Can you add strength without adding size? - AnabolicMinds.com

Can you add strength without adding size?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

Can you add strength without adding size?

I'm getting back into martial arts. My goal is to stay at the weight I'm at so I will be eating at maitnence. How can I add to my lifts?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

yes; lose fat add muscle. Other than that adding strength can be as simple as improving your form or technique. Don't be afraid to workout to add strength, its not like your gonna jump 20 lbs or even 10lbs in a month. Hell not even 2 months. Where are you trying to add strength?
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Eating at your current maintenance will not be a good idea as you have additional activity and stress on the body. You'll need to increase calories and allow the body to adapt to the overreaching period before delving into trying to lose fat.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Eating at your current maintenance will not be a good idea as you have additional activity and stress on the body. You'll need to increase calories and allow the body to adapt to the overreaching period before delving into trying to lose fat.
    His idea of maintenance calories may include his activity level. Like he went online and did that B.S. calorie requirement calculator that asks your daily activity level. But yeah your right.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

Will I keep the muscle I have if I throw cardio in there? Will I need to increase my calories?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

Basically I wanna get into fighting shape and keep the muscle I have. I'm gonna need to do a good amount of cardio and strength training but I wanna keep my muscle and possibly add more without adding fat and possibly losing some fat
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeboyz View Post
    Basically I wanna get into fighting shape and keep the muscle I have. I'm gonna need to do a good amount of cardio and strength training but I wanna keep my muscle and possibly add more without adding fat and possibly losing some fat
    It can be done buts its very hard to do. Its a fine balance of calories and exercise that your just gonna have to toy with. I cant really help you cuz i bulk and cut separately, i have no experience with re-comping.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

That's not going to happen. You may maintain all of your muscle, but adding some isn't going to happen. Depending on how much fat you plan on dropping, you may lose strength simply due to lowered leverages.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

I agree a little with what everyone's said. Eat high and clean calories and you'll see progress. It you want to lose fat and gain muscle as well as have enough energy to fight you're going to have to eat above maintenance if you want to perform at your best. The only thing that sucks is you're going to have to eat AT LEAST 90% clean calories in order to achieve this. Gains will come slow.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

So basically the cleaner I eat the better I will do? And does clean mean no saturated fats and no sugar/white flour?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

And if I'm doing low reps can I still maintain my muscle?
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

So basically the cleaner I eat the better I will do? And does clean mean no saturated fats and no sugar/white flour?
    Eat your sat fats.

And if I'm doing low reps can I still maintain my muscle?
    There are too many factors that play into this to give a definitive yes or no.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. can you get big without training legs?
    By R1balla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
  4. How can you work out your chest without a weight bench??/
    By bishop17 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 11:35 PM