recommendation.

DAG2013

Awards
I just finished up week 3, day 2 this morning. Deadlift is my weak link right now and I PR'd 305lbs for 8 reps. Super excited to see how squat day goes on Saturday because that's my strongest lift, last Saturday I PR'd 285lbs with 15 reps.

cycle 2+ is going to get logged and posted, just deciding what I want to run. This cycle was only my pwo and Versa-1.