How to gain results

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
I'm a 16 year old and have been lifting for about 3 months.I train back and biceps on one day and chest,triceps and shoulders on another and I train each of them twice a week.I don't seem to be getting any gains other than I don't feel sore anymore after my workouts.I feel like starting the 4x mass workout by ironman magazine but I'm not sure if It really works.is it normal or I should have gained some size by now.any advices?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...people born in 1995 are 16? Damn I'm old.

Dude, go look up starting strength and go from there. Learn to deadlift, squat, overhead press and bench press properly. Just training upper body 4 days a week is gonna make you imbalanced. You need something basic with plenty of compound lifts performed frequently so you can learn their technique.

Progress will be dictated by your diet and your recovery modalities. I.e. don't eat enough, or not enough of the right thing and you won't gain. Don't get enough sleep, you'll hinder gains.

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
Yeap people born on 1995 is 16.haha thanks very much on the advice .so how Should I know if what I am doing is working And producing gains.is there a period of time where I should have gained some results by then?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...people born in 1995 are 16? Damn I'm old.

Dude, go look up starting strength and go from there. Learn to deadlift, squat, overhead press and bench press properly. Just training upper body 4 days a week is gonna make you imbalanced. You need something basic with plenty of compound lifts performed frequently so you can learn their technique.

Progress will be dictated by your diet and your recovery modalities. I.e. don't eat enough, or not enough of the right thing and you won't gain. Don't get enough sleep, you'll hinder gains.
Reiterating what Resolve has said, a lot of your gains will come with not just proper training but with a proper diet. Make sure to eat a lot of (animal) protein and take in at least 3000 calories/day. After a month if you think you're getting fat, scale the calories down. If you're not putting on muscle like a monster, eat more.

In terms of training, once you're comfortable with the mechanics of the squat, deadlift, and bench press, your exercise routine should really center around those three movements: squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing; along with pullups and overhead pressing/shoulder/military pressing. All other movements are to assist you in getting better at the main movements and should be considered secondary to squatting, deadlifting, benching, doing pullups, and shoulder pressing. If your program emphasizes these movements, just stick with it for a while and make sure to eat properly.

Eventually you may like to look up starting strength, or one of the 5x5 programs (some here like Stronglifts 5x5, I've always heard Bill Starr's 5x5 is a good, too) to continue your gains.

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
Thanks really alot.that gave me a clearer view on what to do.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should be able to increase the weight you lift or the number of reps you can perform with a given load. You should gain 1/2-2lb per week, depending on your metabolism and diet (because you're a beginner and a teen you should be able to gain weight more quickly than more experienced, older lifters).

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Eat a lot and up your protein intake!!! When I was 16, I thought a tuna sandwich after each workout was enough protein to swell-up. Protein is the key my friend!!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eat eat eat. do compound lifts like 5x5 routine or something along the lines of that. those chest/tris splits are crap for beginners and teens. your muscles arent even mature yet. you would benefit greatly from compound lifts and going heavy

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
No problem!I'l do more compound Movements from now on.

Turnitup122

Awards
Squat and deadlift