What to expect from dead lifts.

viralencore84

Awards
Alright so I want to start adding more to my regimen in training so I was wondering what are the benefits of the deadlift? I searched around and some people say it is the best total body workout, and some say it only works the lower back and top of the legs. What do you think?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i really thought i would hate DL's, but was surprised to find it is one of the most gratuitous & productive moves i do. especially as a tall guy, i can pull alot better than push. the effect can be like trauma. so intense it sure feels like my body better respond or ELSE!

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you deadlift correctly and heavy, it can improve all other lifts.. If you deadlift wrong, you could screw yourself up. If you deadlift light, whats the point?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
pretty much a full body lift, should be your highest lift as well.

expect others lifts to go up as long as you have an idea of what youre doing

SemperFi9999

Awards
I'd go light until your form is perfect. This is why ppl preach of doing the "big 3" to increase overall strength - squats, deadlifts, and bench press. Your working your whole body essentially and exerting alot of force, which will result in the release of GH and will increase testosterone.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Think about it this way, with the exception of shrugs the more weight you can lift is determinant of how many muscles you recruit to do your work.

Hench why when you curl its substantially lower than your bench. Well if deadlift allows you to move the most amount of weight, than you can bet your recruiting the absolute most amount of muscle fibers.

PLus its the most practical application of strength, your picking something off the ground..

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JUST ****ING DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I will say start deadlifts off light.

I got into them about a year ago, everything felt waay to easy, so I was deadlifting I think 190, which still felt easy. Made sure my form was all good, watched 100 videos, studied it, did it with just a bar until I felt it was good.

after second time I did it I was stuck in a bed for almost 3 weeks. I though I messed up my spinal cord, but apparently the swelling of my lower back was so bad that it had compressed my spine leading to slight momentary paralysis now and then and intense severe pain that prevented me from walking...yeah...pulled lower back did all that.

Be careful, lift smart.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will say start deadlifts off light.

I got into them about a year ago, everything felt waay to easy, so I was deadlifting I think 190, which still felt easy. Made sure my form was all good, watched 100 videos, studied it, did it with just a bar until I felt it was good.

after second time I did it I was stuck in a bed for almost 3 weeks. I though I messed up my spinal cord, but apparently the swelling of my lower back was so bad that it had compressed my spine leading to slight momentary paralysis now and then and intense severe pain that prevented me from walking...yeah...pulled lower back did all that.

Be careful, lift smart.
Obviously no way you were using proper form when you did this...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Obviously no way you were using proper form when you did this...
Had it checked, was no flaws, at least from a visible aspect o.0

The fact I hadnt done Deadlifts since highschool(so lets say in 4 years at the time) was what I attributed to it. And that the weight must have been too much even though it didnt feel too much.

Otherwise, no one could point out anything wrong.

alih92

Awards
viralencore84, I'd suggest you first look at your personal goals and then determine wether or not you should deadlift. FORGET about what people on here say, they don't know you and your body, do what is BEST AND SAFEST FOR YOU...I've followed the advice of various bodybuilders/powerlifting wannabes and did the big 3 (bench, squat, dl) little did I know, I had FLAT FEET and this is a leading cause of Patellar Femoral Syndrome (****ED UP KNEES). If I was you, I'd carefully analyze the pros and cons of the deadlift, i mean the squat has its pros and cons (if you think about it, it has more cons than pros) and then you have to consider this notion (to learn to deadlift or squat properly, you CAN'T watch videos/read guides, YOU NEED TO BE SHOWN) Who do you know that can teach you a proper deadlift?

Seriously before you hurt yourself, I'd recommend LEARNING the form (join a powerlifting club/olympic lifting club) and then see if it's for you.

Please don't do what I did, and fall victim to the wannabe powerlifter/bodybuilder syndrome. You need to realize these people are BORN with great genetics, workout CONSTANTLY, have a strict diet, and use steroids...training is literally there life. If you just wanna get stronger and improve health, then I see NO reason for you to learn such a difficult movement.

alih92

Awards
I used to do deadlifts, until I noticed a tight compression in my lower back (where the butt and back and waist are) after that I quit deadlifting...I already have a wrecked knee, I don't need a wrecked back.

Oh and don't forget all of this at age 17-18.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ali, don't get yourself in over your head, bud. The debate you're opening up is an old one, and you won't fare well. I guarantee it.

