German Volume Training

airbull

airbull

Awards
Interesting read, im trying to put together a sample routine in my head as i keep reading.

Mon: chest/ Back- DB or BB Flat / some sort of fly? 10x10
T-Bar Rows or bentover row BB ? 10x10
Tue: Legs/ Abs- Back Squats 10x10 BLDL
Cable crunches? maybe some leg raises?
Wed: off?

Thurs: Arms/ Shoulders: Incline DB curls 10x10 Hammer curls?
Skull crushers 10x10 dips ? haha
DBLateral Raises 10x10 Military 10x10

Fri: OFF

Rest period 60-90 sec with a nice tempo during reps

Sorry if this post is confusing to read. this is a rough draft :)

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting read, im trying to put together a sample routine in my head as i keep reading.

Mon: chest/ Back- DB or BB Flat / some sort of fly? 10x10
T-Bar Rows or bentover row BB ? 10x10
Tue: Legs/ Abs- Back Squats 10x10 BLDL
Cable crunches? maybe some leg raises?
Wed: off?

Thurs: Arms/ Shoulders: Incline DB curls 10x10 Hammer curls?
Skull crushers 10x10 dips ? haha
DBLateral Raises 10x10 Military 10x10

Fri: OFF

Rest period 60-90 sec with a nice tempo during reps

Sorry if this post is confusing to read. this is a rough draft :)
Poliquin has an outline that is pretty easy to follow. It is pretty close to what you already have going.

pmdied

Awards
I typically do 1 chest superset with one back exercise. Example; dips and pullups.
Then I'll do dead lifts and ONLY dead lifts on another day.
Then squats on another day. But little if any ancillary movements. And I'm usually sore as hell for the next few days.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
Been at a plateau in my squats but everything else climbs fine on my own training so I decided to try 10x10 with no specific TUT or rest periods. Except first 3 sets are 45 sec rest max and from then on I raise it to whatever I need. Weight has climbed by 10 lbs for my squats since starting 3 weeks ago. The soreness doesnt allow me to train every 7 days, Ive been having to wait 10. Its brutal and it was my workout today. Next week will be my last week running this and then will move back to my old program to keep things rolling. All in all, I'm a fan of this set and rep scheme.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[
Been at a plateau in my squats but everything else climbs fine on my own training so I decided to try 10x10 with no specific TUT or rest periods. Except first 3 sets are 45 sec rest max and from then on I raise it to whatever I need. Weight has climbed by 10 lbs for my squats since starting 3 weeks ago. The soreness doesnt allow me to train every 7 days, Ive been having to wait 10. Its brutal and it was my workout today.
Just a few points
As far as this kinda volume in squatting, it may very well be better to start slowly, instead of just jumping head first into this much volume on that exercise. I am surprised you could do any stairs, hahaha!, depending on the weights being used and how much you have squatted over time!?
And trying to do squats on a timer ie: (so many seconds between sets) will certainly be tougher in getting the heavy reps/sets in espeially in the end and you're more working the cardio respiratory stuff IMO.

Also not trying to sell GVT or Smolov et al. short, but personally, I feel 3x5, 5x5, 5x8, 2x15, (at least for squats) is all you need to improve the squat a great deal, especially as a more novice, intermediate or even some advanced guys. If you put in the time and heavy work 80%-85% 1RM, one can get by with most of these twice weekly (once heavy once med to light) and really make huge gains in strength and some BW, especially if they are taking in enough food.
If 10x10 build anything for some trainees, it will be learning to enjoy being pretty darn uncomfortable for a cycle of W/O's.

Anyway, if you worked into the sets of 10x10/volume, (over weeks/months) it would not surprise that you could/would build up to doing it hard and perhaps hitting another session of lighter work a second time in the week and not be crippled by DOMS.
Also, doing a lighter to very light set a 2nd time in the week or some BLDL's, RDL's, SLDL's, leg presses>(good one actually) or something can help the DOMS and aid some in recovery (apparently!?, as I am not sure about making recovery greater than it can actually be in the individual?) but it can help with soreness I believe.

Take into consideration too, you are tall, and taller guys have further and deeper to squat, than shorter guys, which makes more work from less sets ;-)

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
[

Just a few points
As far as this kinda volume in squatting, it may very well be better to start slowly, instead of just jumping head first into this much volume on that exercise. I am surprised you could do any stairs, hahaha!, depending on the weights being used and how much you have squatted over time!?
And trying to do squats on a timer ie: (so many seconds between sets) will certainly be tougher in getting the heavy reps/sets in espeially in the end and you're more working the cardio respiratory stuff IMO.

