HATED training fads (venting)

Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

1. I hate overhearing trainers with their clients. Most are so wrong it is depressing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    My hated training fad is a nationwide problem: the banning of deadlifts in many gyms. I've been fortunate to find gyms that allow it, but I'll flip my **** if I ever get stuck in a gym that doesn't allow them.
    Banning of deads?! I've never heard of that! If that ever happens I'd go ballistic!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by kanakafarian View Post
    Banning of deads?! I've never heard of that! If that ever happens I'd go ballistic!
    Not sure if you have any Planet Fitness gyms around you, but they ban them. They also have a sensor that goes off if you put a weight down to "loud"...the whole place lights up and they come back and throw you out...or so I'm told - i never have/would sign up to one.

Br

4. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Not sure if you have any Planet Fitness gyms around you, but they ban them. They also have a sensor that goes off if you put a weight down to "loud"...the whole place lights up and they come back and throw you out...or so I'm told - i never have/would sign up to one.

Br
    LOL A sensor? That's too funny! I'm on the westcoast where 24's, Bally's, and LA Fitness' dominate.

5. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Br
    Quote Originally Posted by kanakafarian View Post
    LOL A sensor? That's too funny! I'm on the westcoast where 24's, Bally's, and LA Fitness' dominate.
    It isn't a sensor, it's a button that other members will press if they feel intimidated. Judgement free zone? Hardly.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    So I'm a traditionalist. I

It's all garbage. Impact is bad. Impact over years ruins joints, wears down tendons, causes stress fractures, is hard on archways, and just wears the body down.

Tell that to the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico.

7. Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Tell that to the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico.
    And many of the east african distance runners who spend the first 15+ years of their careers running barefoot.

8. did anyone forget that we were all born without shoes?

i wonder what the first caveman powerlifter/bodybuilder wore when he was gettin his fukcin swell on..... maybe some deer skin.. that he killed with a spear..

and those caveman fukcers were probably some of the strongest dudes, with no sauce or sneakers

no shoes for the win!
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    I've also done fasting and doseing and felt grealt anabolicness , deffint hunger but I'm stronger than that keep full and vascular and strength gose up
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/177245-swollen87s-training-log.html

9. Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
    did anyone forget that we were all born without shoes?

i wonder what the first caveman powerlifter/bodybuilder wore when he was gettin his fukcin swell on..... maybe some deer skin.. that he killed with a spear..

and those caveman fukcers were probably some of the strongest dudes, with no sauce or sneakers

no shoes for the win!
    Yeah, they didn't have houses or medicine either. What was their life expectancy again?

I'll challenge you to a footrace on gravel and shattered glass. I'll use my shoes, you free run.

We learn and evolve. I'll keep my shoes thanks.

10. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    Yeah, they didn't have houses or medicine either. What was their life expectancy again?

I'll challenge you to a footrace on gravel and shattered glass. I'll use my shoes, you free run.

You would never beat the guys mentioned. They do just that. For 700+miles.

11. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post

You would never beat the guys mentioned. They do just that. For 700+miles.

12. Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
    did anyone forget that we were all born without shoes?

no shoes for the win!
    What about those of us who are flat footed? Last time I wore a pair of converses I felt like my knees were going to snap in half, now it's new balance cross trainers all the way and my knees and back thank me. I didn't find out how bad my feet were until recently. I was squatting with no arch support and flat feet no wonder my knees were hurting.

13. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    What about those of us who are flat footed? Last time I wore a pair of converses I felt like my knees were going to snap in half, now it's new balance cross trainers all the way and my knees and back thank me. I didn't find out how bad my feet were until recently. I was squatting with no arch support and flat feet no wonder my knees were hurting.
    Run barefoot on sand or grass. Running barefoot stimulates and strengthens your foot’s natural muscles, improving your natural shock absorption capabilities. It is a known cure for flatfeets

14. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    Actually, they did have medicine. Early humans (and some anthropologists even suggest neanderthals) were quite knowledgeable in the actions and use of herbals in pain, fever, and illness management.

Of course, they weren't performing surgery nor using antibiotics...then again, the use of antibiotics and antiseptics is creating super bacteria via natural selection. It slightly frightens me.

Br

15. Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Run barefoot on sand or grass. Running barefoot stimulates and strengthens your foot’s natural muscles, improving your natural shock absorption capabilities. It is a known cure for flatfeets
    It also highly increases your odds of injury.

16. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    I think a mix is needed.

The advent of sneakers provides a lot of advantages: cushioning, shock absorbtion, corrections in pronation/supination/arch support, lateral support, etc. It allows us to trainer harder and longer, performing higher intensity and impact activities (plyometrics, jumping, sprinting and cutting, etc).

However, constantly wearing sneakers blocks foot muscle proprioception, and since many of the foot muscles originate in the lower leg (tibia, fibula, interosseus membrane, etc), will result in an incomplete development and/or atrophying of these muscles.

Hence the need for specificity: performing agility/plyometric drills, pavement running, sprinting barefoot is increasing the risk for injury, but so is neglecting the extrinsic and intrinsic muscles of the foot. Therefore, after a high intensity track workout or on low intensity days, I suggest performing a warm down and low intensity running barefoot on the infield.

Br

17. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    Not if you start slowly and build up to it it doesn't. For some weekend warrior sure. Not a dedicated athlete or regular trainer. Personally I have never injured myself in BF , but have in shoes.

18. Crossfit

Not the actually theory, but that way people implement it and make it into a poor form and hip trendy thing to do.

19. Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Not if you start slowly and build up to it it doesn't. For some weekend warrior sure. Not a dedicated athlete or regular trainer. Personally I have never injured myself in BF , but have in shoes.
    Most likely because of probability. I'm sure your time in shoes is much much greater than your time BF.

It also could be situational, IE playing basketball in low ankle, running style shoes. Or you need a trail sole and you wear cross trainers and a rock bruises the bottom of your foot.

20. Quote Originally Posted by HATEFULone View Post
    Crossfit

Not the actually theory, but that way people implement it and make it into a poor form and hip trendy thing to do.
    No bro, didn't you see 300, those guys were swole. Crossfit ftw lol.

Anything that emphasizes speed with weights and cares little for form, I don't buy it.

21. Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    No bro, didn't you see 300, those guys were swole. Crossfit ftw lol.
    Yeah, they were huge...all 170 lbs of them...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

22. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Yeah, they were huge...all 170 lbs of them...
    I wish I could walk around in a thong and have someone cgi and airbrush my muscles, I'd win the olympia in my sleep.

23. I hate the people that wear a beannie while they workout. Im over here sweating my a** off and these kids are grunting and hissing curling the 30's! Wearing a beannie in a 70 degree gym is not necessary.

24. Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    I hate the people that wear a beannie while they workout. Im over here sweating my a** off and these kids are grunting and hissing curling the 30's! Wearing a beannie in a 70 degree gym is not necessary.
    I've actually seen someone lift in sunglasses before. I had to leave.

25. Quote Originally Posted by BigNasty View Post
    I've actually seen someone lift in sunglasses before. I had to leave.
    There's this semi-big dude (meant with a bit of sarcasm because he's 20+% bf) who wears sunglasses all the time. One day when I'm feeling irritated, I'm gonna call him out on it. Bugs the **** outta me!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Just venting about onlin ecollege course
    By 1slowcivic in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
  2. Libido Questions/venting/moral support
    By SufferingEd in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM