Hi novice in need of some wisdom

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I still think your set-up is overkill with all the assistance work. I've done 5/3/1 with BBB assistance work and it is tough to recover by itself without adding all the stuff you've added. If you are trying to gain size some volume is necessary, but too much volume can be counterproductive. Work up pushing up the poundage on the main lifts (but start with 90% of actual max to base your training numbers on) and simply get some work in for the assistance stuff. Here's what I would recommend.
    BP 5/3/1 (whatever week you are on)
    BP 5 sets of 10 (you can trade this out with DB BP or incline BP every 2-3 cycles if you want)
    rowing movement 6 sets of 10
    optional bicep or tricep isolation work (1-2 sets of 10-20 reps)

DL 5/3/1
    DL sets of 10
    abs 3-4 sets
    optional shrugs 1 set to near failure

OHP 5/3/1
    OHP 5 sets of 10
    pull-ups or pulldowns 5-6 sets of 10 or 50 total reps
    optional 1-2 sets of biceps or triceps

SQ 5/3/1
    SQ 5 sets of 10
    leg curls 2-3 sets of 10-20
    calf raises 2 sets (optional)
    abs 3-4 sets

2. Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I still think your set-up is overkill with all the assistance work. I've done 5/3/1 with BBB assistance work and it is tough to recover by itself without adding all the stuff you've added. If you are trying to gain size some volume is necessary, but too much volume can be counterproductive. Work up pushing up the poundage on the main lifts (but start with 90% of actual max to base your training numbers on) and simply get some work in for the assistance stuff. Here's what I would recommend.
    BP 5/3/1 (whatever week you are on)
    BP 5 sets of 10 (you can trade this out with DB BP or incline BP every 2-3 cycles if you want)
    rowing movement 6 sets of 10
    optional bicep or tricep isolation work (1-2 sets of 10-20 reps)

DL 5/3/1
    DL sets of 10
    abs 3-4 sets
    optional shrugs 1 set to near failure

OHP 5/3/1
    OHP 5 sets of 10
    pull-ups or pulldowns 5-6 sets of 10 or 50 total reps
    optional 1-2 sets of biceps or triceps

SQ 5/3/1
    SQ 5 sets of 10
    leg curls 2-3 sets of 10-20
    calf raises 2 sets (optional)
    abs 3-4 sets
    I agree with pretty much all of this, except for sets of 10 deadlifts. I think form tends to go south in the higher rep range. I'd rather switch over to bent over rows and straight leg deads than do them for higher reps.
    •   

3. If you do the 5x10 deadlifts, you have to keep them very light and avoid technique breakdown. I think RDL's or light very strict GM's could also work here. Bottom line is get some volume in an exercise that emphasizes the low back, glutes, and hamstrings.

4. Alright thanks SRS, I'll do what you suggested. The only reason I added so much to my routine was because I wanted some bodybuilding exercises on the side as well. Also whenever I workout no matter how hard I try I never feel sore after and it annoys me. So I thought more would help.Though I'm feeling sore from my last workout but that was probably because I didn't go to the gym for a week.

5. I think you have a little too much emphasis on training your upper body. If I were you, I would try and train legs twice a week. Maybe train your arms on chest day and shoulders with back. Just my .02

6. Quote Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
    I think you have a little too much emphasis on training your upper body. If I were you, I would try and train legs twice a week. Maybe train your arms on chest day and shoulders with back. Just my .02
    I'm just following what the 5/3/1 routine says. I'm not to sure if I should do more legs, then I'd have to do more in 1 workout day for the others. I'd have no problem working legs more often but I'm going to keep it simple and sticking to the 5/3/1. Though If I don't feel so bad after finishing these workouts and have a lot of time to spare in my 1 hour time frame because I'm a natural lifter. I will probably adjust in more accessory exercises and pack in more bodyparts in 1 day so I could do as you suggest , but thanks.

7. T NATION: I love 5/3/1. It's the only program I've ever followed that's allowed me to get consistently stronger. Here's the thing, though: I'm a bodybuilder at heart, and catch myself trying to "marry" your program with my favorite bodybuilding split. Does this have the makings of matrimonial bliss or a messy divorce?

