Want to start HST, but have a few ?s first

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Ive recently come across an informative site(IMO) regarding HST and really want to give it a go round seeing as how my gains have come to a stand still and I REALLY need something different.

Ive read a bunch of the threads on the site I found but there were a few things I didnt completely understand and I know there are a number of highly educated people here who could probably help get me going.

My main question is, Ive read where a lot of guys mentioned 1s, 2s, & 3s referring to the 3 sets of 2 week intervals. I think they are talking about the amount of sets done during each interval, as in 15x1 set for two weeks, 10x2 sets for two weeks, and 5x3 sets for the last two weeks. Am I right on this?

I would have asked on the other board I saw but it didnt appear to have nearly as much activity as there is here on AM.

Thanks in advance as Im sure more questions will come up as I go but thats all for now.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Bump...cause I plan on starting this routine in the morning.

Papadopulos

Papadopulos

Awards
You could just look at the HST website?

Hypertrophy-specific-training

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Sorry bro I cant help you. I have looked into it but I never really did a lot of research on it

KashMoni

KashMoni

Awards
I ran HST over a year ago and loved it. If my memory serves me right, the way I did it was 2 sets all the way across through the 3 intervals. As weights increased, reps decreased and it got harder towards the end. But I loved it.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
I ran HST over a year ago and loved it. If my memory serves me right, the way I did it was 2 sets all the way across through the 3 intervals. As weights increased, reps decreased and it got harder towards the end. But I loved it.
Did you make pretty decent gains from HST? From what I've read it seems to be pretty legit in regards to gains.

I thought about trying to keep it to only 2 sets throughout but I wanna follow the protocol as best I can. Only problem with that is at the5 rep range I'd be doing over 30 sets per workout which would probably take a while.

I have 2 more workouts at 15 reps per then on to the 10s.
I think I'll see how two sets of ten works and go from there

Thanks for the input.

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
I just finished fourteen weeks of hst- cutting though. Loved it, kept all my strength and increased it, the increases were slower than my bulk nutrition for sure but most lifts are up 15 pounds all around. The sets are not set in stone man you can change them just make sure you take a break for a week after 6-8 weeks. I like 12-10-8- one week of 5 and one week of 5 negatives or 3's with two negatives. The only downside is that since its full body your kind of beat toward the end. You can and should change the order according to wieders muscle priority training. Train all weak points first because you wont need as much total workout energy for your strong muscles. MAde pr's all the time man goodluck pm if you need to

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
The reason people do say week 1 of 15reps with one set is to find there fifteen rep max. But if you have kept previous workout logs you should know your fifteen rep max, I personally did not like 15 I started at 12. So its 2weeks of two sets for each interval, two weeks of 12 at two sets than two weeks of 10 at 2 sets etc. But you add in warm ups, as many as needed.

srimay

Awards
I'm about to start this next week and was also thinking of starting with 12. But, I was also thinking of 12, 8, 4 in keeping it aligned closer to the 15, 10, 5.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Greekgeorge, I actually just finished the first 2 weeks of 15's this past Friday. Everything felt pretty easy untill the last two days. But the only thing that was legitimately hard was deadlifts, and I attribute that to not doing them at all for well over a years time.

I actually missed Monday's lift cause I got outta work late Sunday and my wrist and shoulder were killing me all night at work. So I took Monday off, mainly to rest my arm and plan on hitting the first day of 10's X 2 in the morning.
Im glad I didnt lift today thought cause my wrist feels a considerable amount better than it did last night at this time.

Also, another question...greekgeorge, you mentioned you were cutting throughout your HST and you were still making PR's??? If this is true, you must fill me in on your secret. Cause my last cut was nothing but sore legs and lethargy, :yawn: but I did lean out pretty well. And now that Im actually thinking through what I already know about HST, it does seem like it would suit a cut very well...now if only I could stop eating so many sweets :frustrate:frustrate

I will update periodically in this thread with my opinions of HST. I also hope to check in more frequently, mostly at home cause good ol' AM got the website block at work :) I guess my cache was as cleared as had expected:shrug:.

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
I made pr's for two reasons, Layne nortons ultimate cut diet, and ghrp6 peptide. Also in all training methods I incorporate wieders training principles, and order was always changed, strong suits were always last. When your cutting your energy will be low so you optimize the energy use by weorking weak points first. So for me, my squat always goes up but I need lat width, so lats were first, than I would do tri, now that my bi was rested from pull ups I would hit them. Legs were always last except hams I treated them as a seperate muscle they came after hams. Plus form, holding perfect posture and moving ultra slow, mike mentzer style.

Thanks Greekgeorge, I actually just finished the first 2 weeks of 15's this past Friday. Everything felt pretty easy untill the last two days. But the only thing that was legitimately hard was deadlifts, and I attribute that to not doing them at all for well over a years time.

I actually missed Monday's lift cause I got outta work late Sunday and my wrist and shoulder were killing me all night at work. So I took Monday off, mainly to rest my arm and plan on hitting the first day of 10's X 2 in the morning.
Im glad I didnt lift today thought cause my wrist feels a considerable amount better than it did last night at this time.

Also, another question...greekgeorge, you mentioned you were cutting throughout your HST and you were still making PR's??? If this is true, you must fill me in on your secret. Cause my last cut was nothing but sore legs and lethargy, :yawn: but I did lean out pretty well. And now that Im actually thinking through what I already know about HST, it does seem like it would suit a cut very well...now if only I could stop eating so many sweets :frustrate:frustrate

I will update periodically in this thread with my opinions of HST. I also hope to check in more frequently, mostly at home cause good ol' AM got the website block at work :) I guess my cache was as cleared as had expected:shrug:.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
I made pr's for two reasons, Layne nortons ultimate cut diet, and ghrp6 peptide. Also in all training methods I incorporate wieders training principles, and order was always changed, strong suits were always last. When your cutting your energy will be low so you optimize the energy use by weorking weak points first. So for me, my squat always goes up but I need lat width, so lats were first, than I would do tri, now that my bi was rested from pull ups I would hit them. Legs were always last except hams I treated them as a seperate muscle they came after hams. Plus form, holding perfect posture and moving ultra slow, mike mentzer style.
Geeze...there is so much to working out that I am totally clueless on. I feel like I just kinda go in and go through the motions every workout. I think 'if Im sweating I must have worked hard.' But I know that's not true.
My workouts have been almost all crap since returning from time off for surgery. Its been almost 3 months of lifting and I honestly have not noticed any gains. Plus it doesnt help that I am constantly craving carbs and sweets like a 5 year old.

After my first 10s workout with HST, I felt pretty good I guess. That was until this morning when I had absolutely no energy and upon getting to the gym late I was in a terrible mood and left after accomplishing absolutely nothing then came home and slept from 10:30 till 2:00. At least my diet today and yesterday wasnt as bad a its been lately. But as far as food goes, I really think Im gonna ask this nutritionist lady I met recently to come shopping with me and litterally show me what to buy cause I am clueless.

But anyways...enough complaining for now. Its already after 1am and I really need to make up for todays joke of a workout in the morning.

Im going to bed