And, for the record: I have flat feet and over-extended arches in my feetand I'm 6'4". None of which has prevented me from learning to squat and deadlift and move respectable amounts of weight.

If you **** up your body, it's not the barbells fault, it's yours. Squats, done properly, are nothing but pro.

Edit:
And if you can't even learn a simple DL, just take up yoga or knitting.

alih92

Awards
You're right, sorry I don't mean to offend.

I just think that the OP should see what reacts well with HIS BODY, because what may work for YOU or ME may or may not work for him.

But the injury occurred because of things out of my control, (genetics, flat feet, softening of the cartilage, etc) my squat form WAS PERFECT, I squat deep and WIDE (powerlifting stance) you know a natural stance with my toes pointing outward and knees NEVER EVER going past toes.

Also the squat isn't what ****ed my knees up, its actually the lunge. IMHO, the lunge and the leg extension will **** your knees up faster than anything besides bad squatting and high impact activities.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, just kinda pissed off cuz I can't squat anymore, even though they cause pain, no other exercise has done more for my strength than the squat.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can agree with that, to a point. You've clarified what you meant well.

Everybody will benefit from basic movement patterns - but the devil's in the details.

So, while I agree that we are all different, I think that difference isn't particularly that big. For example, while some may be better built for a Sumo DL, others might be better suited to a normal pull. But everyone should learn how their body best moves through a given situation.

Your squats would be another fine example. You took the time to learn your form and nail it down tight. I, like you, favor a wide-ish stance. But a shorter guy may prefer narrow squats.

We're different, but those differences translate to minutia along the spectra of acceptable technique.

Everybody who is currently in good health can benefit from training the basic lifts regardless of their goals is my point.

Sorry about your knee, and I agree - few things put torque on my patellae like leg exts.

xxjoker122

Awards
you said it was your second time...........when you got hurt ...you make no sense

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
You guys make some great points. I have flat feet as well and have the Pateller Tendonitis from squatting. I sumo deadlift as it feels natural for me and hits all the spots its supposed to. I now use lifting gear to get through my workouts and while my tendonitis still flares, its gotten tremendously better.

alih92

Awards
You guys make some great points. I have flat feet as well and have the Pateller Tendonitis from squatting. I sumo deadlift as it feels natural for me and hits all the spots its supposed to. I now use lifting gear to get through my workouts and while my tendonitis still flares, its gotten tremendously better.
Congrats, I'm doing a therapy regimen now and sometimes the pain vanishes but then other times it returns and it comes back much worse :sad3:.

I just hope the OP, learns to STRECH and understands the fundamentals of a PROPER WARMUP, i feel alot of injuries can be prevented if people take the time before hand to understand how to do the exercise and how to prepare before you do your worksets.

OP, CAN benefit from deadlifts, but I just hope he/she learns the proper form FROM someone who can actually show them how to do it.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Congrats, I'm doing a therapy regimen now and sometimes the pain vanishes but then other times it returns and it comes back much worse :sad3:.

I just hope the OP, learns to STRECH and understands the fundamentals of a PROPER WARMUP, i feel alot of injuries can be prevented if people take the time before hand to understand how to do the exercise and how to prepare before you do your worksets.

OP, CAN benefit from deadlifts, but I just hope he/she learns the proper form FROM someone who can actually show them how to do it.
static stretching before training has been proven to provide no extra protection from injury, and with regards maximal strength training, can actually be counterproductive

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html

alih92

Awards
I don't know if I can or want to believe that because I've been doing stretching AND I KNOW for a FACT that it HAS BEEN HELPING (terminal knee extensions, quad sets, foam rolling) now there is the problem. My definition of stretching is a bit different then yours. I didn't mean necesarrily static stretching I meant a more broad term, I just don't know the words to fully explain what I meant...sorry for the confusion?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ali, don't get yourself in over your head, bud. The debate you're opening up is an old one, and you won't fare well. I guarantee it.

And, for the record: I have flat feet and over-extended arches in my feetand I'm 6'4". None of which has prevented me from learning to squat and deadlift and move respectable amounts of weight.

If you **** up your body, it's not the barbells fault, it's yours. Squats, done properly, are nothing but pro.

