Taking a back from strength training...looking for new program

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Taking a break from strength training...looking for new program

Hey guys so I've been doing strength training now for about four months now and I've decided to take a little break. Will be returning to strength in 6 weeks or so by giving 5/3/1 a try for the first time.

So basically I was looking for a 6 week program or just some general thoughts on a higher volume program (endurance based) to run here for a little while. Also wouldnt hurt if I could have some accessory training to aide when I return to my big lifts.

Was thinking of HST, GVT, or maybe just creating my own. Just looking for some opinions

Gracias Senors!

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
Check out HIML-4, muscle and strength.com, i enjoyed it

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Check out HIML-4, muscle and strength.com, i enjoyed it
That might work cause I could run my 5x5 right into it as the first week

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not focus on GPP work. I like to prescribe a unilateral movement phase of about 3-4 weeks prior to starting any high load program, or on myself at least once per year. The load and overall compression and neural component is less, but the muscular demand and need for core stabilization is high. It allows you to do a lot of volume in a session/microcycle without excessively taxing the CNS. At the same time, you build symmetry of muscular strength, work out muscular imbalances, and should at the end see an improvement in movement and all around in the way you feel.

BR

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Why not focus on GPP work. I like to prescribe a unilateral movement phase of about 3-4 weeks prior to starting any high load program, or on myself at least once per year. The load and overall compression and neural component is less, but the muscular demand and need for core stabilization is high. It allows you to do a lot of volume in a session/microcycle without excessively taxing the CNS. At the same time, you build symmetry of muscular strength, work out muscular imbalances, and should at the end see an improvement in movement and all around in the way you feel.

BR

I had never heard of GPP work until now but after doing some looking around Im very intrigued by it. I would like weight training to remain my focus but the more I read about it the more I feel I need it. Reason being while I think Im making gains on my big lifts and have some good strength I don't really consider myself in "shape".

Just to give you an example, I ran some sprints today while I had a break from classes and I did not run much at all. Maybe sprinted for 30 total seconds and then rested 1 minute. I did this only 3 times and the session lasted probably a total of 10-12 minutes (I did some light jogging first). I felt naseaus and light headed and just generally felt out of shape. I also notice a lack in my flexability which I've been working on since It was pointed out to me in another thread when checking my squat technique.

I've always been scared of doing any kind of intense cardio for long periods of time cause I, like most kids who weigh 165-170 pounds, just want to get bigger.

What would a GPP workout look like?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure I completely understand it but does it start with a heavier block and then each following block lowers the percentages but increases the volume?
You have it flipped.

RicFlair

Awards
Sheiko will give you a ton of volume. I haven't ran it myself so I cannot speak to it's efficacy. But have heard good things from very strong guys.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
GPP - it will vary based on what you need. In general, you'll be using more unilateral and body weight (or bw + resistance) type movements, which a larger emphasis on core training. i would suggest including the major lifts once a week using very low volume to maintain technique. You'll also include more conditioning, like sled pulls, sprints, etc.

Br

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
GPP - it will vary based on what you need. In general, you'll be using more unilateral and body weight (or bw + resistance) type movements, which a larger emphasis on core training. i would suggest including the major lifts once a week using very low volume to maintain technique. You'll also include more conditioning, like sled pulls, sprints, etc.

Br
I was looking strongly into purchasing a weighted vest and doing a BW routine but now sure how I would approach this

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure I would prescribe a bodyweight only routine. But the vest is very versatile. Look into pistol squats, etc.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I've been doing a bodyweight only routine for over a year now,
And I've been getting excellent results.
If you program it right, it can work really well.
Good luck

Peace

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I've been doing a bodyweight only routine for over a year now,
And I've been getting excellent results.
If you program it right, it can work really well.
Good luck

Peace
How does your routine look Todd if you don't mind me asking?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I'm not sure I would prescribe a bodyweight only routine. But the vest is very versatile. Look into pistol squats, etc.
What's your reasoning for this zir?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your reasoning for this zir?
Because you are training for strength, and (as I take it) you are concerned about your numbers, such as bench, deadlift, squat, etc. In saying that, I think you should include these or forms of them into your program in one magnitude or another to reinforce their movement patterns.

