German Volume Training

TexasGuy

Awards
I am curious if anybody has any experience with GVT. Personally I've always been a fan of BB programs highlighting frequency over volume and relatively heavy weight vs. higher rep routines.

I'm considering GVT over the month of February and would appreciate any info. from people who have done it.

Just how ****ty can I expect to feel? What did you personally find worked for recovery? Were you lifting sore and if so on which lifts and how frequently? What results did you achieve and how religiously did you stick to the program?

As a note for discussion, I'm fine with links to articles or logs if you have them. I am not interested in a physiological argument based on principles around volume vs other methodologies. I want to hear first hand accounts from people who have actually done this or be directed to such people.

Thanks in advance,

TexasGuy.

Edit:

I've seen this structured three different ways:

1. One exercise (squats for example) for ten sets of ten reps and done.
2. A dual exercise selection where you may do squats for 5 sets of ten and then finish with a second lift targeting the same muscle groups.
3. Multiple lifts being utilized as long as a target muscle group is hit 100 times.

I'm not interested in number 3.

TexasGuy

Awards
Ha, I like the similar thread feature here. Just saw it. Would still appreciate live discussion if possible.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i started GVT for the first time this monday....can't say i'm sore at all though, after reading and doing research i figured i would be but nothing so far....and workouts are done in like no time, so i kind of feel as if it's a lot easier than my normal routine

maybe i just under calculated the weight i should be doing even though everything i've read said the 9th and 10th set should be almost failing towards the 10th rep which i came close to...i'll do it for another week and re-evaluate, also haven't squatted yet so i can only imagine how thats oging to feel

TexasGuy

Awards
Thanks man. Keep me up to date if you don't mind.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
gotta add....i'm doing the number 1 on your list as i feel it's makes the most sense for the goal

however the first two lifting days i've had extra time at the end, which is why i'm questioning the weight amounts and time it takes to complete the workout, i later went on and did more lightweight work for each muscle

TexasGuy

Awards
gotta add....i'm doing the number 1 on your list as i feel it's makes the most sense for the goal

however the first two lifting days i've had extra time at the end, which is why i'm questioning the weight amounts and time it takes to complete the workout, i later went on and did more lightweight work for each muscle
Yeah, it sounds like maybe you should increase your working weight. It isn't supposed to be easy. Everything I've heard and read says you should do it like max 4 weeks and have your recovery protocol down pat as you will flirt with legitimate overtraining.

The guideline I had was to find a 20 rep "max" weight for each lift and use that for the work out. That's what I plan to do and will adjust accordingly if necessary.

I'm leaning torwards number one as well. It's the original, makes the most sense to me too and I get suspicious of coaches and trainers who slightly alter existing routines to stamp their name on them.

TexasGuy

Awards
I have to ask though, at 5'5" and 100 pounds, how long have you been lifting? GVT is a pretty advanced routine, generally used to pull out of a hypertrophy plateau.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, it sounds like maybe you should increase your working weight. It isn't supposed to be easy. Everything I've heard and read says you should do it like max 4 weeks and have your recovery protocol down pat as you will flirt with legitimate overtraining.

The guideline I had was to find a 20 rep "max" weight for each lift and use that for the work out. That's what I plan to do and will adjust accordingly if necessary.

I'm leaning torwards number one as well. It's the original, makes the most sense to me too and I get suspicious of coaches and trainers who slightly alter existing routines to stamp their name on them.
yeah i figured i calculated everything accurately but this isn't science, so what a calculator tells u isn't always the case, i'm going to up the weight a bit next week

and i really am 5ft5 but not 100lbs....ppl around here are a bit sensitive and i put it up there as a joke because some guy got his panties in a bunch

TexasGuy

Awards
yeah i figured i calculated everything accurately but this isn't science, so what a calculator tells u isn't always the case, i'm going to up the weight a bit next week

and i really am 5ft5 but not 100lbs....ppl around here are a bit sensitive and i put it up there as a joke because some guy got his panties in a bunch
Gotcha.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
One word for German Volume Training -- vicious!! ESPECIALLY on leg day. the 10/10 on squats can be absolutely brutal if your weight is set at the right levels.

