Substitute shoulder excersize for upright rows?

CaseyW

CaseyW

Awards
I've been having some shoulder pain and read the negative stuff about upright rows... Ok. so what do I use to replace them that hits the same area?

Currenlty I do lateral DB raises, Front DB raises, Military press, seated rear delt flys. I know a million different ways to modify the previous 4 but I'm looking for something that has that pulling motion that will not be bad on the rotator cuff. Does a modification exist?

Casey

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I've been having some shoulder pain and read the negative stuff about upright rows... Ok. so what do I use to replace them that hits the same area?

Currenlty I do lateral DB raises, Front DB raises, Military press, seated rear delt flys. I know a million different ways to modify the previous 4 but I'm looking for something that has that pulling motion that will not be bad on the rotator cuff. Does a modification exist?

Casey
YTW's

grandroid828

Awards
face pulls
Im gonna second this. Upright rows trashed my rotator cuff too, and face pulls, well, dont. Lol. Combine them with a good isolative shrug variation, such as one arm smith machine shrugs, which iLOVE. And youll never miss upright rows.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Sorry I'm an acronym flunkee, what is YTW's?
[video=youtube;xCp-YynBEvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE[/video]

I don't get anything from the Ls though, but the YTW's are magnificent, specially focusing on the scapula contraction and full controlled ROM.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would actually suggest dropping the front raises as well. Full ROM dumbbell or military presses and lateral raises, plus face pulls, rear delt raises, etc. should be the major components of your delt training.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would actually suggest dropping the front raises as well. Full ROM dumbbell or military presses and lateral raises, plus face pulls, rear delt raises, etc. should be the major components of your delt training.
curious as to your reasons for dropping front raises

i dropped them out of my workouts awhile ago but for a few reasons:

i know two ppl who messed up their rotator cuff doing front raises with dumbbells with the dumbbell horizontal which is what i witness most ppl doing

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Would you do seated or standing s/press for ROM? Standing you can give yourself some momentum but seated, is harder. Can't lift as much.

-Chris
EBF Rep

grandroid828

Awards
Would you do seated or standing s/press for ROM? Standing you can give yourself some momentum but seated, is harder. Can't lift as much.

-Chris
EBF Rep
For ROM? They should be the same. Effectiveness? I personally like seated cuz you can focus on your shoulders more imo. And as you stated. Less cheating. But rom should be equal on each.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
curious as to your reasons for dropping front raises

i dropped them out of my workouts awhile ago but for a few reasons:

i know two ppl who messed up their rotator cuff doing front raises with dumbbells with the dumbbell horizontal which is what i witness most ppl doing
That's one reason, the impingement of the RC with the exercise, especially since it brings the scapula forward and holding the dumbbells horizontal has the humerus rotated in a way that increases the impingement.

Second reason is because over developed front delts have action on scapula protraction, and the whole movement encourages protraction, and most people do enough protraction work and have over front delts from pressing.

Chris, I suggest doing most of them standing. You can take out the moment by reducing leg drive, and you are forced to press entirely vertical, especially if you keep the core tight while doing it. With seated I see too many people lean back such that it turns into a quasi incline press.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I like wide-grip high pulls, or half pulls. Basically begin the movement by initiating your traps and use the momentum to bring the bar up just below the sternum. I stopped doing upright rows a couple years ago.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like wide-grip high pulls, or half pulls. Basically begin the movement by initiating your traps and use the momentum to bring the bar up just below the sternum. I stopped doing upright rows a couple years ago.
Clean grip and snatch grip high pulls are a pretty good movement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 7
Supplements 14
cbr1000rr Nootropics 47
G34RS Nutrition / Health 12
Supplements 17