Squats and knees

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    It's very true (this coming from a person whose goal is bbing).

Ass-to-grass makes the pain go away.
    PLers go to parallel .. olympic lifters go ATG

.. at least i think..

2. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    PLers go to parallel .. olympic lifters go ATG

.. at least i think..
    This coming from a guy who has "making PLers feel fat..." doesn't surprise me

No, many PLers squat as deep as possible. When they're suited up, and it's contet time, they only have to hit parallel and the suit helps (as well as restricting their ROM).

If you want to talk w/ a good PLer and get an idea of how they train, go to and look up exmgq. (aka pullinbig @ steroidology). He'll frequently take 1/2 of his 1RM (which is like 450, LOL) and do 20 x ATG squats. He was the one who told me to go ATG.
    •   

3. fair enough kwycke

i was just talking about in competition .. i've never paid TOO much attention to how PLer's train .. once chains and something about benching with boards comes into play ... I'M OUT! lol

i get way too much pain going ATG .. thighs parallel to the ground is perfect for me no pain or pressure anywhere that it shouldn't be

4. Hahaha, yeah, i'm not diggin chains, etc, either. But, I guess it works for them, eh? Increase resistance as the weight goes up...maybe it would help us BBers a bit, eh?

parallel is good enough I just go down until i can't comfortable go down any further.

5. ahhhh, you're missin out, chain benching is one of my favorite exercises!! and board presses, come on you get to throw around like 20% more weight than usual!

as for the squatting, being 6'2" and mostly legs makes below parallel really difficult for me and I end up sacraficing form, letting my upper half drift forward mainly, but if I'm using wraps I try to get part of my thigh closest to my mid section 1-2" below parallel, without wraps I gotta call it quits at parallel, knees just can't do it...I'm only 18, i'm gonna fall apart if I keep this sh*t up!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Newb017
    as for the squatting, being 6'2" and mostly legs makes below parallel really difficult for me and I end up sacraficing form, letting my upper half drift forward mainly, but if I'm using wraps I try to get part of my thigh closest to my mid section 1-2" below parallel, without wraps I gotta call it quits at parallel, knees just can't do it...I'm only 18, i'm gonna fall apart if I keep this sh*t up!
    You just described my squat conundrum perfectly.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Newb017
    I'm only 18, i'm gonna fall apart if I keep this sh*t up!
    I am also 18, and I already tore my meniscus in my knee from squatting. I've been losing mass on my legs also due to not squatting or doing leg exercises for about a month.
    Trust me, you will be much happier than you know by lessening the weight and watching your form. I can't wait to squat again, because now i will do it correctly.

8. Quote Originally Posted by handzilla
    Oooooweee, I don't think I need all that just yet man. Since I started my cycle, I've been rubbing some 1-test and 4ad directly on there to bring the ligament from 95% back to 100%. It actually seems to be helping.
    No big deal on having your knee scopped.

Have mine done 4 times. Haven't had it done since I stopped playing ball though.

Never found it to be a big deal.

9. Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    I am also 18, and I already tore my meniscus in my knee from squatting. I've been losing mass on my legs also due to not squatting or doing leg exercises for about a month.
    Trust me, you will be much happier than you know by lessening the weight and watching your form. I can't wait to squat again, because now i will do it correctly.
    What kind of weight and form were you using when you tore it?

10. I tore my MCL in 03, that's why i started usin wraps, my knees feel so fresh the rest of the day as well as the following day, ahhh to be a kid again and have fresh joints all the time....haha, o well, I'll worry about it in 4 years when I graduate school and am done with football

11. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    fair enough kwycke

i was just talking about in competition .. i've never paid TOO much attention to how PLer's train .. once chains and something about benching with boards comes into play ... I'M OUT! lol
    All the wack ass **** we do is tons of fun. I can't imagine just doing straight sets of bar weight ever again... *yawn*

12. plus the looks you get by all the casual lifters when you start unloading endless feet of big ass chains is priceless!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Alt+F4
    What kind of weight and form were you using when you tore it?
    i was stupid and was stopping at parallel, it put too much pressure on my knees.

14. Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    i was stupid and was stopping at parallel, it put too much pressure on my knees.
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle

I was doing this too, and my knees were weak and achey. I started going down far on most of my squats and my knees strengthened exponentially. I feel much better and squatting hurts nothing that it shouldn't.

15. the only bad part is that i found out the hard way!
    it sucks tho cuz none of the trainers said anything to me when i was doing it.

16. Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    the only bad part is that i found out the hard way!
    it sucks tho cuz none of the trainers said anything to me when i was doing it.
    I hate to tell you, it's probably because they didn't know you were doing anything wrong...going to parallel isn't wrong either. It's simply easier on the knees to go ATG.

Plus, many of these so-called trainers need to keep up with their BBing education
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squat and knee pain
    By leon187 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
  2. squats and oblique hypertrophy???
    By IHateGymMorons in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 07:11 PM
  3. Bad form for Squats and DLs?
    By Ibench800 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
  4. Deads, squats, and hip pain
    By Jcc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 04:30 PM
  5. squats and deads, placement in split?
    By dbag333 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 04:53 PM