TexasGuy

Awards
One word for German Volume Training -- vicious!! ESPECIALLY on leg day. the 10/10 on squats can be absolutely brutal if your weight is set at the right levels.
I can imagine! Did you see good results?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So after a full week

Again i can say, maybe i underestimated the amount of weight i was able to do...so i didn't get the soreness, worn out feeling, or any of that

i have to add squatting was the hardest day i had, by the 8,9,and 10th set i started to really feel it, but thats what i've read is supposed to happen, i was sore the next day but not nearly as sore as i've gotten from my own routine and the soreness only lasted the next day which was odd for me since leg soreness is usually 2 days of soreness and a third day which is a bit less....we'll see how it works this week as i increased my chest numbers and had the similar struggles towards the last few sets

for me the workouts are super quick though, i usually train about an hour and i can get through the given 100 reps for 2 muscles fairly quickly

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Note based on my experience:

- I find it very boring
- It definitely helped me add muscle mass
- I would do it again
- If you are going to do it, do it exactly as it is laid out. I have seen so many people adapting it and changing it to two exercises of 5 x 10 each or even one guy who picked three exercises lol.
- It should be done like this;

Chest exercise set 1
Back exercise set 1
Chest exercise set 2
Back exercise set 2
Repeat for all 10 sets. It needs to be as a superset and it has to be antagonistic pairing.

Charles says himself on his courses "People do GVT and change the recipe then complain it doesn't work. It is like putting blueberries in an apple pie. It just isn't an apple pie anymore".

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So after a full week

Again i can say, maybe i underestimated the amount of weight i was able to do...so i didn't get the soreness, worn out feeling, or any of that

i have to add squatting was the hardest day i had, by the 8,9,and 10th set i started to really feel it, but thats what i've read is supposed to happen, i was sore the next day but not nearly as sore as i've gotten from my own routine and the soreness only lasted the next day which was odd for me since leg soreness is usually 2 days of soreness and a third day which is a bit less....we'll see how it works this week as i increased my chest numbers and had the similar struggles towards the last few sets

for me the workouts are super quick though, i usually train about an hour and i can get through the given 100 reps for 2 muscles fairly quickly
If you have completed more than one leg workout and you have completed 100 reps both times the weight is too light. Pick a weight where you expect the reps to drop off on the last few sets.

Also, if you aren't sore make sure you are being strict with the tempos. The TUT is there for a reason (some people overlook this).

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i can see it being boring bdcc, which is why 4 weeks max on the program could be a plus, 4 weeks isn't a lot of time so you don't have to worry about dreading the workouts too long

but bdcc did you ever have anyone get mad at you for taking up equipment for that long? i ask because i got to the gym earlier than usual last week on leg day and i guess before i usually get there and there was a ton of high school or college kids basically sitting there waiting for me to get done with the squat rack....i had to laugh at the dirty looks i was getting, especially with the light amount of weight i was using

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, logistically it can be a real pain, especially with squats in a busy commercial gym. Pull ups or dips work well because you can step out of the station between sets and let someone else have a go whereas with squats you obviously have to strip the weight, change the pin height etc.

Maybe pick a quad dominant exercise which only takes up floor space such as a trap bar deadlift.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
I can imagine! Did you see good results?
I did see some strength improvement, albeit what I would consider minimal. I think the gains come from pushing your muscles well beyond "normal" workout stress levels. The biggest thing I remember is the soreness in my glutes (from the squats). I was walking like I had used sandpaper for toilet paper.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Note based on my experience:

- I find it very boring
- It definitely helped me add muscle mass
- I would do it again
- If you are going to do it, do it exactly as it is laid out. I have seen so many people adapting it and changing it to two exercises of 5 x 10 each or even one guy who picked three exercises lol.
- It should be done like this;

Chest exercise set 1
Back exercise set 1
Chest exercise set 2
Back exercise set 2
Repeat for all 10 sets. It needs to be as a superset and it has to be antagonistic pairing.

Charles says himself on his courses "People do GVT and change the recipe then complain it doesn't work. It is like putting blueberries in an apple pie. It just isn't an apple pie anymore".
If you have completed more than one leg workout and you have completed 100 reps both times the weight is too light. Pick a weight where you expect the reps to drop off on the last few sets.

