Am I doing the right thing?

MCLee2

Awards
Hi everyone,
Im new to the forum. Looking for some advice on training and weightloss.

I have been working out for a few years, but not seriously. I have neglected my legs and have beginner strength for them.

After doing some research I thought that the best program for me was Starting Strength. I have been doing that for the last month and I like the strength gains I am seeing, but I am worried about my bodyfat. I am currently around 21% using the military's tape measure method.

Everything I have read so far says that starting strength should be done on a bulking diet. I really dont want my bodyfat to get any higher than it is right now, and over the last few weeks it has gone up slightly.

I guess right now I am more concerned with getting rid of the fat until I am below 15% bodyfat and then focusing on gaining strength.

Should I stay on SS and just tweak my diet and cardio?

Or is there a different routine I should do?

Any advice on what I should do to help me get to 15% bf would be greatly appreciated!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
really just diet control can get you there. Its trying to get below 10% where you have to really worry about what exactly you are doing workout + cardio wise. 15% is still just "normal" bodyfat level

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I am in the military too man. The tape test is the most outrageous way of guessing bf. Start working out your neck man! Get that bad boy to a 18 inch neck and you will always be ok.

MCLee2

Awards
So do you suggest I stay on Starting Strength while cutting calories and increasing cardio?

Or is there a different type of routine that would be better to use for the next few months while I am cutting down to around 15% bf?

I had heard some people say higher rep ranges are better when trying to lose fat, but then there are others who say to use low rep ranges while cutting to try and maintain strength... Opinions on that?

I appreciate any help I can get here,
Thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
really just working out seriously and regularly with whatever routine will help. The high rep schemes carry that connotation of helping with fatloss because they are done more aerobic style so maybe burn a few more calories. big deal, its easier to clip that same 100 calories out of diet than doing the high rep workouts. I'd just start slowly scaling back calories, not by a lot, and maybe scale them back further on days you don't workout.

MCLee2

Awards
OK, I think this is what I've decided on if I get an approval from people here...

Diet: I will use Lean Gains IF and eat at maintenance on workout days and 500 cals below on off days

Cardio: Fasted AM cardio on off days and on days I lift - 20min post workout

Routine:

Monday- Back/Biceps
Deadlifts 4x5
Chin-Ups 4x6
Rows 4x8
Barbell Curls 3x10

Wednesday-Chest/Triceps
Bench Press 4x5
Dips 3x8
Incline DB Press 3x10
Skullcrushers or Close Grip BP 3x12

Friday- Legs/Shoulders
Squats 4x5
SLDL 4x8
Calf Raises 4x12
Military Press- 4x6

Please critique all of the above, Thanks again for the help!