Any suggestions - AnabolicMinds.com

Any suggestions

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

Any suggestions

Hello Im currently deployed to Afganistan and was looking for advice on a training routine. The only problem is that my COP is in the middle of nowhere and our gym is very small. Also the food we get is limited due to the fact that we rarely get resupplied. I also leave the wire almost everyday for patrols so sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym. But anyway here is what I am doing.

Day 1 Chest
    Incline DB press x4
    Flat DB press x4
    Decline DB press x4
    Flat DB flies x4
    Dips x4

Day 2 Legs
    BB Squats x4
    Leg Press x4
    Leg Extensions x4
    Leg Curls x4
    Standing BB calf raises x4

Day 3 Arms
    DB Concentration Curls x4
    BB Curl x4
    DB Hammer Curl x4
    Tri Pulldowns x4
    DB Kickbacks x4
    DB Extensions x4
    BB wrist curl x4
    Reverse BB Wrist curl x4

Day 4 Shoulders
    Arnold DB press x4
    DB Front Raises x4
    DB lateral Raises x4
    DB Shrugs x4

Day 5 Back
    Deadlifts x4
    Lat Pulldowns x4
    Machine Rows x4
    DB rows x4
    Back Extensions x4

Day 6 OFF

This is what I am doing. I try and do Cardio and Abs everyday in the evening if I have the time. Currently waiting for my supplements to get here, mail is super slow. I just wanted to here suggestions and critiques on my workout. Thanks in advance.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

It looks pretty good...I am assuming from the routine that there is no flat bench or incline/decline bench available??

What is your goal?

How is your energy, you may want ton consider eliminating arm day, and instead doing back/bis and shoulder/tris to make a 4 day split

Thanks for the service though mate, bunch of us on here, couple deployed, stick around, its a great place!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

We do have one adjustable bench that can be setup to be decline or incline. I just wanted to build more mass and attempt a bodybuilding routine. But the food the dfac serves us isnt the best. As for energy the COP Im at is at 7600 feet elevation so I kind of fatigue a little faster than normal.

As far as arm day, my weak point is my arms. Ive never been able for some reason to build up arms. Thats why I figured I dedicate a day to building arms. I know Im working them when I do the other exercise days, but it is my weak point.

My overall goal is to build muscle mass. I just want to know if this is a good routine or not for that goal.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

How many reps are you getting for each of those sets??

I feel you on the DFAC, I'm on command post island and it still blows...gym is good though. My biggest issue with out DFAC is they put WAY incorrect nutrition facts up.

If arms are the weak spot then it's cool to keep an arm day, I was just suggesting to split it up and do a four day split for energy/recovery reasons. As long as you feel good though keep the 5 day!

You are in the right spot for sure for learning, this place is nuts.

Noticed you said cardio at night, what type of Cardio are you doing and how much? Most advice is to cut cardio out 100%, but being a soldier I know that's not an option for us.

Also, what kind of history do you have? BF%, how long have you been lifting, how old are you, etc.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

Im 25 years old and weigh 205 right now. I dont know what my bf is right now, I do alot of dismounted patrols in my unit's AO though. Ive been lifting for about 6 years now but only got really serious about 2 years ago. I lost alot of weight and mass at Ranger School and cant seem to gain it back. I just want to find a bodybuilding routine that works for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and as for reps I usually start out at 12 and go down to 6. I try to get muscle failure on each set. But like I said sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym due to patrols.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bile12345 View Post
    Im 25 years old and weigh 205 right now. I dont know what my bf is right now, I do alot of dismounted patrols in my unit's AO though. Ive been lifting for about 6 years now but only got really serious about 2 years ago. I lost alot of weight and mass at Ranger School and cant seem to gain it back. I just want to find a bodybuilding routine that works for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and as for reps I usually start out at 12 and go down to 6. I try to get muscle failure on each set. But like I said sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym due to patrols.
    It's going to be hard as hell to gain any mass in theatre, for obvious reasons (its hot and just standing in our gear is cardio)

A ton of people here like 5x5 routines, and from what I read they are some of the best for gaining mass. Bill starr has a good one http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

Of course you will tailor it to yourself, like doing DB presses instead of bench, and adding isolation stuff that you like etc.

Squats and milk is a good one too if you have a limited gym:
    http://www.ironworkout.com/20_rep_squat.htm

I'm sure you know low reps and heavy weights = mass. I think it's mostly true, but I also think that HIGH reps with compound movements like squats, deads, bench, are very good for gaining mass as well.

Doing dismounted patrols is going to make it tough, you'll probably need to literally eat everything you possibly can.

Oh, and try to not go for failure every workout, you might not be gaining any mass because your muscles aren't recovering, recovery = growth :P
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Epi PCT Suggestions
    By ppycrsm in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
  2. Suggestions and help!!!
    By ticket03 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
  3. Suggestions
    By nightshift in forum Nutrition / Health