Is my intensity too high?

Creatine

Awards
Running Rippetoes Staring Strength and with the overload scheme I don't feel like I'm getting stronger when the weight increases, I just feel my form is sacrificing. Each session my working sets are done with my 5RM weight and I try to add 5lbs next session but its getting really hard. (My lifts are 185/250/315) When I trained like a BB'er I enjoyed it but strength training is pure hell for me. Am I doing something wrong or is this the case with everyone? i'm eating enough although my sleep could be better. Should I move on to something with weekly progression instead of each training session? I'd appreciate any input

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Running Rippetoes Staring Strength and with the overload scheme I don't feel like I'm getting stronger when the weight increases, I just feel my form is sacrificing. Each session my working sets are done with my 5RM weight and I try to add 5lbs next session but its getting really hard. (My lifts are 185/250/315) When I trained like a BB'er I enjoyed it but strength training is pure hell for me. Am I doing something wrong or is this the case with everyone? i'm eating enough although my sleep could be better. Should I move on to something with weekly progression instead of each training session? I'd appreciate any input
It seems you might have already milked Starting Strength dry, move into 5x5 if you want weekly progression. I would actually recommend more 5/3/1 if you wish to keep a steadier progression and more strength increases.

Creatine

Awards
Thats what I was thinking too. Most people say to run SS until you reach the 4, 3, 2 plate standard for dead squat and bench so I thought I could make some more progress on it but i'll look into 5/3/1. i've heard good things about it

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Thats what I was thinking too. Most people say to run SS until you reach the 4, 3, 2 plate standard for dead squat and bench so I thought I could make some more progress on it but i'll look into 5/3/1. i've heard good things about it
I wouldn't go into cookie cutter recipes for "plates" go by how your body feels and the progression desired. Takes years honestly...as far as that I have seen great progression for my lifts on 5/3/1

boogyman

Awards

I stopped starting strength right around where you did weight wise, but mostly out of boredom. There still are gains to be made if you do resets, try microloading (add 2 1/2lbs instead of 5 each session), or a combination of both.

What I did is go to a 5x5 for 8 weeks, then to a 5-3-1. Research both before making your decision. Westside is another option, while I never ran it a lot of people do with amazing gains.

I do think a period of pure strength training is a good idea for everyone, no matter what their "end goal" might be (bodybuilder, losing weight, whatever). Being ably to handle heavy weights can help in all areas of training, and outside the gym who couldn't use more strength for whatever. I went a few years where I did tons of endurance events, and I still would spend a period of time each year doing pure barbell training.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
ii agree with cel! 5/3/1 has done wonders for me , not only got me to my goals but i blew right past them

Creatine

Awards
I stopped starting strength right around where you did weight wise, but mostly out of boredom. There still are gains to be made if you do resets, try microloading (add 2 1/2lbs instead of 5 each session), or a combination of both.

What I did is go to a 5x5 for 8 weeks, then to a 5-3-1. Research both before making your decision. Westside is another option, while I never ran it a lot of people do with amazing gains.

I do think a period of pure strength training is a good idea for everyone, no matter what their "end goal" might be (bodybuilder, losing weight, whatever). Being ably to handle heavy weights can help in all areas of training, and outside the gym who couldn't use more strength for whatever. I went a few years where I did tons of endurance events, and I still would spend a period of time each year doing pure barbell training.
Thats a good point too, I hear of lots of people moving on to Texas Method or Madcows 5x5 after starting strength and having good results.

wrathchild281

Awards
intesity can never b to high! overtraining is another thing

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Intensity isn't merely a mindset of going hard. It's used, more often than not, to refer to the percentage of 1rm you're using for that particular lift.

