How do you lift/train?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

How do you lift/train?

Lots of splits and routines out there. I know currently my routine is 3 days off 4 days on.
    I usually work 2 muscle groups a day and about 3-4 exercises each muscle group. I may hit cardio on off days or maybe after a workout. My work out is listed below.
    Monday: chest and biceps
    Tuesday: legs
    Thursday: back & calves
    Saturday: should & triceps (abs)
    My question is I seen a new routine that's 3 days on for lifting the other days are either cardio or off days and the routine is set up like an upper body day and a lower body day with 8 exercises for each day and then there's a full body day.... Does that sound beneficial?
    I came across another routine that's 4 days on as well 2 uppers and 2 lowers. It seems with these routines you get make-up time if you didn't hit it hard enough the last time and more opportunity to work the muscle as I heard you only need 48 hours to recover usually. It just these routines seem intense but do you think they will give better gains to a novice?

Finally what are some favorite splits & routines you guys like?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.

I LOVED 3x a week splits, and FULLBODY routines. Done M,W,F. Lots of recovery time, and just make sure you make the lifts count ie: Lots of compounds.

I really dont know why more people dont train like this, I myself recently fell into the bodypart splits (5 days a week) and def. didnt make any better gains.
  3. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantell
    I LOVED 3x a week splits, and FULLBODY routines. Done M,W,F. Lots of recovery time, and just make sure you make the lifts count ie: Lots of compounds.

I really dont know why more people dont train like this, I myself recently fell into the bodypart splits (5 days a week) and def. didnt make any better gains.
    You think your gains are better on 3 day full body split.
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Tues ME lower
    Thurs ME press
    Sat DE lower
    Sun DE press
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  5. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop
    Tues ME lower
    Thurs ME press
    Sat DE lower
    Sun DE press
    How many exercises for each muscle group?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    How many exercises for each muscle group?
    1-2 depending on where im sucking. its westside

thursday would go like this

BP variantion to 3rm or 1rm
    tricep pressing movement like db press 3 x whatever
    tricep pushdown 3 x whatever
    front + rear raisies 2-4 x whatever
    heavy abs

i do back on lower days, thats only difference in my version vs the original. you add or subtract exercsies for muscle groups as you need to.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantell View Post

This is working well fore me also. I got into the body building " 1 million sets of 1 million exercises per body part" ok bit of an exaggeration. But There was some serious overtraining going on with me. once I started HIgh Intensity Training with a 3 day full body workout. Been awesome. Lots of energy, not over training. lost some weight might I add(FAT). I still get a day I just want to bang out a body part or two...and its fun. but I go right back to my 3 fullbody workouts for the time being.

RECOVERBRO

8. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JoHNnyNuTZ

This is working well fore me also. I got into the body building " 1 million sets of 1 million exercises per body part" ok bit of an exaggeration. But There was some serious overtraining going on with me. once I started HIgh Intensity Training with a 3 day full body workout. Been awesome. Lots of energy, not over training. lost some weight might I add(FAT). I still get a day I just want to bang out a body part or two...and its fun. but I go right back to my 3 fullbody workouts for the time being.
    How many exercises for each muscle do you do when you're on a full body?

Can you give me a daily breakdown and how long does it take to complete your work out?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

OK this is like the Basic of basic routine. You can switch out for appropriate body parts. I do a different exercise each day to mix it up a bit. But stick to the basics.
    warm up for 5-10 minutes on bike treadmill
    then 1 -2 warmup sets then 1 all out b@lls to the wall set!!!!

leg curl
    leg extension
    leg press
    straight arm pullover
    benchpress
    bentover row
    overhead press
    biceps curl
    tricep extension
    wrist curl
    standing calf raise
    trunk curl

Like I said. This was the basic. Lately Ive been doing squats first on one day, Deadlifts on another...so on and so forth
    usually takes anywhere between 45 -60 minutes.

RECOVERBRO

10. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

OK this is like the Basic of basic routine. You can switch out for appropriate body parts. I do a different exercise each day to mix it up a bit. But stick to the basics.

leg curl
    leg extension
    leg press
    straight arm pullover
    benchpress
    bentover row
    overhead press
    biceps curl
    tricep extension
    wrist curl
    standing calf raise
    trunk curl

Like I said. This was the basic. Lately Ive been doing squats first on one day, Deadlifts on another...so on and so forth
    So that's like you're 6-9 sets for a muscle group each week depending on the exercise if my math is correct.
    Doesn't sound too bad. I usually do about 3 exercises each group and about 3-4 sets once per week. I feel like I need more...
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

yeah..when you think about like as the full week the yes..your htting each body part 3 times....I love it. Like I said. I still have days Im shot(work in a metal shop, very physical) so I go in and bang out like 2-3 body parts, bodybuilding style(more for the pump). The days I feel good and fresh...HEAVY WEIGHTS.....LOTS OF PAIN!!!!

