Gatorade/Powerade vs Water

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Which is really better for you?

I play Men's Softball in a very competitive league and I see most usually drink one of the big sports drinks. I usually only drink water. Some days it is very hot and you can get pretty worn down during a double header.

Is there any real benefit of drinking the sports drinks over water? Are they gaining something I am not? I am just curious as I was always under the impression that those drinks were mainly crap in comparison to good old water.

What do you all think?

crazym

Awards
Bit of sugar, sodium and potassium. Make your own or make it better by adding bcaas, leucine or peptopro.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For hydration purposes, Gatorade and other sports drinks is vastly (I can't highlight this excessively enough) superior to water. The combination of sugars and specific electrolytes tricks your body into shuttling the water inside your cells where it is desperately needed. The sugars are also nice for energy. A better solution, though, is to use a mix of short and long, simple and complex sugars. This has shown to give the greatest performance boost over short, simple sugars, which is what Gatorade uses AFAIK. But for the hydration effects, those two bar none.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you're working that hard, Gatorade or something similar is definitely the way to go. As has already been pointed out, the carbohydrates and electrolytes help fuel you. I usually take one Gatorade and then a gallon jug of water when I play. I drink the water as much as I can and rely on the Gatorade when I'm really losing energy or it's just that hot.

I've tried playing hard basketball without a drink like that and just water, too, and it sucks much more lol.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
For hydration purposes, Gatorade and other sports drinks is vastly (I can't highlight this excessively enough) superior to water. The combination of sugars and specific electrolytes tricks your body into shuttling the water inside your cells where it is desperately needed. The sugars are also nice for energy. A better solution, though, is to use a mix of short and long, simple and complex sugars. This has shown to give the greatest performance boost over short, simple sugars, which is what Gatorade uses AFAIK. But for the hydration effects, those two bar none.
It does not 'trick' your body. Absorption of macro/micro nutrients from sports drinks are directly related to their osmolarity relative to that of your body, diffusion capacity. Water is sufficient for hydration in exercise lasting less than two hours in a thermoneutral environment. Clearly, one would want to replace electrolytes if exercising in a hot/humid environment to maintain adequate cellular physiology (membrane potential, electrical gradients, etc.).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It does not 'trick' your body. Absorption of macro/micro nutrients from sports drinks are directly related to their osmolarity relative to that of your body, diffusion capacity. Water is sufficient for hydration in exercise lasting less than two hours in a thermoneutral environment. Clearly, one would want to replace electrolytes if exercising in a hot/humid environment to maintain adequate cellular physiology (membrane potential, electrical gradients, etc.).
If I understand your post correctly (which I might not!), then actually you're wrong about the hydrating forces. It's not osmolarity that drives the water into the cells from these drinks; indeed, under normal circumstances it'd pull water out. Remember, hypertonic solutions pull water towards themselves.

Gatorade (Na/sugar/water) does "trick" your body into wanting water, even if cells are plentifully hydrated OR if other mechanisms in your body, natural and healthy or foreign and/or toxic, are pulling water out of your cells. It does so through the Na+/glucose symporter (I had momentarily forgotten the name of this in my first post), whereby a Na gradient favoring Na entrance into the cells pulls it and glucose, along with the water solvating it, into the cell. During exercise, intracellular glucose concentrations are depleted, so this provides a further drive of nutrients into the cell, pulling even more water into the cell. This is why you give patients with diarrhea gatorade and not water to rehydrate them.

Other points about the necessity of electrolytes are true and important to keep in mind. Hope this helps.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
If I understand your post correctly (which I might not!), then actually you're wrong about the hydrating forces. It's not osmolarity that drives the water into the cells from these drinks; indeed, under normal circumstances it'd pull water out. Remember, hypertonic solutions pull water towards themselves.

