I'm squating 10lbs more than I can deadlift

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Oh okay guys, I was just wondering, because all bodybuilder records I've looked at they always deadlift more than they squat.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have a build with very short legs and a long torso, there's a good chance you are squatting high. I think even bodybuilders should squat at least to parallel.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have a build with very short legs and a long torso, there's a good chance you are squatting high. I think even bodybuilders should squat at least to parallel.
in the mirror I looked to be just about parallel.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i used to deadlift 200lbs more than i squat 550/350

led to some crazy imbalances and i think its what messed my knees up

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
You should generally always be able to DL more than you squat. Chances are you're cheating in squats. Take a video of your side to be sure. Just looking in the mirror while squating won't give you the true story and turning your neck to the side and checking your form while doing heavy working sets is setting yourself up for injury.

Not saying, just saying.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, most peeps dl more than they can squat!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You should generally always be able to DL more than you squat. Chances are you're cheating in squats. Take a video of your side to be sure. Just looking in the mirror while squating won't give you the true story and turning your neck to the side and checking your form while doing heavy working sets is setting yourself up for injury.

Not saying, just saying.
Oh okay I just checked my workout logs. Turns out I was squatting 10 lbs less than I was deadlifting, so I got the numbers mixed up. I just got all my reps in on the squat so that means I'll be squatting the same amount I'm deadlifting, but I might be deadlifting more soon if I can get all my reps in, in 3 days. There is only a 10lb difference between the two exercises though.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Oh okay I just checked my workout logs. Turns out I was squatting 10 lbs less than I was deadlifting, so I got the numbers mixed up. I just got all my reps in on the squat so that means I'll be squatting the same amount I'm deadlifting, but I might be deadlifting more soon if I can get all my reps in, in 3 days. There is only a 10lb difference between the two exercises though.
That's still somewhat usual for a young lifter with a "normal" build. I would also suggest some video from the side just to make sure the depth is good. It's easier to correct early in your training career than having to overcome bad habits you've had for years.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
That's still somewhat usual for a young lifter with a "normal" build. I would also suggest some video from the side just to make sure the depth is good. It's easier to correct early in your training career than having to overcome bad habits you've had for years.
Well it's like this right now. bench press 140, squat 150 up the weight to 160 next week if form is proper, deadlift 160, front squat 90.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i dead more then i squat then again my reps for squats are 12 to15 and even 20 sometime but for deads reps are mostly down around 6 to 8 maybe 10 from what i have heard most run higher reps on squats so it should be less weight

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
365 dl for sets 315 for squat sets

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I squat more than I DL.. Does that make me a freak?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Not really you could just be weak

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I think that NORMAL is a funny word when using it to compare yourself to other weight lifters. Everybody has their strong and weak points, and also you may be lagging in a certain area. I think it's setting yourself up for failure to compare your status or anything for that matter to that of someone else. The mirror will tell you if there is something that is lagging or needs focusing on. I had a lower back injury 2 years ago that took me out of the gym for a long time, and it's been HELL trying to get it to where it was. I can squat 365 and I'm no where near that on deadlifts. A lot of factors play into what you can call "normal"

Sorry for the rant it's just my opinion

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not really you could just be weak
Wow. Thanks for the compliment as-shole...

Im actually pretty strong for my weight and years that I have been lifting..

Why dont you check out my logs before you assume anything..

You know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me..

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Thanks for the compliment as-shole...

Im actually pretty strong for my weight and years that I have been lifting..

Why dont you check out my logs before you assume anything..

You know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me..

Woah homie, you were asking a question I was simply stating an answer. Reason why I said that is because before I started deadlifting I could already squat 405, but maxing 275 on DL. SO my back was WEAK. thats All i was getting at. So chill out a little don't ask questions if you're looking for answers you don't like. I'd consider you far from "freak" status.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Woah homie, you were asking a question I was simply stating an answer. Reason why I said that is because before I started deadlifting I could already squat 405, but maxing 275 on DL. SO my back was WEAK. thats All i was getting at. So chill out a little don't ask questions if you're looking for answers you don't like. I'd consider you far from "freak" status.
So I ask a question to get assumed that I am weak? You coulda said I have a lagging lower back, would've sounded better than "your probably weak"..

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
LOL say y'all how bout we all just spark one up and chill bros. This is why I used the term LAGGING. LOL my back is WEAK AZ FUCC CUZZ (lagging lol) since my injury, my DL pr is 405 and now i am lucky to hit 285 but im making progress just about every week. Form gets better, lifts are more solid, etc, etc.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
So I ask a question to get assumed that I am weak? You coulda said I have a lagging lower back, would've sounded better than "your probably weak"..
I said not really you could be weak indicating I was unaware of your training. And how am i supposed to know if you have a lagging lower back if i didn't know your squat weights i was just simply saying a possible solution to a question you had. sorry if it hurt your feelings

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I said not really you could be weak indicating I was unaware of your training. And how am i supposed to know if you have a lagging lower back if i didn't know your squat weights i was just simply saying a possible solution to a question you had. sorry if it hurt your feelings
You made me cry :(...

Sweekaters

Awards
I'm surprised no one has suggested changing up your form. I consistently squatted more than I pulled until I switched from conventional deadlifts to sumo deadlifts. If you're a tall guy especially, give it a try and see what works.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I squat more than I dead lift. I also work on squats much more. They are my favorite. So it makes sense.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I squat more than I dead lift. I also work on squats much more. They are my favorite. So it makes sense.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
true atg with no bounce-actually stopping in the hole, there is no way i can do what i deadlift.

"normal squats", i can squat more.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
true atg with no bounce-actually stopping in the hole, there is no way i can do what i deadlift.

"normal squats", i can squat more.
I agree I would not be able to atg squat more than I deadlift either.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
if i went any lower on my squats id be sitting. atg or get out

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I think people are missing the main point here. Of course if you have a significant injury history or if you train your SQ and not your DL you may SQ more than you DL. I guess I should qualify my statement more. I've seen many young trainees over the years and here's what I've observed. If someone is a relative beginner, not obese, has no significant injury history, has been training both lifts, and knows how to perform the lifts at all and they SQ more than they DL, 95+% of time they are squatting above parallel. Thus I start with SQ depth when this comes up.
There are people who do truly SQ more than they DL without any mitigating circumstances, but they are the exception not the rule. Besides, what would it hurt if the OP made sure his depth is good? If it's fine, then he should just press on and keep training and not worry about it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think people are missing the main point here. Of course if you have a significant injury history or if you train your SQ and not your DL you may SQ more than you DL. I guess I should qualify my statement more. I've seen many young trainees over the years and here's what I've observed. If someone is a relative beginner, not obese, has no significant injury history, has been training both lifts, and knows how to perform the lifts at all and they SQ more than they DL, 95+% of time they are squatting above parallel. Thus I start with SQ depth when this comes up.
There are people who do truly SQ more than they DL without any mitigating circumstances, but they are the exception not the rule. Besides, what would it hurt if the OP made sure his depth is good? If it's fine, then he should just press on and keep training and not worry about it.
Well like I said I am foundout I am deading slightly more weight. My bench press, squat and deadlift are all around 10lbs apart.