Edit:
And if you can't even learn a simple DL, just take up yoga or knitting.
I don't have flat feet, but I have a friend who does, who wants to start lifting again. He's never done squats, but he's done deadlifts. Is there any tips I should give him?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
OP:

Deadlifting is a must. It should be in your routine as a beginner, and I would not recommend anything else to anyone. Deadlift/Squat work so much of your body it is not even funny. I gained 4-6 inches on my back, and my delts blew up from deadlifting for 6 weeks. Proper form is a must with anything, especially when you are using a lot of weight, so of course take your time getting in to it, but once you have the form down strength and size will come fast. I also put my max bench from 160 to 200 in those 6 weeks, as well as breaking PRs on all exercises. This is from a newbie perspective. I don't think I woudl take advice from a season'd guy who doesn't ever deadlift to be honest...its just one of the bread and butter lifts.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I don't have flat feet, but I have a friend who does, who wants to start lifting again. He's never done squats, but he's done deadlifts. Is there any tips I should give him?
I squat with flat feet...

I do it barefoot, feels the most natural to me :\

Then again I have double jointed ankles, and most other joints as well.(my ankles have a 180 degree radius). Most lifting is unique for me, my body tries to bend unnaturally.

Honestly just make sure he is safe and balanced.

And a pair of shoes that have good arch support may be good, I just prefer not. Then again my balance is all forward because of that...

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd go light until your form is perfect. This is why ppl preach of doing the "big 3" to increase overall strength - squats, deadlifts, and bench press. Your working your whole body essentially and exerting alot of force, which will result in the release of GH and will increase testosterone.
Exercise induced hormone spikes have been proven to be kind of worthless in the overall scheme of things.... one study pointed out.

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
"There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lift your toes off the ground to keep the weight on your heels - he's gonna have to try extra hard to distribute the weight where it needs to go on his feet. That's pretty much the only issue I've had with it.

alih92

Awards
A question about shoes...
I know the best way to deadlift and squat is NO SHOES, but I feel the shoes and socks provide us with more grip and thus a more solid platform to push weight against. Now my question is, doctors have told me that wearing flat soled non compressible shoes (Chuck Taylors/Asics Onitsukas...aka what I wear/Weightlifting shoes) are bad for people with flat feet because they don't provide an arch and shoes WITH compressible soles (nike shox, what I wear now, also what my doctor recommended and said was a great shoe when I wore it on a follow up) WHICH are built in a way providing an arch are better.

So members, please tell me what I should believe, we have two sides giving me contradicting ideas. Yet from the common sense point of of view, what lifters have told me makes sense, non compressing soles provide more balance and stability YET doctors say you need a shoe that provides an arch IN ORDER TO CREATE BALANCE AND STABILITY????!?!

Also I wanna make sure the OP gets his form right and I also want to know...just what exactly is back rounding? People say during deadlifts your back should never round...so wtf does that even look or feel like? Also, where should one feel it during a deadlift? Finally, people say when you deadlift you should try to push the ground away and use your hamstrings? Now I only deadlift around 300 and I feel as I'm just sitting back, breathing in, and grinding the weight up my shins and then moving forward and when I come back down I try to come slowly as to get fatigue in my hams but alas I never feel anything...so what gives?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ I'm pretty sure the docs are refering to standing around/walking and not specifically lifting large amounts of weight on your back / off the floor :)

Go with the flat sole chuck ts, or even slip your nikes off at the dl/squat rack

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Hmm.. That nifty up arrow loses its credibility when its the first post on a page o_O

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^ I'm pretty sure the docs are refering to standing around/walking and not specifically lifting large amounts of weight on your back / off the floor :)

Go with the flat sole chuck ts, or even slip your nikes off at the dl/squat rack
Yeah, thats what I would say as well, that they were specifically talking about walking/running, situations where the foot sees impact compression.

BlutUndKraft

Awards
Mainly hamstring and lower back exercise.A large increase in test production, but the exercise is very hard and takes a while to recover from.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mainly hamstring and lower back exercise.A large increase in test production, but the exercise is very hard and takes a while to recover from.
Ah no. Grip, stance and pull distance will determine what muscles are recruited. It is a hip-dominant lift that activates the posterior chain well, but that doesn't make it exclusive to the hammies or erectors.

All exercise should be hard, and recovery is only limited by your lifestyle, work capacity and diet. I've DL'd 4 times a week in the past without overtraining.