Gatorade (Na/sugar/water) does "trick" your body into wanting water, even if cells are plentifully hydrated OR if other mechanisms in your body, natural and healthy or foreign and/or toxic, are pulling water out of your cells. It does so through the Na+/glucose symporter (I had momentarily forgotten the name of this in my first post), whereby a Na gradient favoring Na entrance into the cells pulls it and glucose, along with the water solvating it, into the cell. During exercise, intracellular glucose concentrations are depleted, so this provides a further drive of nutrients into the cell, pulling even more water into the cell. This is why you give patients with diarrhea gatorade and not water to rehydrate them.

Other points about the necessity of electrolytes are true and important to keep in mind. Hope this helps.
For the sake of brevity I'll copy this from wikipedia (I know). "Osmolarity and tonicity are related, but different, concepts. Thus, the terms ending in -osmotic (isosmotic, hyperosmotic, hyposmotic) are not synonymous with the terms ending in -tonic (isotonic, hypertonic, hypotonic). The terms are related in that they both compare the solute concentrations of two solutions separated by a membrane. The terms are different because osmolarity takes into account the total concentration of penetrating solutes and non-penetrating solutes, whereas tonicity takes into account the total concentration of only non-penetrating solutes.

Penetrating solutes can diffuse through the cell membrane, causing momentary changes in cell volume as the solutes "pull" water molecules with them. Non-penetrating solutes cannot cross the cell membrane, and therefore osmosis of water must occur for the solutions to reach equilibrium.

A solution can be both hyperosmotic and isotonic. For example, the intracellular fluid and extracellular can be hyperosmotic, but isotonic - if the total concentration of solutes in one compartment is different from that of the other, but one of the ions cannot cross the membrane, drawing water with it and thus causing no net change in solution volume."

Na+ ions do not readily cross the plasma membrane into the cell due to permeability and concentration gradient outside Vs. inside (not going into propagation of action potentials). Therefore, there would need to be a pressure gradient via plasma volume vs. cytosolic volume and its constituents until an equilibrium is reached. When extracellular volume increases with slight oscillations in [Na+], diffusion of water is shifted into and out of the cell to maintain cell hydration and plasma volume. During exercise, depending on many factors (intensity, duration, fatigue state, substrate availability, etc) will determine if muscle glycogen will be utilized and to what extent. Mechanics behind that are beyond this topic. Plasma membranes are also not readily permeable to glucose (except during exercise where permeability is selective due to sheer stress). Otherwise, a glucose transporter must be translocated to the membrane for glucose transport into the cell.

P.S.: The purpose of adding electrolytes is to restore lost Na+, K+, ~Cl- ions from sweating during exercise which aid in normal cellular physiology.

Ao8

Awards
Some interesting information. At our hockey games we always have bottles of water and Gatorade. I usually bring my own bottle with some water and Xtend

Fat Ass 101

Fat Ass 101

Awards
LOL.. Nobody drinks beer at games anymore.. Everyone is so damn competitive.

Just playing. This is a very interesting thread

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm addicted to Power Aid, that stuff is good.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually stocked up on some 32oz bottles of Gatorade on sale over the weekend. I had been mixing up some WMS and BCAAs and drank that while playing basketball. I'm going to to take 2 bottles and just dump in some unflavored BCAAs (~12g in each bottle) and see how that works this time. It'll end up being ~120g carbs, which is the same that I took in from the WMS last time.

I'll toss a little update up either tonight or tomorrow to see if I can notice any real difference.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I love myself some Powerade Zero... Absolutely love that sheet

WoodFX

WoodFX

Awards
ACSM recommends a sugar to fluid ratio of 4 to 8 percent. Gatorade contains 6% sugar, while Powerade is around 8%.
Both are good since they fall within the appropriate sugar levels, but those who are especially sensitive to sugar or who are on low-sugar diets may want to stick with Gatorade.

Also, Gatorade's sugars are glucose based (Dextrose, Sucralose) and Powerade are a polymer of glucose (maltodextrin).

Best way in my opinion to see what fits your training needs is trial and error like any other supplement.