deadlifts

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
pretty much new to dead lifts for about 3 months, but seem to getting better every time i perform my sets.
i do about 5 sets 155 pounds 3 sets about 8 reps and then my 4th and 5th 225 pounds 1 rep for max.. is that good enough starting for GH to be release @ 5'5 170 pounds?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5'5" 170 are you JACKED? I have a buddy that when he's JUICED he's about 165 and looks huge and he' your height.

Anywho..You have to start somewhere. As long as you form is on, and your gradually adding weight, then your good to go. I would stay aw3ay from doing 1 rep maxes. That makes me nervous as I dont want to blow my back out. Im working with about 315 for about 10 and havnt added weight in a month. Will do so next week, but injuries suck, So Im real careful.Id drop your weight to like 185 and get some goos numbers with those then gradually add 25 pounds and get good numbers, etc. I mean Im just looking out for your safety

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Your goal in deadlifting shouldn't be to release GH.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5'5" 170 are you JACKED? I have a buddy that when he's JUICED he's about 165 and looks huge and he' your height.

Anywho..You have to start somewhere. As long as you form is on, and your gradually adding weight, then your good to go. I would stay aw3ay from doing 1 rep maxes. That makes me nervous as I dont want to blow my back out. Im working with
about 315 for about 10 and havnt added weight in a month.
Will do so next week, but injuries suck, So Im real careful.Id
drop your weight to like 185 and get some goos numbers with
those then gradually add 25 pounds and get good numbers,
etc. I mean Im just looking out for your safety
stocky yes... jacked? I wouldn't say so.... I use to be 180 natty early year.. now that I'm on test c I'm down to 170 cause I been watching wat I eat.. well for the most part...people said I'm getting big, but I just don't see it.. could be muscle dysmorphia
thnks for the heads up with lifting safety.. I try to stress that on my self.. when I do does one rep max.. I get lightheaded for some seconds...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your objective of deadlifting? Hypertrophy (size), strengh (max weight you can lift), or power (increasing the speed at which you can lift a given weight)?
Such will determine your sets, reps, %rm, and rest periods. Rest periods actually will have the greatest impact on the hormonal response. Shorter rest will result in a greater GH release.

That said, I see a few problems with nearly every deadlifter. First and foremost, it is a DEAD lift. This means you are starting from a stand still. This is not tapping the weight off the floor and jerking it up again with your back. Its putting the weight down, regripping, resetting your hips, and lifting in good form. When I train with bumper plates on a platform, I don't even lower the weight, I drop it to the floor.

Second, is pulling form. The deadlift is a posterior kinetic chain dominated exercise. This mean the glutes and hamstrings are doing the majority of moving, with the lumber back muscles finishing the lockout of the movement. Too many people have over active hip flexors, tight hamstrings, and end up moving the weight predominantly with the lower back (ie. hips elevate before shoulders). In a correct deadlift, the shoulders and hips will elevate at about the same time.

Br

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dead lift for growth and strenght... when I go down I slam the weights to the ground and repeat back up.. am I doing it right? not sure becaus nobody has corrected me on my form..and ii look in the mirror as well...
feet are shoulder with apart arms are opposite when I grasp the bar and I come down like a squat.
I do 1 45 plate eachside and 10lbs each side...which it seems pretty Light, but I rather concentrate on form then power for right now..

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you mean you "slam the weight to the ground"?

If you are bouncing it off the foor, or not resetting the starting position, you are not doing the deadlift correctly.

Each rep should be identical to the very first, almost a set in itself. Like you are doing 10 sets of 1 rep with 3 or 4 seconds rest in between. Hence it being a DEAD lift. If you are not resetting between reps, then chances are your form is not correct.

Br

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
not really slamming it.. i do come down with force,but it's not a slam...do I rest for
3-4seconds when I'm squated or when I'm fully stand?
is 155 ok for me to lift with my weight.
it's dday for me tomorrow. so I will add another 20pounds.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Did i read correctly in another thread that you're pinning test?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
not really slamming it.. i do come down with force,but it's not a slam...do I rest for
3-4seconds when I'm squated or when I'm fully stand?
is 155 ok for me to lift with my weight.
it's dday for me tomorrow. so I will add another 20pounds.
If your gym allows it, I suggest dropping the bar to the floor. If not, then lower it quickly, but under control.

And yes, rest 2-4 sconds between reps. Lower the weight to the floor. Take a step back, then step back in, reset your grip and hips, then perform another rep.

Br

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea we allowed to slam it..
I have a thread on the anabolic section that I pin..
500mg a week..