RECOVERBRO

12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

dc for me. not right now though as im still rehabing from shoulder surgery. im able to lift now with light weights but no where near ready for dc. hopefully by late spring or summer ill be ready to get back to it
    Noob looking for alot of guidance
    I've got a hold of some omnadren 250(is sustanon better?) and I'm pretty much clueless about steroids. All i know about it is that it easily aromatizes and it holds alot of water
  13. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

yeah..when you think about like as the full week the yes..your htting each body part 3 times....I love it. Like I said. I still have days Im shot(work in a metal shop, very physical) so I go in and bang out like 2-3 body parts, bodybuilding style(more for the pump). The days I feel good and fresh...HEAVY WEIGHTS.....LOTS OF PAIN!!!!
    I may try it again about 2-3 exercises each muscle group full body. Last time I tried it I was exhausted....

Wonder if that will yield better results.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

when I break it down. its really only like 1-2 exercises. I mean when I do leg ext and leg curls...they are kinda THE warmup for HEAVY leg press or squats other than that its really only 1 exercise per body part. Try that..just 1 exercise...then after a week or two ad an additinal exercise IF you feel the need. Usually my second exercise is more of a pump....example bench press...then if Im feeling froggy, Ill do pec deck or cable cross over...Same thing with back...Bent over rows, then if and only if im feelingit...then maybe a lighter set of lat pull downs.
    But dont over do it....start off real basic pick like 6-8 exercises...then depending how you feel, add in an exercise or two. You wont believe how, by just adding 1 new exercise to the routine, you will feel it. And may choose not to next time

RECOVERBRO

15. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

when I break it down. its really only like 1-2 exercises. I mean when I do leg ext and leg curls...they are kinda THE warmup for HEAVY leg press or squats other than that its really only 1 exercise per body part. Try that..just 1 exercise...then after a week or two ad an additinal exercise IF you feel the need. Usually my second exercise is more of a pump....example bench press...then if Im feeling froggy, Ill do pec deck or cable cross over...Same thing with back...Bent over rows, then if and only if im feelingit...then maybe a lighter set of lat pull downs.
    But dont over do it....start off real basic pick like 6-8 exercises...then depending how you feel, add in an exercise or two. You wont believe how, by just adding 1 new exercise to the routine, you will feel it. And may choose not to next time
    I think that's the problem I was doing like 2 exercises each group lol.
    Do you have a week where you go light/heavy or do it through out the week?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Oh yeah I forgot a major part..You def need a log book. Find out what you 8 rep max is.....once you do that..you stay on that weight until you can do 12 reps...may take a week or may take a month...but then and only then you move up only 5-10 pounds. So your about 6-8 reps. And repeat. Cool thing is you SEE yourself getting stronger..your log dont lie to you. And also, like i was saying, somedays Im burnt out, but I only gave times on certain days to train, so Ill go in and YES do lighter weiht higher reps, still though, with that intensity. You will learn your body and only YOU will know for certain if you need to tone it down a bit

RECOVERBRO

17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

DC changed the way I approach working out. I don't follow it anymore because at my age I'm more prone to injuries. I did 3 sets of reverse grip pull downs for triceps and I was out for six months Where I could not button a shirt due to tears in both my wrists. Not to mention the common shoulder problems.

But it gave me new pespective to training and I have been adding reps or adding weights for the past 6 months. Some of it regaining what I lost of course but I also hit new PRs.

Johny is right on about the log book (sorry, it said I cannot rep you again aI have to spread the love first grrrr). If there is only one thing you can incorporate, it is keeping a log book and trying to beat it every week. I write down my workouts, weights, reps, and comments if I had any and every time I hit the gym, my goal is to get 1 more rep or add more weight and I rely heavily on my log book. I'm trying to think of new things to add to the log to make it more helpful in the future.
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

A mix of Westside and 5/3/1. It keeps things fresh and trains all three areas (max effort, dynamic effect, repetition).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Exactly. I have like 3 books from the last 3 years..LOL. But I go back and check notes...For instance. I remember when I was trying to get a certain weight for barbell curls. In my notes it said the week before I got the reps I was looking for BUT I loosened form and rest paused for last 2. To me that doesnt mean I GOT the weight. When you can get to your target with strict form and no compromises is only when you move up. You really need to leave your ego at the door...and be honest with yourself

RECOVERBRO

20. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

I've been looking at routines on muscle and brawn and also other sites. May switch to a full body to hit my muscles multiple time per week.

