weight training once a week ontop of..

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i do circuit training (body weight exercises) twice a week for an hour and boxing twice a week for an hour and a half. and running 2-3 times a week say 3-8miles.

not done weights in quite awhile now and miss doing them so was wondering what you guys would suggest for a once a week workout. would like to keep it pretty much compound exercises. deadlifts, bench and squats.

wanting to improve my boxing and circuit training and upper body strength.

cheers in advance :)

Sweekaters

Awards
If boxing and cardio are the most important things to you, you should be mainly focusing on that and not leaving yourself in the weight room. In a nutshell, you want the most strength and power in the fewest exercises that require only a few sets to disrupt homeostasis so you'll be getting the most bang for your buck and can focus on boxing. The best mass / strength builder in this category is hands down the deadlift, try varying you grip (snatch or standard grip) and your depth (rack pulls and deficit pulls). The explosive movement is up to you, but power olympic movements (power clean and power snatch) work well.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
cheers, yeah was thinking mostly deadlift. wanna keep my pull ups at a good standard too and improve my core. not done power clean is years but i'l chuck that in i think :)

anoopbal

Awards
Just stick with the compounds. And maybe every 3-4 weeks, you can add one more day of weights in there.

If the weights are going up, you are doing something right. If not, the once a week isn't working well.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i do circuit training (body weight exercises) twice a week for an hour and boxing twice a week for an hour and a half. and running 2-3 times a week say 3-8miles.

not done weights in quite awhile now and miss doing them so was wondering what you guys would suggest for a once a week workout. would like to keep it pretty much compound exercises. deadlifts, bench and squats.

wanting to improve my boxing and circuit training and upper body strength.

cheers in advance :)
If you're looking to improve boxing performance, Dave, then focus on POWER of you do a weights session. Your circuit training should focus on endurance, power, and speed, incorporating some weights, a lot of plyometrics for power, and some boxing/:ponder:running drills. I used to coach a Muay Thai kickboxer (a little different from boxing, I know, but very similar re needs) and when we did weights, we concentrated on the exercises that would help him most re strength/power - i.e. powercleans, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, squats, military press, pull-ups, etc.

~Team APPNUT

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking to improve boxing performance, Dave, then focus on POWER of you do a weights session. Your circuit training should focus on endurance, power, and speed, incorporating some weights, a lot of plyometrics for power, and some boxing/:ponder:running drills. I used to coach a Muay Thai kickboxer (a little different from boxing, I know, but very similar re needs) and when we did weights, we concentrated on the exercises that would help him most re strength/power - i.e. powercleans, deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, squats, military press, pull-ups, etc.

~Team APPNUT
Hey Rosie!

The circuit training is really good. It changes every 4-6 weeks. We do sprint drills to finish up the class most weeks and it does focus a lot on power,speed and endurance. we do tons of burpees,press ups,sit ups, tuck jumps,squats. Its all good fun!

Been slacking with my running lately though, need to get back into that!