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
If your 1RM for deadlift is 225, i don't think you're anywhere near your full potential or close to needing AAS.

That's just me though, and im probably just jealous i can't cycle right now.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If your 1RM for deadlift is 225, i don't think you're anywhere near your full potential or close to needing AAS.

That's just me though, and im probably just jealous i can't cycle right now.
Just give me reps and I will give you AAS..... Just kidding...:bigok:

SilverBullet7

Awards
Deadlift is my "calling" I understand its a no no to do a max rep but I like to every once in a while. I usually stay around 250 to about 300 for ten. My max is 505. Big thing with me is make sure you switch your over under grip from time to time. Also don't always start with dead do it at the end of your workout when your tired.

SilverBullet7

Awards
Deadlift is my "calling" I understand its a no no to do a max rep but I like to every once in a while. I usually stay around 250 to about 300 for ten. My max is 505. Big thing with me is make sure you switch your over under grip from time to time. Also don't always start with dead do it at the end of your workout when your tired.
But make sure to keep form on every one even if you take a second or two in between to reset...(forgotto add that in)

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Always at the end of my workout before I hit the epilitical
damn its almost midnight and i feel like doing some deads..:bigok::bigok:

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why do it at the end instead of the beginning? Just wondering?

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
pretty damn impressive wiy your mass.. with the bodyweight u at...
like i said before only been deadlifting for 2 months

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the reasoning behind not maxing out on a deadlift?

SilverBullet7

Awards
The reason I do deadlift at the end of lifting is because the muscles are already stressed and fatigued this way you get the real burn and use all muscles energy up for peak stregnth next round. And the reason not to max out deadlift too often is even with form you can still injure yourself but like I said still push it and lift heavy and hard!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The reason I do deadlift at the end of lifting is because the muscles are already stressed and fatigued this way you get the real burn and use all muscles energy up for peak stregnth next round. And the reason not to max out deadlift too often is even with form you can still injure yourself but like I said still push it and lift heavy and hard!
Every powerlifter worth his/her salt will disagree with you.

Rjp

Awards
How about doing your dead lifts at the begining and the end of your routine say three sets to end it,and at the begining because your not fatigued and would be able to handle the heavier weight with less chance of injury, and at the end lower the weight but higher reps 12 to 15 to completly fatigue your muscles and boost growth, I recently read about this for doing multijoint moves in the same way described above and was thinking why not for deadlifts any oppinions I'm completly open to critisism

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I generally have put deadlifts at the end of my routine because i usually put so much effort into them, i am exhasuted by the time i am done, thus leaving me with a ****ty rest of my workout. Maybe i should give it another shot, doing them in the beginning.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do deadlifts first and that works for me. Couldnt imagine doing them last. Even when I do DC I dont do them last... I dont do them at all. I just cant bring myself to do them last. Couldnt imagine doing them with anything less than my full strength.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
If you are building muscle and are not on a westside template you should DL first in your routine. You will have more steam to lift more weight then you can finish with, whatever inferior movements you like to do and be done(just kidding) but really after the deadlift every other exercise exept the squat pales in comparison..

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I deadlifted today 225 for 3 reps.. I was raging like a monster.. it was great.. and this was my last exercise and was already deadlifting less weight before I did the 225. I guess I have a new max to achieve...
I can't imagine doing deads first because my muscles are not warm yet.. and not even motivated till like the 3rd exercise :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't imagine doing deads first because my muscles are not warm yet.. and not even motivated till like the 3rd exercise :)
Well, this is a major problem.
First, your performance is reduced because the temperature in your muscles is not high enough yet to optimally allow enzymes to function. Its the Q10 effect.
Second, the sympathetic nervous system has not yet been activated. This means that your adrenal glands are not yet activated, which means arousal is less and mobilization of fuels is comprimised. (this is how preworkout stimulants can be performance enhancing).
Third, mobility around the joints being used is less. This is because tendons and ligaments are still cold, and the ancillary and stabilization muscles are not being activated. Stretching the antagonists and activating the agonists have dramatic effects on power output. For example, before squats stretch your hip flexors and do supine bridges to activate the glutes.

Thus, a thorough warmup is critical to optimal performance. This should include
3-5 min of light aerobic exercise (jogging, rope jumping, biking, etc.)
General Dynamic mobility stretches
Antagonsit static stretching
Finally, warm up sets of the specific movement.