^Why do you think the fullbody work out routines work so well? It can be major intensity is it because you using it multiple times per week?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Personally from experience..I cant really keep up with the bodybuilding volume 5-6 days a week, unless Im on some "Goodies". When training all natural, at least for me, get burnt out quick. I mean I can do it for maybe a month maybe 2 but after that I lose motivation no energy. Just plain sucks...Dont get me wrong Body building is what got me into lifting.
    Why I think 3 fullbody workouts is that your hitting everything, producing a good anabolic environment to grow, and you get to rest alot more often. When you hit the weights again, you hit the same muscles again, repeat...you know. Hey you may love it and then move on after that. For now thats whats working for me. Winter is here so I like to lift as heavy as possible(hold a little more bodyweight) But I cant necessarily do 1 rep max deadlifts(seeing how I hit 500 pounds last winter) 3 times a week. Your endocrine system cannot keep up. So I so like 2 fullbodies and a leg day or say deadlift day.
    There is no set in stone workout. You have the basics that work. A basic rep range that works. But after a little while certain things that are working for others may not work for you, hence the reason I suggest to give a try for a couple months

RECOVERBRO

22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    ^Why do you think the fullbody work out routines work so well? It can be major intensity is it because you using it multiple times per week?
    It's a shot in the dark, but a very high GH release (and more IGF-1?) from such a high intensity workout may play a role. It's like high volume workouts except without the overtraining and subsequent negative effects associated with high volume, so you have better recovery and frequency (same body parts being hit 3x week = 3x growth).

I have a few friends who are very injury prone, and I always recommend they do full body workouts. It's the best for them. That way, no heavy weights to push their stabilizers, no huge volume to exhaust small muscles that can put them at risk of injury, and they are able to lift for a year straight at least without interruption, and they grow from it.
  23. Registered User

leg curl
    leg extension
    leg press
    straight arm pullover
    benchpress
    bentover row
    overhead press
    biceps curl
    tricep extension
    wrist curl
    standing calf raise
    trunk curl

Just joined up today. I been hitting the gym consistently since my early 20s (presently 40ish). I mix up my routines every couple months to keep the muscles stimulated. I like this full body 3x week routine. I think i gonna start it tomorrow. I appreciate your input.
  24. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

This is what I'm going to try just have to throw in some shrugs an wrist curls
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  25. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Tried last night worked out ok, lagged a bit but non the less it was great. 1 thing I noticed is that by doing this it seems you can actually keep ya strength up too.
    I thought this routine was a beginners only full body but it nice to know that some advanced users are doing it too most guys do splits or 1 group a week type of deal....
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

in the past i have done most things from full body everyday to total minutia body part splits spread over 7 days. most didnt work as i didnt get all the variables right.

currently i do:
    tuesdays squat
    thursdays bench
    friday deadlifts
    sunday overhead when i train solo, strongman day if i train with friends
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

I prefer mostly full body, although I do have to keep some things in mind since I workout 5-6 days a week. For example, if I do a bunch of tractor tire flips on Monday, I won't be deadlifting for a few days. I do very little isolation work, but I do add some towards the end of my workouts if there's an area I think I need to bring up. I'd say what I do would be best described as a cross between CrossFit, strong man, circuit training, and a little bit of bodybuilding, partially for vanity, partially to increase my capacity for certain full body moves.
    Get strawng!
  28. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRock
    I prefer mostly full body, although I do have to keep some things in mind since I workout 5-6 days a week. For example, if I do a bunch of tractor tire flips on Monday, I won't be deadlifting for a few days. I do very little isolation work, but I do add some towards the end of my workouts if there's an area I think I need to bring up. I'd say what I do would be best described as a cross between CrossFit, strong man, circuit training, and a little bit of bodybuilding, partially for vanity, partially to increase my capacity for certain full body moves.
    Wish I had access to tire flips
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

I have three huge tractor tires and didn't pay for any of them. Farmers are usually happy to find someone who wants them when they're done.
    Get strawng!
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRock View Post
    I have three huge tractor tires and didn't pay for any of them. Farmers are usually happy to find someone who wants them when they're done.
    i can second that. the guy i got my 3 tires from wanted to pay me! lol. seriously. if you cant find a local farmer see if you can find like a john deere or caterpillar dealership.

now if i could just find some empty kegs........
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Forearm pain??? To lift or not to lift?
    By Mikegun in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
  5. Where do you guys lift/train?
    By dieseldude in forum General Chat
    Replies: 57