Toward the bodyweight only routine, (yes, semantics) using a weight vest means you are not doing bw only. Its a form of external weight, and a very versatile one.

What I might suggest is to focus on predominantly closed kinetic chain movements (moving your body + load) through space and increase the resistance as you see fit.

Br

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Because you are training for strength, and (as I take it) you are concerned about your numbers, such as bench, deadlift, squat, etc. In saying that, I think you should include these or forms of them into your program in one magnitude or another to reinforce their movement patterns.

Toward the bodyweight only routine, (yes, semantics) using a weight vest means you are not doing bw only. Its a form of external weight, and a very versatile one.

What I might suggest is to focus on predominantly closed kinetic chain movements (moving your body + load) through space and increase the resistance as you see fit.

Br
I see what you're saying. I certainly still want to be doing the main lifts perhaps 2 days a week with 3 sets of five and then the other two or three days do the CKC movements with the vest and focus on endurance with short rest periods.

Difficult not to over think it at times but I still have some tinkering to do. Thanks again you're very helpful Zir

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
My routine is pretty unorthodox.
I do only closed chain multi joint excersises.

Workout one
Heavy day
Done while wearing a 75 pound Mir weight vest. I train fasted in the morning.
I go from excersise to excersise with no rest.

Dead hang pull ups to failure

Dips to failure (recently switched to Gironda dips).

Hanging front levers to failure.

Squats with a 100 pound sandbag to failure.

Jump squats to failure.

I rest for one minute then repeat for a total of six circuits.

Workout two
Moderate day done with 75 pound weight vest.

Hanging body weight rows with feet elevated, to failure.

Hanging ring push ups with feet elevated, to failure.

Planks to failure.

Box jumps to failure.

Pistol squats to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

I've been doing this for almost a year and a half.
Once a month, I go to the gym and do the big three to gauge my strength.
Since starting this my strength on the big three has gone up.
The one rep max listed in my profile I can get for more than three on each lift.
In addition in the last three months I've managed to put on 7 pounds of lean mass.
That's my workout, I know it's pretty unconventional, but it works for me, and it's made me better at all my hobbies surfing, volleyball, and basketball.

Peace

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like that. Joeyson, you can throw in split squats, RFE split squats, single leg RDL's etc. with the vest to increase leg work.

Todd, what do you consider failure on a jump squat or box jump? Thinking about either of those in high reps makes my knees and achilles hurt.

Br

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I like that. Joeyson, you can throw in split squats, RFE split squats, single leg RDL's etc. with the vest to increase leg work.

Todd, what do you consider failure on a jump squat or box jump? Thinking about either of those in high reps makes my knees and achilles hurt.

Br
On jump squats, when I can no longer get air,
And on box jumps, when I can't reach the box.

Peace

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
My routine is pretty unorthodox.
I do only closed chain multi joint excersises.

Workout one
Heavy day
Done while wearing a 75 pound Mir weight vest. I train fasted in the morning.
I go from excersise to excersise with no rest.

Dead hang pull ups to failure

Dips to failure (recently switched to Gironda dips).

Hanging front levers to failure.

Squats with a 100 pound sandbag to failure.

Jump squats to failure.

I rest for one minute then repeat for a total of six circuits.

Workout two
Moderate day done with 75 pound weight vest.

Hanging body weight rows with feet elevated, to failure.

Hanging ring push ups with feet elevated, to failure.

Planks to failure.

Box jumps to failure.

Pistol squats to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

I've been doing this for almost a year and a half.
Once a month, I go to the gym and do the big three to gauge my strength.
Since starting this my strength on the big three has gone up.
The one rep max listed in my profile I can get for more than three on each lift.
In addition in the last three months I've managed to put on 7 pounds of lean mass.
That's my workout, I know it's pretty unconventional, but it works for me, and it's made me better at all my hobbies surfing, volleyball, and basketball.

Peace
I like this style, may steal some ideas from you Todd lol