Also, if you aren't sore make sure you are being strict with the tempos. The TUT is there for a reason (some people overlook this).
Make sure you follow this advice! I agree pretty much 100% and it isn't GVT unless it is 10x10 all for one exercise. The TUT and exhaustion towards the end of the 10x10 are probably the two biggest factors. The time under tension was murder on me. :eek:

I hated and loved it all at the same time when I finally ran it this past year. Rotated between three workouts every five days (Chest/Back, Legs, Arms and Shoulders). I saw some solid size added during my run but it beat me up pretty bad and I will only revisit it for a 30 day period at a time if I do go back to it.

TexasGuy

Awards
Thanks Bolt. I think one month will be my limit too.

amarula

Awards
Anyone here tried the GVT advanced by Poliquin also? It's more a 10x4-5 and he prescribes it for advanced lifters

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
Make sure you follow this advice! I agree pretty much 100% and it isn't GVT unless it is 10x10 all for one exercise. The TUT and exhaustion towards the end of the 10x10 are probably the two biggest factors. The time under tension was murder on me. :eek:

I hated and loved it all at the same time when I finally ran it this past year. Rotated between three workouts every five days (Chest/Back, Legs, Arms and Shoulders). I saw some solid size added during my run but it beat me up pretty bad and I will only revisit it for a 30 day period at a time if I do go back to it.
I like the idea of rotation between three-four workouts every five days. What rest days would one consider? perhaps lifting on a mon-wed-fri routine?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone here tried the GVT advanced by Poliquin also? It's more a 10x4-5 and he prescribes it for advanced lifters
The program I ran was pretty much exactly as laid out on one of Poliquin's articles. 4 weeks @ 10x10, 3 weeks of something moderate, then 4 weeks 10x6. I liked 10x10 much better than the 10x6 though.

I like the idea of rotation between three-four workouts every five days. What rest days would one consider? perhaps lifting on a mon-wed-fri routine?
It was constantly changing which days each week since it was off a 5 day rotation rather than the 7 week schedule. If I remember right it was like:
Mon- Chest/Back
Tues- Legs
Wed- Off
Thurs- Arms/Shoulders
Fri- Off
Repeat so
Sat- Chest/Back
Sunday- Legs
etc etc

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
The program I ran was pretty much exactly as laid out on one of Poliquin's articles. 4 weeks @ 10x10, 3 weeks of something moderate, then 4 weeks 10x6. I liked 10x10 much better than the 10x6 though.

It was constantly changing which days each week since it was off a 5 day rotation rather than the 7 week schedule. If I remember right it was like:
Mon- Chest/Back
Tues- Legs
Wed- Off
Thurs- Arms/Shoulders
Fri- Off
Repeat so
Sat- Chest/Back
Sunday- Legs
etc etc
I'll be honest for the past few years my programs have never been strict, not really taking my goals into account, just switching up programs every 4-6 weeks. It's time to get set on a program, I've taken a couple weeks off from heavy lifting to focus on building my diet and finding that perfect program for me.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll be honest for the past few years my programs have never been strict, not really taking my goals into account, just switching up programs every 4-6 weeks. It's time to get set on a program, I've taken a couple weeks off from heavy lifting to focus on building my diet and finding that perfect program for me.
Props to you then! Don't stress over a perfect program tho. Finding what works best for each individual takes time and experiences. The best programs are those you can adhere to and continue with even if they may not be "optimal". :)

amarula

Awards
GVT advanced was outlined by Poliquin itself but in a t-nation article. I'm on the first week of it because I usually respond better to lower reps protocols

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
GVT advanced was outlined by Poliquin itself but in a t-nation article. I'm on the first week of it because I usually respond better to lower reps protocols
Yes I know. I was just stating I disliked the 10x6 so doubt I would run his advanced that was lower reps.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I know. I was just stating I disliked the 10x6 so doubt I would run his advanced that was lower reps.
I quite like the rep progression schemes where the intensity increases with each microcycle rather than the step loading protocol in standard GVT. That is my psychological preference though.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I quite like the rep progression schemes where the intensity increases with each microcycle rather than the step loading protocol in standard GVT. That is my psychological preference though.
Ya I like the concept but the 10x6 burnt me out and beat me up (although it isn't the true progression you are talking about so probably just a moot point). One day I may try some of the rep progressions (and have still recommended it to others) just at this stage in my training didn't work out for me. :eek:

jclay

Awards
Well, fist of all, GVT was invented by vince gironda, but the germans are the ones that got the popularity for it. i however prefer girondas 8x8. But 10x10 is great to, both are brutal, but i found that 8x8 was harder

pmdied

Awards
Just did trap bar deads 10x10 with 185 and my back/legs are shot!

TexasGuy

Awards
Knees and elbows are really bugging me. Jumping in to such a high volume routine from low volume/heavy weight may have been ambitious. I plan to finish out the week and reassess. May give Power Muscle Burn a try.

pmdied

Awards
Are the squats supposed to leave you exhausted several hours later? I will admit this was my first "session" of 10x10 and it was pretty tough. Not as intense as doing say, 4-6 reps at 90% but just seemed to wipe me out the rest of the day..

TexasGuy

Awards
Are the squats supposed to leave you exhausted several hours later? I will admit this was my first "session" of 10x10 and it was pretty tough. Not as intense as doing say, 4-6 reps at 90% but just seemed to wipe me out the rest of the day..
Same here. I'm sure it's a typical response to such high volume.

Regarding your other question, I haven't tried dips. I'm doing flat barbell bench press for chest myself. I'm keeping the same lifts week after week. This will be my last week.

pmdied

Awards
Same here. I'm sure it's a typical response to such high volume.

Regarding your other question, I haven't tried dips. I'm doing flat barbell bench press for chest myself. I'm keeping the same lifts week after week. This will be my last week.
Thanks. I did overhand (not alternate) dead lifts with 135(total including bar) yesterday morning with no more than 60 seconds rest for 10x10 and it wiped me out the rest of the day.
This evening I did 10x10 dips and 5x10 underhand pullups and I'm shot.
I'll be interested to see your progress ..and its advisable to limit this workout to 4 weeks or can you stretch it to say 6 weeks?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did dips as part of my GVT. Was intense.

You could stretch it longer than 4 weeks but that depends on more personal variables like recovery, volume tolerance, etc.

pmdied

Awards
I did dips as part of my GVT. Was intense.

You could stretch it longer than 4 weeks but that depends on more personal variables like recovery, volume tolerance, etc.
Did you add weight as you progressed or just slow down the tempo?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you add weight as you progressed or just slow down the tempo?
Tried to add weight if I could get all 10x10. The tempo was brutal with dips...I hated every second of it.

pmdied

Awards
Yeah, that's how I felt after the 9th set. I wanted to walk away so badly but stuck it out. Not sure I'll be adding weight any time soon.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
gvt is brutal when done right, I started doing it for a few weeks then I caught that novovirus that was going around and went back to my modified PHAT training when I got better

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.
Been on the program for almost two weeks. Noticing some new thickness in upper back! :)

pmdied

Awards
Glad to hear. Just did 10x10 dumbbell rows with side raises and it was intense. Still sore from my past workouts!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?
60-90sec. I stick to 75 seconds. Been doing GVT for 3ish weeks. My body is changing everyday (I was pretty gross coming in to it). Leg day is horrid but worth it. I use dips for 10x10. Haven't added weight to them yet, but will be next session. I dig GVT.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Wow just wanna say I did 10x10 today for Barbell Incline Bench for the 1st time. I read up that you should start with a weight that you could do 15-20 reps. I chose 225lbs and it was insane. Rested 1:00min for the 1st 5 sets and than 1:30 for the last 5. Crazy feeling I feel like I really killed it today. Usually I do about 4-5 sets and rest for like 2:00min and get up to 315 but this was definitely a shock... Awesome!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
GVT is something different , it gets boring fast in my opinion . Not enough variety in your workouts but god damn the pump and volume is :OooOoOoO

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
The day after:

Wow I woke up and my entire Chest is sore as if it was the 1st day working out at 15 years old (24 now). I get sore but nothing this deep. Glad I gave it a go!