Gaining Symmetry?

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
Let me start by saying that I dislocated my (L) shoulder in 07'...no surgery just a fixed brace plus rehab, front Labrum tear. Fast forward to now and I am two weeks into a natty stack that is piling on the lean muscle and showing more overall definition. Since that is happening I am noticing that my left side is smaller albeit more defined (weird) than my right. the main places I notice this are my front Delt to outside/upper Pectoral, Lat and Trap. (pretty much everywhere I guess, LoL).

My questions is how do I go about bringing my left side more in line with my right? My initial thoughts were more reps or heavier weight on that side. I am just not sure.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
If possible I'd have a spotter check out your form to make sure that you're doing the same movements with both sides. If your form matches and symmetry is still an issue, you might want to try some ultra-slow reps or some high rep work in the beginning of your workouts to get the nerves all firing and to develop the mind/muscle connection.

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
If possible I'd have a spotter check out your form to make sure that you're doing the same movements with both sides. If your form matches and symmetry is still an issue, you might want to try some ultra-slow reps or some high rep work in the beginning of your workouts to get the nerves all firing and to develop the mind/muscle connection.
So if my form is good and I concentrate on the mind muscle connection the body should take of it? To your comment about the ultra-slow reps, is that just on the side that is smaller?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I think if your form is good and you're being mindful of the muscles you're engaging, you'll be able to focus on the areas which are lagging and bring them up. I wouldn't say your "body should take care of it" because really it's going to be up to you as to how quickly you start making the changes you need to. Just try and "feel" the lagging areas and try and get a good squeeze in them when you're training them. I hope it helps!

As per the ultra-slow reps, I'd say do them on both sides. They're good for you because you're not using momentum and you're increasing time under tension, so they're going to be hard. Don't try and use the same weights you normally would though, because you should be shooting for 10 second reps. 5 sec eccentrics, 5 sec concentrics.

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
thanks!