Also not trying to sell GVT or Smolov et al. short, but personally, I feel 3x5, 5x5, 5x8, 2x15, (at least for squats) is all you need to improve the squat a great deal, especially as a more novice, intermediate or even some advanced guys. If you put in the time and heavy work 80%-85% 1RM, one can get by with most of these twice weekly (once heavy once med to light) and really make huge gains in strength and some BW, especially if they are taking in enough food.
If 10x10 build anything for some trainees, it will be learning to enjoy being pretty darn uncomfortable for a cycle of W/O's.

Anyway, if you worked into the sets of 10x10/volume, (over weeks/months) it would not surprise that you could/would build up to doing it hard and perhaps hitting another session of lighter work a second time in the week and not be crippled by DOMS.
Also, doing a lighter to very light set a 2nd time in the week or some BLDL's, RDL's, SLDL's, leg presses>(good one actually) or something can help the DOMS and aid some in recovery (apparently!?, as I am not sure about making recovery greater than it can actually be in the individual?) but it can help with soreness I believe.

Take into consideration too, you are tall, and taller guys have further and deeper to squat, than shorter guys, which makes more work from less sets ;-)
Squat max is around 315 (I know, weak. But I messed up my hip abductor about 3 years ago so I have to go rather light with squats if I want to go deep) so I did 185 the first week, 190 the second week, and yesterday hit 195. Next week will be 200 and I will go back to my usual leg workouts. I just wanted to switch it up with nothing super particular in mind, as long as it builds size and strength. Diet for sure is in check for putting on mass and it seems to be working well. The size is coming and next time I max squat we'll see how it affected my strength. Ive always been a high volume guy, so that wasnt too big of a shock for me.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squat max is around 315
That's not bad and if you are watching an unjury, I hear ya, it keeps you in the game.

(I know, weak. But I messed up my hip abductor about 3 years ago so I have to go rather light with squats if I want to go deep) so I did 185 the first week, 190 the second week, and yesterday hit 195. Next week will be 200 and I will go back to my usual leg workouts. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan and some simple progression, all the best. 100 reps in a session, even if you don't feel that it is great weight, is still a lot of reps/volume for that W/O ;-)

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Could you customize your lifting program so that you alternate from 10x10 to 8x8?

Example
Weeks 1-4: 10x10

Weeks 5-8: 8x8

Weeks 9-12: 10x10... ?

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
I did see some strength improvement, albeit what I would consider minimal. I think the gains come from pushing your muscles well beyond "normal" workout stress levels. The biggest thing I remember is the soreness in my glutes (from the squats). I was walking like I had used sandpaper for toilet paper.
One other thing I remember now, My lower back was typically in agony by the 8th set. I remember having to quite a few times because by back was DONE........

TexasGuy

Awards
[

Just a few points

I totally agree with 10x10 being quite a bit of volume to jump in to. I finished my month but coming from frequency based routines outlined in my OP it was tough on the joints particularly, which I didn't really expect given training frequency. I wound up taking the last 10 days off to let my knees and elbows recover. I'll be back in the gym tomorrow on a heavy/low rep routine.

WayneD

WayneD

Awards
I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but did you gain mass from doing this. I'm sure you made great gains in strength. Lastly did you do anything different for post workout supplements. I think I'm going to try this

TexasGuy

Awards
I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but did you gain mass from doing this. I'm sure you made great gains in strength. Lastly did you do anything different for post workout supplements. I think I'm going to try this
My weight didn't change but I'm measuring less bodyfat by roughly 2%. I'm not expecting much for strength gains, this isn't a strength routine but I'll have an idea tomorrow. I did not change my diet. In hindsight, I would have upped fish oil intake.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Could you customize your lifting program so that you alternate from 10x10 to 8x8?

Example
Weeks 1-4: 10x10

Weeks 5-8: 8x8

Weeks 9-12: 10x10... ?
Just for the sake of asking/curiosity, why?
And why in particular 8x8 for 3-4 weeks?

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Just for the sake of asking/curiosity, why?
And why in particular 8x8 for 3-4 weeks?
To change up the volume every 4 weeks. Different training intensities. Constantly shocking the muscle. Just a thought that I was having.

pmdied

Awards
Did trap bar deadlifts again this morning and added 20 lbs to the bar over previous session. By the 9th set my legs are shaking. I'm on my third week of this gvt program and already noticing changes in bodyfat and muscle mass. The trick is getting over the monotony of doing only one exercise per body part and then actually finishing all 10 sets.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Did 10x10 for barbell squats for about 2 weeks now. I needed to try something new because I have been lagging on legs; and yes I hit them every week I just been getting bored with my routine. I haven't measured but my quads look thicker to the naked eye... 10x10 are great!

Machmood

Awards
I've seen so many variations of this workout. What is the proper one? Supersets? Once a week, twice a week? Can you post your weekly schedule?