deadlift & Pullup muscle growth Conflict

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Ok so here's my delema. I do my deads on back days 4 obvious reasons. And I do pullups on bicep days cuz thy hit the biceps. BUT.. pullups also hit the lats. So is this going interfear with muscle growth on my back? Overtraining? Cuz ill do biceps a couple days before or after back workout. I'm thinking tht when I do my pullups 4 biceps tht I'm also hitting my lats and therefore I'm breaking down the muscle from doing my deadlifts just a couple days ago. Hw can I fix this? I mean if I swith it and do pullups on back days 4 my lats thn I'm going to be inhibiting muscle growth when I go 2 do my bicep training cuz pullups hit your bicpes as well, thus overtraining again! Or am i ok, maybe deads dont even hit your lats? Lol help please!

ntornado

Awards
I think you are really over thinking this. It is not a big issue in my mind. In fact I think what you are doing is a good thing rather than a concern.

Ms9

Awards
What? Just do some pull ups. You could probably do them 5 times a week with no problems.

make sure u switch up your grips so your not always doing the samething. Overhand uses less biceps.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so here's my delema. I do my deads on back days 4 obvious reasons. And I do pullups on bicep days cuz thy hit the biceps. BUT.. pullups also hit the lats. So is this going interfear with muscle growth on my back? Overtraining? Cuz ill do biceps a couple days before or after back workout. I'm thinking tht when I do my pullups 4 biceps tht I'm also hitting my lats and therefore I'm breaking down the muscle from doing my deadlifts just a couple days ago. Hw can I fix this? I mean if I swith it and do pullups on back days 4 my lats thn I'm going to be inhibiting muscle growth when I go 2 do my bicep training cuz pullups hit your bicpes as well, thus overtraining again! Or am i ok, maybe deads dont even hit your lats? Lol help please!
Definitely NOT going to affect your muscle growth in your back or cause overtraining. If anything, the pull-ups will help WIDEN your back - I used to do Back on one day and include pull-ups and the other back compounds, and then do pull-ups again on Arms day, and this is how I saw the BEST growth in my back.

As Nice, said,the main concern re growth would be UNDEReating - since many people do NOT eat enough, even if they THINK they do.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Thanks everone! That helps a lot. I was worried I was over training my back n breaking down new muscle fibers before they had a chance to fully rocover with doing pullups day after deads. Thnks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deadlifts are a hip dominated lower body movement. Yes, deads do involve the back, but when done CORRECTLY the primary emphasis is on the lower body. I'm not sure why deadlifts in the bodybuilding world are considered a back movement, maybe because the majority of the lifting population does them incorrectly.

Br

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why not just do them on the same day? I don't know how you do deadlifts, but I like to be throughly warmed up before I do them so doing something like pull-ups before deadlifts isn't a bad idea. I usually do deadlifts at the end of my workouts after my CNS is already very warmed up.

For me, if I do deads first, I'm really not lifting that much more weight despite the fact that I'm fresh. My workout prior to deadlifting warms me up so that deadlifts at the end of the workout are actually easier for me (easier being relative).

I mean, as far as muscle development you can get just as much out of deads at the end of a workout as compared to beginning. I suppose it's preference really, or depending on your training goals.

Also, if you're trying to target biceps, there are better ways to do that than pull-ups. Use pull-ups to train the lats (biceps secondary).

Peace

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea hittin a muscle group once a week is not that hardcore, Im actually switching over to half and half on my muscle groups so I hit everything twice a week instead of once. So basically your already doing what I want to do, so its a good thing mate!

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Cool! thnks. I wouldnt do deadlifts more than twice a week as i just started doing them not 2 long ago.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They are a great exercise, Im going to start implementing them soon, but I just started back to squating, so Im gona wait til I can at least feel my legs til I deadlift :)

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are a hip dominated lower body movement. Yes, deads do involve the back, but when done CORRECTLY the primary emphasis is on the lower body. I'm not sure why deadlifts in the bodybuilding world are considered a back movement, maybe because the majority of the lifting population does them incorrectly.

Br
I think because they do hit the lower back to a good degree, at least how I do them. I also lift very powerlifter style though, move the bar the best for the most weight. I think also do to the isometric contraction of the traps, but that is about it.

Other than that I am not sure why. When my legs get stronger and my lower get back gets stronger my deadlift goes up. When my rowing or chinning goes up my DL stays the same.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's what I too often see in the general lifting population, or those who have had no (correct) formal training.

1. Poor starting position - rounded back, pelvis curled underneath, poor bar positioning, shoulder blades not back.

2. Back rounds and hips raise before shoulders

3. The spinal erectors are used to do the majority of the movement.

4. Weight is tapped or bounced off the floor

Here is what should happen:

1. Bar positioned over shoe laces
2. Hips back, butt out, back flat
3. Equal angle in knees and hips
4. Chest stuck out, shoulder blades pulled back
5. Shoulders and hips elevate at same rate through pull
6. Spinal erectors are only used for lockout
7. Bar is brought back down to the floor (bumper plates are ideal because you can drop the weight)
8. Rep is complete

1-4 are tjhen repeated to reset grip/stance, new rep is started

remember, it is a DEAD lift. There is no preload, such as that which occurs during then eccentric of a bench press or squat.

Br