German Volume Training

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%

Yeah, that's how I felt after the 9th set. I wanted to walk away so badly but stuck it out. Not sure I'll be adding weight any time soon.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.86%
    Achievements Activity Pro

gvt is brutal when done right, I started doing it for a few weeks then I caught that novovirus that was going around and went back to my modified PHAT training when I got better
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.53%

GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.2%

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    GVT is awesome....Ive used the 10 sets of 10 program for an 8 week sub cycle in my powerlfitng training to give my CNS a break...put an inch on my legs and arms, not that I was trying to but that was the result. Great stuff.
    Been on the program for almost two weeks. Noticing some new thickness in upper back!
    Progress leads to success.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%

Glad to hear. Just did 10x10 dumbbell rows with side raises and it was intense. Still sore from my past workouts!
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    For the 10x10 is there a specific rest time to shoot for? 1:00 min?
    60-90sec. I stick to 75 seconds. Been doing GVT for 3ish weeks. My body is changing everyday (I was pretty gross coming in to it). Leg day is horrid but worth it. I use dips for 10x10. Haven't added weight to them yet, but will be next session. I dig GVT.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

Wow just wanna say I did 10x10 today for Barbell Incline Bench for the 1st time. I read up that you should start with a weight that you could do 15-20 reps. I chose 225lbs and it was insane. Rested 1:00min for the 1st 5 sets and than 1:30 for the last 5. Crazy feeling I feel like I really killed it today. Usually I do about 4-5 sets and rest for like 2:00min and get up to 315 but this was definitely a shock... Awesome!
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.77%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

GVT is something different , it gets boring fast in my opinion . Not enough variety in your workouts but god damn the pump and volume is :OooOoOoO
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

The day after:

Wow I woke up and my entire Chest is sore as if it was the 1st day working out at 15 years old (24 now). I get sore but nothing this deep. Glad I gave it a go!
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47%

Interesting read, im trying to put together a sample routine in my head as i keep reading.

Mon: chest/ Back- DB or BB Flat / some sort of fly? 10x10
    T-Bar Rows or bentover row BB ? 10x10
    Tue: Legs/ Abs- Back Squats 10x10 BLDL
    Cable crunches? maybe some leg raises?
    Wed: off?

Thurs: Arms/ Shoulders: Incline DB curls 10x10 Hammer curls?
    Skull crushers 10x10 dips ? haha
    DBLateral Raises 10x10 Military 10x10

Fri: OFF

Rest period 60-90 sec with a nice tempo during reps

Sorry if this post is confusing to read. this is a rough draft
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by airbull View Post
    Interesting read, im trying to put together a sample routine in my head as i keep reading.

Mon: chest/ Back- DB or BB Flat / some sort of fly? 10x10
    T-Bar Rows or bentover row BB ? 10x10
    Tue: Legs/ Abs- Back Squats 10x10 BLDL
    Cable crunches? maybe some leg raises?
    Wed: off?

Thurs: Arms/ Shoulders: Incline DB curls 10x10 Hammer curls?
    Skull crushers 10x10 dips ? haha
    DBLateral Raises 10x10 Military 10x10

Fri: OFF

Rest period 60-90 sec with a nice tempo during reps

Sorry if this post is confusing to read. this is a rough draft
    Poliquin has an outline that is pretty easy to follow. It is pretty close to what you already have going.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%

I typically do 1 chest superset with one back exercise. Example; dips and pullups.
    Then I'll do dead lifts and ONLY dead lifts on another day.
    Then squats on another day. But little if any ancillary movements. And I'm usually sore as hell for the next few days.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47%

Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post

Poliquin has an outline that is pretty easy to follow. It is pretty close to what you already have going.
    Thank you,sir.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by airbull View Post

Thank you,sir.
    You're welcome. Enjoy.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.13%