JW: Another closeted bodybuilder. Did you really think that just because you throw around terms like Westside and complain that your gym doesn't have a reverse hyper that we couldn't tell who you really are? The fact that you have your initials embroidered on your lifting straps was a dead give away.

I'm just messing with ya. Your question is a good one and the solution is pretty easy – just stick with the main movements, but divide the assistance work with body parts, much like a standard bodybuilding program.

The main movement stays the same and keeps strength in the program. This allows you to progress from week to week and actually get stronger, something lacking in about 99% of non-assisted bodybuilders' routines.

When you push the assistance in the program below, keep the reps on the final set to just the bare minimum or just slightly over.

For conditioning, I highly recommend 30-40 minutes of walking every day. Yes, walking. If you're asking why something so non-strenuous: if physique goals are your only concern, do not let the conditioning take away from your recovery. (See the earlier question about focusing on one goal at a time.)

Here's a sample template:

Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps
    Standing Military Press – 5/3/1

DB Military Press – 4 x12

Side Laterals/Rear Laterals – 4 x12

Barbell Curls – 4 x12

Preacher Curls – 4 x10

Day 2: Back
    Deadlift – 5/3/1

Bent Over Rows – 4 x12

Chin ups – 4 x10 (or do Lat Pulldowns)

Good Mornings – 4 x10

Hanging Leg Raises – 4 x12

Day 3: Chest and Triceps
    Bench Press – 5/3/1

Weighted Dips – 4 x10

DB Flyes – 4 x12

Triceps Pushdowns – 5 x 20

Push ups – 4 sets to failure

Day 4: Legs and Abs
    Squat – 5/3/1

Leg Press – 5 x 15

Leg Curls – 5 x 15

Leg Extensions – 4 x12

Ab Wheel – 4 x12

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...s_volume_eight

Otherwise just stick with BBB and keep in calorie surplus trust me youll grow!!! remember at the beginning of this post the main thing you wanted was strength and again BBB will get you there!

I think your starting to overlook the simplicity of this program and making it alot more complicated for your goals then it needs to be!!! Just follow the program exactly hows its written youll get strong and big as a result!!!

8. Thanks Newton that looks like a nice workout, I printed out 3 workouts from here and some other tidbits for reminding me about some info, I'm gonna look them over and choose which I like the best. This one is the most appealing I feel though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Megalo View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    My diet is pretty much eating anything and everything and more so things with protein and lots of water , i try to make sure to have 160grams of protein a day or more but since whey is expensive I try to get most of it through food everyday. I'm more mesomorphic in nature so i don't worry about fat as much.

What i used to do was an increase of weight every set working my way up until failure or very close to it.
    Standing Triceps 5x10
    Shoulder Shrugs 5x20
    Reverse Curls 5x10
    Bench 5x10
    Standing Dumbbell flys 5x5
    Pec machine/upper flys 5x10
    Abs and some cardio then after a day of rest

Squats 5x10
    Deadlifts 5x5-10
    Leg press 5x5-10
    Standing Calf Raises 5x12
    more abs and cardio then repeat after some rest
    Well you are doing way to much volume for strength gains. You want to stick to the 4-6 rep range for strength, using a deload day where you use lighter weights for 8-12 reps every few weeks or days depending on your training level.

For the best overall strength gain I would do any 5x5 routine, be it madcow or bill starr or starting strength. You can't go very long, maybe 6 weeks before CNS failure if you are experienced, but they work damn good

10. Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    Well you are doing way to much volume for strength gains. You want to stick to the 4-6 rep range for strength, using a deload day where you use lighter weights for 8-12 reps every few weeks or days depending on your training level.

For the best overall strength gain I would do any 5x5 routine, be it madcow or bill starr or starting strength. You can't go very long, maybe 6 weeks before CNS failure if you are experienced, but they work damn good
    Thanks for the info man I think im going to be doing the 5/3/1 that Elite suggested do though.
    •   

11. Iv had great success increasing strength with 5x5.
    I heard ronnie coleman say he switches it up every time to continue to shock the muscle
    each time he lifts.

Similar Forum Threads

1. novice needs some adivce
    By medicone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
  2. novice - need some answers
    By AnthonyEhsani in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
  3. Supplements for the novice over 40 YO
    By mikehalliday in forum Supplements