German Volume Training

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by heyhuggy View Post
    I'll be honest for the past few years my programs have never been strict, not really taking my goals into account, just switching up programs every 4-6 weeks. It's time to get set on a program, I've taken a couple weeks off from heavy lifting to focus on building my diet and finding that perfect program for me.
    Props to you then! Don't stress over a perfect program tho. Finding what works best for each individual takes time and experiences. The best programs are those you can adhere to and continue with even if they may not be "optimal".
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com


  2. GVT advanced was outlined by Poliquin itself but in a t-nation article. I'm on the first week of it because I usually respond better to lower reps protocols
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by amarula View Post
    GVT advanced was outlined by Poliquin itself but in a t-nation article. I'm on the first week of it because I usually respond better to lower reps protocols
    Yes I know. I was just stating I disliked the 10x6 so doubt I would run his advanced that was lower reps.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  4. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Yes I know. I was just stating I disliked the 10x6 so doubt I would run his advanced that was lower reps.
    I quite like the rep progression schemes where the intensity increases with each microcycle rather than the step loading protocol in standard GVT. That is my psychological preference though.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I quite like the rep progression schemes where the intensity increases with each microcycle rather than the step loading protocol in standard GVT. That is my psychological preference though.
    Ya I like the concept but the 10x6 burnt me out and beat me up (although it isn't the true progression you are talking about so probably just a moot point). One day I may try some of the rep progressions (and have still recommended it to others) just at this stage in my training didn't work out for me.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
    •   
       


  6. Well, fist of all, GVT was invented by vince gironda, but the germans are the ones that got the popularity for it. i however prefer girondas 8x8. But 10x10 is great to, both are brutal, but i found that 8x8 was harder

  7. Just did trap bar deads 10x10 with 185 and my back/legs are shot!

  8. Knees and elbows are really bugging me. Jumping in to such a high volume routine from low volume/heavy weight may have been ambitious. I plan to finish out the week and reassess. May give Power Muscle Burn a try.

  9. Are the squats supposed to leave you exhausted several hours later? I will admit this was my first "session" of 10x10 and it was pretty tough. Not as intense as doing say, 4-6 reps at 90% but just seemed to wipe me out the rest of the day..

  10. Anyone try dips for 10x10?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Are the squats supposed to leave you exhausted several hours later? I will admit this was my first "session" of 10x10 and it was pretty tough. Not as intense as doing say, 4-6 reps at 90% but just seemed to wipe me out the rest of the day..
    Same here. I'm sure it's a typical response to such high volume.

    Regarding your other question, I haven't tried dips. I'm doing flat barbell bench press for chest myself. I'm keeping the same lifts week after week. This will be my last week.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post

    Same here. I'm sure it's a typical response to such high volume.

    Regarding your other question, I haven't tried dips. I'm doing flat barbell bench press for chest myself. I'm keeping the same lifts week after week. This will be my last week.
    Thanks. I did overhand (not alternate) dead lifts with 135(total including bar) yesterday morning with no more than 60 seconds rest for 10x10 and it wiped me out the rest of the day.
    This evening I did 10x10 dips and 5x10 underhand pullups and I'm shot.
    I'll be interested to see your progress ..and its advisable to limit this workout to 4 weeks or can you stretch it to say 6 weeks?

  13. I did dips as part of my GVT. Was intense.

    You could stretch it longer than 4 weeks but that depends on more personal variables like recovery, volume tolerance, etc.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  14. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    I did dips as part of my GVT. Was intense.

    You could stretch it longer than 4 weeks but that depends on more personal variables like recovery, volume tolerance, etc.
    Did you add weight as you progressed or just slow down the tempo?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Did you add weight as you progressed or just slow down the tempo?
    Tried to add weight if I could get all 10x10. The tempo was brutal with dips...I hated every second of it.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  16. Yeah, that's how I felt after the 9th set. I wanted to walk away so badly but stuck it out. Not sure I'll be adding weight any time soon.

  17. gvt is brutal when done right, I started doing it for a few weeks then I caught that novovirus that was going around and went back to my modified PHAT training when I got better

  18. GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.
    Been on the program for almost two weeks. Noticing some new thickness in upper back!
    Progress leads to success.

  20. Glad to hear. Just did 10x10 dumbbell rows with side raises and it was intense. Still sore from my past workouts!

  21. For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?

  22. Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?
    60-90sec. I stick to 75 seconds. Been doing GVT for 3ish weeks. My body is changing everyday (I was pretty gross coming in to it). Leg day is horrid but worth it. I use dips for 10x10. Haven't added weight to them yet, but will be next session. I dig GVT.

  23. Wow just wanna say I did 10x10 today for Barbell Incline Bench for the 1st time. I read up that you should start with a weight that you could do 15-20 reps. I chose 225lbs and it was insane. Rested 1:00min for the 1st 5 sets and than 1:30 for the last 5. Crazy feeling I feel like I really killed it today. Usually I do about 4-5 sets and rest for like 2:00min and get up to 315 but this was definitely a shock... Awesome!

  24. GVT is something different , it gets boring fast in my opinion . Not enough variety in your workouts but god damn the pump and volume is :OooOoOoO

  25. The day after:

    Wow I woke up and my entire Chest is sore as if it was the 1st day working out at 15 years old (24 now). I get sore but nothing this deep. Glad I gave it a go!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. German Volume Training
    By wardog in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
  2. My experience with german volume training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
  3. German Volume Training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 02:36 PM
  4. german volume training
    By chessmaster in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:59 PM
  5. German Volume Training Time
    By AlexParty in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Log in
Log in