Creatine

Awards
Intensity and overtraining go hand in hand...
I definitely agree with this. I'm still running the same routine but have not progressed anymore than the stats in the OP. My lifts have actually gone down since then. I took a rest week and then got sick so my rest week turned into 2 rest weeks. I am only squatting about 185x5 now and it sucks knowing I used to do 225x5. The gym is no longer fun for me, sadly. And I have always loved lifting. Things have just taken an unexpected turn for the worse. I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of overtraining

Sorry for the rant lol. If anyone has input about the above^ please share

Intensity isn't merely a mindset of going hard. It's used, more often than not, to refer to the percentage of 1rm you're using for that particular lift.
Yeah. As much as I don't like percentages, consider this scenario: Say people use 80% of their 1RM to do working sets of 5 with. I think I go too hard, using what feels like %90 - going all out, balls to the wall on every set. I usually do ramping sets to avoid this but it really tires me out which makes me think I'm doing something very wrong. I think I need to slow the pace and lower the weight but that's a very hard thing for me to do psychologically.

I'm kind of in a time crunch with some goals I have set. I want to break a high school lifting record but I'm a senior now and not very close to my goal. Not really sure what to do right now. I'm just gonna get my diet and sleep really well and hope for the best

wrathchild281

Awards
Disagree. Intensity is the short term exertion of energy/mental focus at any current time. Overtraining is caused by either lack of rest/recovery, workout duration.over- Repetitive muscle hypertrophy, lack of adequate nutrition. You can lift weights for 45 mins and have the most intense workout of your life with drop sets, supersets, cycles etc. compared to a 2 hour session going half ass. Workout two is not only not as beneficial but also in higher risk of overtraining.

wrathchild281

Awards
More isn't better. Better is better. Quality over quantity. I've seen guys hit 5 plus excercises for biceps for example. He gets through it with low intensity. A different guy hits only 3 biceps in a workout but has a higher level of intensity than the other. Question, which one reaches muscle hyoertophy without the higher risk of overtraining.. The more intense lifter with the almost half overall duration as the other.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In strength and conditioning, intensity is how close to your 1 RM (or fastest running speed, or highest velocity movement speed) the exercise is. Relative intensity is how to close your ## RM you are working. For example, high intensity is 8 x 1 @ 98% 1 RM, high relative intensity is 3 x 10 @ 10 RM weight.

The higher the intensity, the greater the CNS involvement. The CNS needs time to recover and "recharge', and often requires more time than the muscles themselves. When intensity is high, volume and/or frequency must be lowered. The consequence of ignoring this relationship is over reaching and eventual over training.

Intensity is the short term exertion of energy/mental focus at any current time.
This is the unofficial, muscle magazine/bro definition of intensity. It has its place (and I wish we could think of a new name for it not to confuse the two), and mental psyching can contribute to a greater RM, and likely plays a role in CNS load as well, its just difficult to quantify, measure, and study.

Semantics aside, the context of this conversation, and most research and programming you read, intensity will refer to a % of maximum, not psychological.

Creatine

Awards
Thanks for the replies guys

In strength and conditioning, intensity is how close to your 1 RM (or fastest running speed, or highest velocity movement speed) the exercise is. Relative intensity is how to close your ## RM you are working. For example, high intensity is 8 x 1 @ 98% 1 RM, high relative intensity is 3 x 10 @ 10 RM weight.

The higher the intensity, the greater the CNS involvement. The CNS needs time to recover and "recharge', and often requires more time than the muscles themselves. When intensity is high, volume and/or frequency must be lowered. The consequence of ignoring this relationship is over reaching and eventual over training.

This is the unofficial, muscle magazine/bro definition of intensity. It has its place (and I wish we could think of a new name for it not to confuse the two), and mental psyching can contribute to a greater RM, and likely plays a role in CNS load as well, its just difficult to quantify, measure, and study.

Semantics aside, the context of this conversation, and most research and programming you read, intensity will refer to a % of maximum, not psychological.
Good info - I always thought intensity was just how hard you're lifting. Either way, I think I am experiencing overtraining. I'm going to start Madcows 5x5 on monday because it has ramping sets which I like unlike Texas Method