Been at a plateau in my squats but everything else climbs fine on my own training so I decided to try 10x10 with no specific TUT or rest periods. Except first 3 sets are 45 sec rest max and from then on I raise it to whatever I need. Weight has climbed by 10 lbs for my squats since starting 3 weeks ago. The soreness doesnt allow me to train every 7 days, Ive been having to wait 10. Its brutal and it was my workout today. Next week will be my last week running this and then will move back to my old program to keep things rolling. All in all, I'm a fan of this set and rep scheme.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

[
    Quote Originally Posted by TyMan14 View Post
    Been at a plateau in my squats but everything else climbs fine on my own training so I decided to try 10x10 with no specific TUT or rest periods. Except first 3 sets are 45 sec rest max and from then on I raise it to whatever I need. Weight has climbed by 10 lbs for my squats since starting 3 weeks ago. The soreness doesnt allow me to train every 7 days, Ive been having to wait 10. Its brutal and it was my workout today.
    Just a few points
    As far as this kinda volume in squatting, it may very well be better to start slowly, instead of just jumping head first into this much volume on that exercise. I am surprised you could do any stairs, hahaha!, depending on the weights being used and how much you have squatted over time!?
    And trying to do squats on a timer ie: (so many seconds between sets) will certainly be tougher in getting the heavy reps/sets in espeially in the end and you're more working the cardio respiratory stuff IMO.

Also not trying to sell GVT or Smolov et al. short, but personally, I feel 3x5, 5x5, 5x8, 2x15, (at least for squats) is all you need to improve the squat a great deal, especially as a more novice, intermediate or even some advanced guys. If you put in the time and heavy work 80%-85% 1RM, one can get by with most of these twice weekly (once heavy once med to light) and really make huge gains in strength and some BW, especially if they are taking in enough food.
    If 10x10 build anything for some trainees, it will be learning to enjoy being pretty darn uncomfortable for a cycle of W/O's.

Anyway, if you worked into the sets of 10x10/volume, (over weeks/months) it would not surprise that you could/would build up to doing it hard and perhaps hitting another session of lighter work a second time in the week and not be crippled by DOMS.
    Also, doing a lighter to very light set a 2nd time in the week or some BLDL's, RDL's, SLDL's, leg presses>(good one actually) or something can help the DOMS and aid some in recovery (apparently!?, as I am not sure about making recovery greater than it can actually be in the individual?) but it can help with soreness I believe.

Take into consideration too, you are tall, and taller guys have further and deeper to squat, than shorter guys, which makes more work from less sets ;-)
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.13%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    [

Just a few points
    As far as this kinda volume in squatting, it may very well be better to start slowly, instead of just jumping head first into this much volume on that exercise. I am surprised you could do any stairs, hahaha!, depending on the weights being used and how much you have squatted over time!?
    And trying to do squats on a timer ie: (so many seconds between sets) will certainly be tougher in getting the heavy reps/sets in espeially in the end and you're more working the cardio respiratory stuff IMO.

Also not trying to sell GVT or Smolov et al. short, but personally, I feel 3x5, 5x5, 5x8, 2x15, (at least for squats) is all you need to improve the squat a great deal, especially as a more novice, intermediate or even some advanced guys. If you put in the time and heavy work 80%-85% 1RM, one can get by with most of these twice weekly (once heavy once med to light) and really make huge gains in strength and some BW, especially if they are taking in enough food.
    If 10x10 build anything for some trainees, it will be learning to enjoy being pretty darn uncomfortable for a cycle of W/O's.

Anyway, if you worked into the sets of 10x10/volume, (over weeks/months) it would not surprise that you could/would build up to doing it hard and perhaps hitting another session of lighter work a second time in the week and not be crippled by DOMS.
    Also, doing a lighter to very light set a 2nd time in the week or some BLDL's, RDL's, SLDL's, leg presses>(good one actually) or something can help the DOMS and aid some in recovery (apparently!?, as I am not sure about making recovery greater than it can actually be in the individual?) but it can help with soreness I believe.

