Training to maintain/gain muscle, and lose bf!?

Jwag17

Awards
I have been thinking about this for a looooong time, is there any way to truely workout and lose bodyfat and still maintain muscle, or even gain it? I have heard time and time again, if your trying to pack on muscle, all cardio does is eat the results away. Is this necessairly true? Reason being for this question is, I am filling out really good and gaining ****loads of muscle, but I still have this belly, and man boobs(not gyno or anything) I just used to be a fat kid when I was younger and its hard for me to lose weight around my midsection and pecs. Any help would be awesome guys!!!!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
recomp.....eat slightly higher than maintenance.....u could look into things like lean xtreme, reduce xt...

Jwag17

Awards
recomp.....eat slightly higher than maintenance.....u could look into things like lean xtreme, reduce xt...
By recomp you mean? I am taking rasberry keytone right now and it seems to help a little. Will products like lean xtreme force me to lose muscle as well in the process? I do heavy weight low rep training right now should I switch to low weight high rep? I am really just trying not to lose these gains I have already worked so har for, but without going to PH's

UNKwr

German body comp might be worth looking into! Basically high rep with low rest in between so it's a form of cardio and weight training. It was developed by Poliquin, and he found that that GBC raises lactate levels in blood plasma which creates hypertrophy... Just my 2 cents.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
German body comp might be worth looking into! Basically high rep with low rest in between so it's a form of cardio and weight training. It was developed by Poliquin, and he found that that GBC raises lactate levels in blood plasma which creates hypertrophy... Just my 2 cents.
sorta like circuit training......products like lx will help to add/maintain muscle while losing bf, your diet has to be right though

Jwag17

Awards
What exactly is Hypertrophy? I know I sound like a complete nooob but up until not I have only focused on high weight and sets of 8-12 reps. So If I did this german body comp or "circuit training" would I have to do treadmill cardio along with it or would that act as the cardio completely? Not to stray off topic here but would something like haloplex allow me to achieve the goal of cutting down and gaining muscle? I am really afraid of ph's more than anything but am not opposed to them. Do products like lx have ephedra in them? I am just not very impressed with a lot of weightloss supps because a lot of them claim wayyy more than they actually do.

UNKwr

sorta like circuit training......products like lx will help to add/maintain muscle while losing bf, your diet has to be right though
Yep. It basically is a circuit, which would work for OP seeking to gain/maintain mass while continuing to cut.
Diet has to be right for whatever kind of benefits you're looking to attain, whether that's cut or bulk or whatever. I guess I assumed that was a given.

UNKwr

What exactly is Hypertrophy? I know I sound like a complete nooob but up until not I have only focused on high weight and sets of 8-12 reps. So If I did this german body comp or "circuit training" would I have to do treadmill cardio along with it or would that act as the cardio completely? Not to stray off topic here but would something like haloplex allow me to achieve the goal of cutting down and gaining muscle? I am really afraid of ph's more than anything but am not opposed to them. Do products like lx have ephedra in them? I am just not very impressed with a lot of weightloss supps because a lot of them claim wayyy more than they actually do.
Hypertrophy is basically the gains that you'll see from an increase in the size of muscle fiber as well as connective tissue, etc. Typically, sets of 8-12 are known as ranges that will help with hypertrophy type gains, whereas 4-6 is typically more strength gains and 4 or less is power - which is why most athletes use 5 reps max on any kind of hang clean set, etc.

Some of the more popular cutters on this board, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) seem be Dexaprine (sp?) and Alpha T-2. Combine those with a good protein and a clean diet and I'm sure you will see the benefits.

EDIT: Most people tend to do very little, if any treadmill/traditional cardio with GBC if you follow the resting protocol as you should.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You could just carb cycle. It's a tried and true method that's stood the test of time. Plenty of people make gains carb cycling, and obviously you'll lose fat. With such a program you would eat a high carb/calorie diet on training days and lower carb/lower calorie diet on off days.

Jwag17

Awards
So basically since I am doing high weight 8-12 reps I am already sort of in a way doing the Hypertrophy method? If you guys could cretique my workout schedual that would be great to.
Sun-chest 1.5 hrs
Mon-Bicep Tricep 1.5hrs
Weds-Shoulders 1hr
Thursday-Back/legs
Friday Rest
Sat rest

I eat a fairly clean diet of lots of protien in my foods as well as whole grains, I also drink 3-4 protein shakes a day

Jwag17

Awards
You could just carb cycle. It's a tried and true method that's stood the test of time. Plenty of people make gains carb cycling, and obviously you'll lose fat. With such a program you would eat a high carb/calorie diet on training days and lower carb/lower calorie diet on off days.
I have never heard of carb cycling. I have always been under the impression CARBS are the enemy. But there are good and bad carbs correct? Like white bread and rice has lots of sugary carbs that will be stored as fat, whereas whole grains and wheats are good for you and will not store fat like the latter will?