Gatorade VS Liquid Sweeteners

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
2 part question

1.) How important are electrolytes contained in Gatorade to fitness and exercise? Should they be consumed pre, intra, or post.

2.) What are your opinions on using Gatorade as a flavoring product compared to liquid sweeteners such as Mio, Crystal Lite, and Kool-Aid.

I ask because I like to buy bulk powders and make my own BCAA, Agmatine, GMS, Creatine, and anything else I feel like adding in, concoctions. I have tried many liquid sweeteners and the only one I really like are the Kool-Aid ones. I find with Gatorade I feel more refreshed and energized in comparison to liquid sweeteners. What I do like about the sweeteners is that they do not contain sugar.

If I consume one scoop of Gatorade daily should I be worried about the amount of sugar contained in it?

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Personally I use Crystal Light for my bulk powders....it's cheap & I can change the flavors as I want. Gatorade can add extra calories (Crystal Light has 5 I believe?)....as for sweeteners I buy a big bag of Stevia...if I need to sweeten something a teaspoon works great!

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
If you feel better taking Gatorade you can fit the calories in your macros, I'm pretty sure they have G2 in powder which has less sugar.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Powerade makes a liquid sweetener now as well, zero cals but all the electrolytes

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Powerade makes a liquid sweetener now as well, zero cals but all the electrolytes
We used to get them while at school, taste isnt the best but it does beat water

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No need for the electrolytes intra unless you're running a marathon

quito2382

Awards
I make my own post workout concoction as well
(Protein, Gatorade, Glutamine, BCAA, Creatine, Carnitine, Beta Alanine) I use a scoop of gatorade powder in it which contains 42 grams of carbs/sugar. Since i use it exclusively post workout for the insulin spike. I have had no issues getting fat from it. I use this drink when im cutting as well. My only carbs while dieting come pre and postworkout.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
I make my own post workout concoction as well
(Protein, Gatorade, Glutamine, BCAA, Creatine, Carnitine, Beta Alanine) I use a scoop of gatorade powder in it which contains 42 grams of carbs/sugar. Since i use it exclusively post workout for the insulin spike. I have had no issues getting fat from it. I use this drink when im cutting as well. My only carbs while dieting come pre and postworkout.
Not sure if serious.

quito2382

Awards
Not sure if serious.
VERY SERIOUS.
Just google "insulin spike post workout". Read the real articles from trusted sources and stay away from the forums that are full of Bro Science. You'll find tons of info explaining why its ideal and only ideal immediately post workout.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
VERY SERIOUS.
Just google "insulin spike post workout". Read the real articles from trusted sources and stay away from the forums that are full of Bro Science. You'll find tons of info explaining why its ideal and only ideal immediately post workout.
You read more bro science, bro. Lol

Protein alone will spike insulin, and be a lot better utilized than your sugar water.

quito2382

Awards
You read more bro science, bro. Lol

Protein alone will spike insulin, and be a lot better utilized than your sugar water.
What you just said is the epitome of Bro Science. Opinions, not facts.
High glycemic carbs post workout paired with your protein has been proven by real science to optimize nutrient uptake into the muscles due to the depleted state of glycogen post intense workout.
Thats a fact.
im done debating with you. Argue by yourself

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What you just said is the epitome of Bro Science. Opinions, not facts.
High glycemic carbs post workout paired with your protein has been proven by real science to optimize nutrient uptake into the muscles due to the depleted state of glycogen post intense workout.
Thats a fact.
im done debating with you. Argue by yourself
I can see a lot of members jumping on that statement. The carb requirement has been debunked.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21131864/

That is one of many studies...

I use carbs post workout just to hit macros and it is certainly better periworkout than at an inactive time but it offers no direct MPS benefit over protein alone.

In fact a BCAA or lean meat will invoke a higher insulin response than a lot of carb sources.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What you just said is the epitome of Bro Science. Opinions, not facts. High glycemic carbs post workout paired with your protein has been proven by real science to optimize nutrient uptake into the muscles due to the depleted state of glycogen post intense workout. Thats a fact. im done debating with you. Argue by yourself
Noob is making friends quickly

Lol @ "real science" in your context

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What you just said is the epitome of Bro Science. Opinions, not facts. High glycemic carbs post workout paired with your protein has been proven by real science to optimize nutrient uptake into the muscles due to the depleted state of glycogen post intense workout. Thats a fact. im done debating with you. Argue by yourself
Unless you're doing endurance work for a prolonged period of time, your glycogen stores will not be depleted.