Take into consideration too, you are tall, and taller guys have further and deeper to squat, than shorter guys, which makes more work from less sets ;-)
    Squat max is around 315 (I know, weak. But I messed up my hip abductor about 3 years ago so I have to go rather light with squats if I want to go deep) so I did 185 the first week, 190 the second week, and yesterday hit 195. Next week will be 200 and I will go back to my usual leg workouts. I just wanted to switch it up with nothing super particular in mind, as long as it builds size and strength. Diet for sure is in check for putting on mass and it seems to be working well. The size is coming and next time I max squat we'll see how it affected my strength. Ive always been a high volume guy, so that wasnt too big of a shock for me.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.15%

Quote Originally Posted by TyMan14 View Post
    Squat max is around 315
    That's not bad and if you are watching an unjury, I hear ya, it keeps you in the game.

(I know, weak. But I messed up my hip abductor about 3 years ago so I have to go rather light with squats if I want to go deep) so I did 185 the first week, 190 the second week, and yesterday hit 195. Next week will be 200 and I will go back to my usual leg workouts. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan and some simple progression, all the best. 100 reps in a session, even if you don't feel that it is great weight, is still a lot of reps/volume for that W/O ;-)
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

Could you customize your lifting program so that you alternate from 10x10 to 8x8?

Example
    Weeks 1-4: 10x10

Weeks 5-8: 8x8

Weeks 9-12: 10x10... ?
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.84%

Quote Originally Posted by pappybay View Post
    I did see some strength improvement, albeit what I would consider minimal. I think the gains come from pushing your muscles well beyond "normal" workout stress levels. The biggest thing I remember is the soreness in my glutes (from the squats). I was walking like I had used sandpaper for toilet paper.
    One other thing I remember now, My lower back was typically in agony by the 8th set. I remember having to quite a few times because by back was DONE........
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.42%

[

Just a few points

I totally agree with 10x10 being quite a bit of volume to jump in to. I finished my month but coming from frequency based routines outlined in my OP it was tough on the joints particularly, which I didn't really expect given training frequency. I wound up taking the last 10 days off to let my knees and elbows recover. I'll be back in the gym tomorrow on a heavy/low rep routine.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.09%

I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but did you gain mass from doing this. I'm sure you made great gains in strength. Lastly did you do anything different for post workout supplements. I think I'm going to try this
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.42%

Quote Originally Posted by WayneD View Post
    I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but did you gain mass from doing this. I'm sure you made great gains in strength. Lastly did you do anything different for post workout supplements. I think I'm going to try this
    My weight didn't change but I'm measuring less bodyfat by roughly 2%. I'm not expecting much for strength gains, this isn't a strength routine but I'll have an idea tomorrow. I did not change my diet. In hindsight, I would have upped fish oil intake.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.15%

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    Could you customize your lifting program so that you alternate from 10x10 to 8x8?

Example
    Weeks 1-4: 10x10

Weeks 5-8: 8x8

Weeks 9-12: 10x10... ?
    Just for the sake of asking/curiosity, why?
    And why in particular 8x8 for 3-4 weeks?
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

Just for the sake of asking/curiosity, why?
    And why in particular 8x8 for 3-4 weeks?
    To change up the volume every 4 weeks. Different training intensities. Constantly shocking the muscle. Just a thought that I was having.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%

Did trap bar deadlifts again this morning and added 20 lbs to the bar over previous session. By the 9th set my legs are shaking. I'm on my third week of this gvt program and already noticing changes in bodyfat and muscle mass. The trick is getting over the monotony of doing only one exercise per body part and then actually finishing all 10 sets.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.36%

Did 10x10 for barbell squats for about 2 weeks now. I needed to try something new because I have been lagging on legs; and yes I hit them every week I just been getting bored with my routine. I haven't measured but my quads look thicker to the naked eye... 10x10 are great!
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.37%

I've seen so many variations of this workout. What is the proper one? Supersets? Once a week, twice a week? Can you post your weekly schedule?
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Machmood View Post
    I've seen so many variations of this workout. What is the proper one? Supersets? Once a week, twice a week? Can you post your weekly schedule?
    I used Poliquin's outline.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic..._Training.aspx

Similar Forum Threads

1. German Volume Training
    By wardog in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
  2. My experience with german volume training
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
  3. German Volume Training