Br

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Well, this is a major problem.
First, your performance is reduced because the temperature in your muscles is not high enough yet to optimally allow enzymes to function. Its the Q10 effect.
Second, the sympathetic nervous system has not yet been activated. This means that your adrenal glands are not yet activated, which means arousal is less and mobilization of fuels is comprimised. (this is how preworkout stimulants can be performance enhancing).
Third, mobility around the joints being used is less. This is because tendons and ligaments are still cold, and the ancillary and stabilization muscles are not being activated. Stretching the antagonists and activating the agonists have dramatic effects on power output. For example, before squats stretch your hip flexors and do supine bridges to activate the glutes.

Thus, a thorough warmup is critical to optimal performance. This should include
3-5 min of light aerobic exercise (jogging, rope jumping, biking, etc.)
General Dynamic mobility stretches
Antagonsit static stretching
Finally, warm up sets of the specific movement.

Br
Good post.

To add to this, make sure that you stretch AFTER your warm up to decrease the risk of injury.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
A simple way to check your form: if your legs are straight (knees locked) and the weight is not all the way up you are simple using all back (bad). If the your knees lock at the top of the lift your doing it right. Drive the lift through the heel, if you have to flex your toes up to make sure you got this it might help until you get the jist of it.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
A simple way to check your form: if your legs are straight (knees locked) and the weight is not all the way up you are simple using all back (bad). If the your knees lock at the top of the lift your doing it right. Drive the lift through the heel, if you have to flex your toes up to make sure you got this it might help until you get the jist of it.
No. If the legs are straight and you're squeezing your quads, then that means you're making the deadlift more of a hip extension lift.

You're simply taking the quads out of the concentric phase as a synergist and that tension is then applied to the hamstrings. You're simply turning a deadlift into a stiff-leg deadlift and it's not hard on your back since the hamstrings and glutes are doing more of the work.

When you perform a regular deadlift, the quads are activated as synergists through knee extension against the resistance of gravity and the hamstrings are the eccentric stabilizers (moving with gravity and aid in the concentric movement of the glutes by extending the hip. Once the barbell reaches the point of the knees, the lower back muscles become more involved.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No. If the legs are straight and you're squeezing your quads, then that means you're making the deadlift more of a hip extension lift.

You're simply taking the quads out of the concentric phase as a synergist and that tension is then applied to the hamstrings. You're simply turning a deadlift into a stiff-leg deadlift and it's not hard on your back since the hamstrings and glutes are
doing more of the wor
When you perform a regular deadlift, the quads are activated as synergists through knee extension against the resistance of gravity and the hamstrings are the eccentric stabilizers (movingwith gravity and aid in the concentric movement of the glutes by extending the hip. Once the barbell reaches the point of the knees, the lower back muscles become more
involved.
5'11 235?
u must be a beast!!!

SilverBullet7

Awards
Another way to know if your doing it right is you should drag up the shin...if you have a few touch or red marks on your shins your doing it right...however if your hurting your shins by dragging up them you are doing them right but try.........manning up and not being such a *****.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another way to know if your doing it right is you should drag up the shin...if you have a few touch or red marks on your shins your doing it right...however if your hurting your shins by dragging up them you are doing them right but try.........manning up and not being such a *****.
I have never understood this. My shins go untouched but Im pretty sure Im doing something right :ponder:

SilverBullet7

Awards
If your shins go untouched it means your straightening your legs too early instead of gradually and your using too much back

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should have a video up next week so I will get some opinions then.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The degree to which to bar rubs your shins also has a lot to do with anthropometric characteristics. Torso, arm, leg length, etc. will all have alter the movement of the bar.

But what Silverbullet is saying is basically correct: When doing a standard deadlift, your hips should not raise before your shoulders.

Br

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
a video would be sweet..
but what if u still doing it wrong?
won't u still grow? I mean a deadlift is a deadlift no matter what.. improper or proper form..
is the while reason behind improper form is not to hurt urself?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
a video would be sweet..
but what if u still doing it wrong?
won't u still grow? I mean a deadlift is a deadlift no matter what.. improper or proper form..
is the while reason behind improper form is not to hurt urself?
Well if Im doing it wrong I would like people WITH KNOWLEDGE to help me correct my form.
My friends r pretty good about calling me out if my form is bad.

If yall want I can post up a video of me squatting. I figure it is a lot easier to mess up squat form than deadlift form.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well if Im doing it wrong I would like people WITH KNOWLEDGE to help me correct my form.
My friends r pretty good about calling me out if my form is bad.

If yall want I can post up a video of me squatting. I figure it is a lot easier to mess up squat form than deadlift form.
i vote for video...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hell you shaking the racks hard for????
Put 500 pounds on ur back without getting urself psyched up and see what happens :scool:

Oh ya and because I can. No one has said anything to me so I am going to do what it takes to get my lift.