Newbie requesting training routine for strengthening legs

jag.anamind

Awards
I am a newbie in training. the following is my current exercise routine

Cycling - Weekly 150 Kms ( weekends primarily)
Jogging - Cant run more than 1 km in a single stretch. need to break into walks/jog pattern.
Walking - Weekly 50 kms( 3 weekdays)

I am looking at strengthening my legs. My legs tire out on like even 1km jogging. I can cycle 50km a stretch or walk 20km a stretch. But cant understand why running/jogging is an issue. are there any specific exercise to strengthen legs.
I have a good gym at disposal. request some guidance/pointers

carnivalhobo

Awards
Do you lift weights currently?

If not, then start.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a newbie in training. the following is my current exercise routine

Cycling - Weekly 150 Kms ( weekends primarily)
Jogging - Cant run more than 1 km in a single stretch. need to break into walks/jog pattern.
Walking - Weekly 50 kms( 3 weekdays)

I am looking at strengthening my legs. My legs tire out on like even 1km jogging. I can cycle 50km a stretch or walk 20km a stretch. But cant understand why running/jogging is an issue. are there any specific exercise to strengthen legs.
I have a good gym at disposal. request some guidance/pointers
Cycling and running are two very different modes of exercise. Cycling places no stress on your joints at all, whereas running is high impact. However, there is no reason why a cyclist cannot be a good runner - proven multiple times over in the world of sport.

You can strengthen your legs through a variety of methods. One is on your BIKE - training should be PERIODIZED and allow for strength, etc. If you cycle, your legs should be reasonably strong, anyways - take it from a former competitive cyclist.

As far as a gym - like carnivalhobo said, if you're not currently doing resistance training, then START. Good exercises to do are squats and dealifts, as R1balla recommended - they're the main compounds.

I'm going to assume that you're not an athlete and looking for sports performance, being a newbie, and the best recommendation for a beginner is to you get yourself a professional trainer to design you a training programme specific to your goals and needs.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Starting Strength is a very good beginner program. Get a personal trainer or a friend to help you learn the lifts properly or start out with light weights and gradually work your way up to heavier weights. It will be a slow process at first but don't rush it, you will benefit more in the long run if you take it slow

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont lift ( actually never lifted).
In that case, pay attention to post #4 and the best thing for you to do is to definitely "get yourself a professional trainer to design you a training programme specific to your goals and needs"!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

jag.anamind

Awards
Cycling and running are two very different modes of exercise. Cycling places no stress on your joints at all, whereas running is high impact. However, there is no reason why a cyclist cannot be a good runner - proven multiple times over in the world of sport.
~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Sorry, on a different timezone so the delayed update.
Thanks for the clarifications. As you mentioned, i am not an athlete. I will take the most suggested option, which is to get a trainer. I have never done Resistance training, and i am 32. Is there something like old to get started on resistance training? or need to take a lighter training plan due to age. or does age not matter at all, when beginning with resistance training.

Jag

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry, on a different timezone so the delayed update.
Thanks for the clarifications. As you mentioned, i am not an athlete. I will take the most suggested option, which is to get a trainer. I have never done Resistance training, and i am 32. Is there something like old to get started on resistance training? or need to take a lighter training plan due to age. or does age not matter at all, when beginning with resistance training.

Jag
You're never too old to start resistance training. Age does not matter, an you'd start where any beginner starts, progressing at a pace relative to YOU.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

jag.anamind

Awards
You're never too old to start resistance training. Age does not matter, an you'd start where any beginner starts, progressing at a pace relative to YOU.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Thats great to hear. will start off on the training this week itself. Thanks a ton for the suggestions

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats great to hear. will start off on the training this week itself. Thanks a ton for the suggestions
No worries :) I've always had the best of the best re trainers and coaches, and was always given the best and most effective direction right from the start with my sport and training; because of that (and because I believe in doing things PROPERLY), I'd rather see a beginner get off to the RIGHT start, and not flounder when they could be swimming!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JudoJosh has some good advice about starting off. Will help with strength as well as power.
Thanks but I definetely agree with rosie. If he has NEVER lifted before his best choice would be to get a personal trainer. It is very easy to hurt yourself if you aren't experienced with the proper technique. Starting Strength is an amazing program and you can still give it a try but start off with an empty bar and get a trainer to show you how to execute each move.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 7
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 4
Supplements 4
Dogsoldier 35 and Older 11