help

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
What is a good routine for a chest/back in the same workout.

tobejb

Awards
Can I hear you routine for the rest of the week, and what's your goal? Strength , size . Lean muscle ?

tobejb

Awards
Can I ask your routine for rest of week and goal? Strength size lean muscle??

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
Mon chest back.
Tues abs-cardio
Wed legs Tri
Thur same as Tuesday
Fri shoulder bis

I'm trying to put on a little size.
I've been in the gym since Jan 17 2011. I started at 217. Bad weight. Dropped yo 153 now I'm 168. But I'm trying something new BC I feel like I hit a wall and progress has stopped

Rog336

Awards
A little more info please: how much time would you like to be in the gym on training days and do you prefer doing a lot of volume (e.g. 12-15+ sets per body part) or low volume/high intensity (1-6 sets)? I've been training for 27 years and I currently train chest and back together. Not counting warmups, I do 3 sets each of chest and back width (5, 10, 15 reps) and two sets of back thickness (5 and 10 reps) and that's it. I also do 3 sets of 20 reps each for abs and calves on these days. I love this style of training and am in the gym for about an hour... In case you're wondering, I'm 50, 5' 8" 215 lbs @ 13% bodyfat.

Rog336

Awards
How long do you like to spend in the gym each day and not counting warm-ups, do you prefer higher volume (12-15+ sets per bodypart) or lower volume/high intensity (3-6 sets per bodypart) or what? I train chest and back in the same workout. One exercise for chest (3 sets-5/10/15 reps) and one exercise each for back width (3 sets-5/10/15 reps) and back thickness (2 sets-5/10 reps). I also do 3 sets of 20 reps for calves and abs on this day as well. I love this style of training (I call it Phil Hernon inspired training) and I could never go back to conventional higher volume training.... BTW, I've been training for 27 years, am 215 lbs (started at 145), 5' 8" @ 13% bodyfat... Thought I'd throw that in since I'm new to the forum...

Rog336

Awards
How long do you usually spend in the gym? Do you prefer high volume (12-15+ sets per bodypart after warm-ups) or low volume/high intensity (1-6 sets per bodypart)? I train chest and back together with abs and calves. In addition to doing 3 sets of 20 each of an an and calve exercise, I do 3 sets each of a chest and back width exercise (5, 10, then 15 reps) and 2 sets of a back thickness exercise (5 then 10 reps). I love this type of training, am making great gains, and could never go back to high volume training! Btw, I've been training for 27 years, am 215 lbs (started at 145) @ 13% bodypart... Thought I would throw that in since I'm new to the forum...

tobejb

Awards
Try this pal it's my current workout see if it helps

Monday:
1. Flat Bench - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps - one down set of 10 reps

2. Dumbbell Incline Presses - warmup to 3 sets of 6 reps - one down
set of 10 reps

3. Dumbbell Flyes - 4 sets of 6-8 reps

4. Straight-bar curls - 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps

5. Curl-bar curls - 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps

6. Alt. Seated Curls - 3 sets of 6-8 reps

Tuesday:

1. Squats - warmup to 3 sets of 6 reps - one down set of 10 reps

2. Leg Presses - 3 sets of 6 reps

3. Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 6 reps

4. Leg Curls - 3 sets of 6 reps

Thursday:

1. Close Grip Bench Presses - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

2. Miltary (bar in front) or Dumbbell Presses - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

3. Triceps Pushdown - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

4. Reverse Grip Pushdowns - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

5. Lateral (side) Dumbell Raises - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

6. Front Raises - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

Friday:

1. Deadlifts - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

2. Seated Cable Rows - warmup to 3 sets of 5 reps

3. Lat Pulldowns (front of back) - 3 sets of 6 reps

4. One-Arm Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 6 reps
You could probly add a superset so some of these but I wouldn't do any more than that. And if your looking to gain size keep away from the cardio dude. How's this look for you?

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
Looks good. I only do. The 2 days of cardio very. Light just to kinda offset the mad amount if food I eat now trying to gain size. Maybe 10 minutes 2 days a week. But I'm just learning so ill try and cut it out fir a couple weeks and see where it gets me

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Try this pal it's my current workout see if it helps
Only 5 of your exercises are for the posterior kinetic chain. The rest are all anterior. This is asking for some serious imbalance issues.

I would double the back and hamstring work, and reduce the chest/shoulder/arms work by 33%

Br

tobejb

Awards
Only 5 of your exercises are for the posterior kinetic chain. The rest are all anterior. This is asking for some serious imbalance issues.

I would double the back and hamstring work, and reduce the chest/shoulder/arms work by 33%

Br
Yo could you re explain that dude

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sure, for the upper body you have 9 pushing exercises that involve the shoulder joint. All these exercises work the anterior kinetic chains (pecs, anterior/medial delts, scapula protractors, etc.). On the flip side, you 3 exercises that involve pulling at the shoulder joint.

This is an imbalance of exercise programming that will result in muscular imbalances and postural deviations of the shoulder joint.

My suggestion, for every horizontal push (chest press, close grip press, etc.) pick a horizontal pull (barbell row, t-bar, row, etc.). For every minor horizontal push (chest flye, delt raises) pick a rear delt type exercise (face pulls, rear delt raises, etc.).
The same for vertical pushes (military presses, db over head presses, etc.) choose a vertical pull such as pull ups.

The lower body is not as bad, though I feel you need more direct hamstring work from the hip joint, such as rumanian dead lifts or glute ham raises, as well as some direct glute work such as glute bridges or reverse hyper extensions. I'd also suggest getting some bilateral work (lunges, single leg rdls, etc.) in there.

Br

tobejb

Awards
Sure, for the upper body you have 9 pushing exercises that involve the shoulder joint. All these exercises work the anterior kinetic chains (pecs, anterior/medial delts, scapula protractors, etc.). On the flip side, you 3 exercises that involve pulling at the shoulder joint.

This is an imbalance of exercise programming that will result in muscular imbalances and postural deviations of the shoulder joint.

My suggestion, for every horizontal push (chest press, close grip press, etc.) pick a horizontal pull (barbell row, t-bar, row, etc.). For every minor horizontal push (chest flye, delt raises) pick a rear delt type exercise (face pulls, rear delt raises, etc.).
The same for vertical pushes (military presses, db over head presses, etc.) choose a vertical pull such as pull ups.

The lower body is not as bad, though I feel you need more direct hamstring work from the hip joint, such as rumanian dead lifts or glute ham raises, as well as some direct glute work such as glute bridges or reverse hyper extensions. I'd also suggest getting some bilateral work (lunges, single leg rdls, etc.) in there.

Br
Alright awesome cheers for the info , just finnished up that routine , I'll incorporate your ideas into my next one :)