Any suggestions

Bile12345

Awards
Hello Im currently deployed to Afganistan and was looking for advice on a training routine. The only problem is that my COP is in the middle of nowhere and our gym is very small. Also the food we get is limited due to the fact that we rarely get resupplied. I also leave the wire almost everyday for patrols so sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym. But anyway here is what I am doing.

Day 1 Chest
Incline DB press x4
Flat DB press x4
Decline DB press x4
Flat DB flies x4
Dips x4

Day 2 Legs
BB Squats x4
Leg Press x4
Leg Extensions x4
Leg Curls x4
Standing BB calf raises x4

Day 3 Arms
DB Concentration Curls x4
BB Curl x4
DB Hammer Curl x4
Tri Pulldowns x4
DB Kickbacks x4
DB Extensions x4
BB wrist curl x4
Reverse BB Wrist curl x4

Day 4 Shoulders
Arnold DB press x4
DB Front Raises x4
DB lateral Raises x4
DB Shrugs x4

Day 5 Back
Deadlifts x4
Lat Pulldowns x4
Machine Rows x4
DB rows x4
Back Extensions x4

Day 6 OFF

This is what I am doing. I try and do Cardio and Abs everyday in the evening if I have the time. Currently waiting for my supplements to get here, mail is super slow. I just wanted to here suggestions and critiques on my workout. Thanks in advance.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
It looks pretty good...I am assuming from the routine that there is no flat bench or incline/decline bench available??

What is your goal?

How is your energy, you may want ton consider eliminating arm day, and instead doing back/bis and shoulder/tris to make a 4 day split :)

Thanks for the service though mate, bunch of us on here, couple deployed, stick around, its a great place!

Bile12345

Awards
We do have one adjustable bench that can be setup to be decline or incline. I just wanted to build more mass and attempt a bodybuilding routine. But the food the dfac serves us isnt the best. As for energy the COP Im at is at 7600 feet elevation so I kind of fatigue a little faster than normal.

As far as arm day, my weak point is my arms. Ive never been able for some reason to build up arms. Thats why I figured I dedicate a day to building arms. I know Im working them when I do the other exercise days, but it is my weak point.

My overall goal is to build muscle mass. I just want to know if this is a good routine or not for that goal.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
How many reps are you getting for each of those sets??

I feel you on the DFAC, I'm on command post island and it still blows...gym is good though. My biggest issue with out DFAC is they put WAY incorrect nutrition facts up.

If arms are the weak spot then it's cool to keep an arm day, I was just suggesting to split it up and do a four day split for energy/recovery reasons. As long as you feel good though keep the 5 day!

You are in the right spot for sure for learning, this place is nuts.

Noticed you said cardio at night, what type of Cardio are you doing and how much? Most advice is to cut cardio out 100%, but being a soldier I know that's not an option for us.

Also, what kind of history do you have? BF%, how long have you been lifting, how old are you, etc.

Bile12345

Awards
Im 25 years old and weigh 205 right now. I dont know what my bf is right now, I do alot of dismounted patrols in my unit's AO though. Ive been lifting for about 6 years now but only got really serious about 2 years ago. I lost alot of weight and mass at Ranger School and cant seem to gain it back. I just want to find a bodybuilding routine that works for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and as for reps I usually start out at 12 and go down to 6. I try to get muscle failure on each set. But like I said sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym due to patrols.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Im 25 years old and weigh 205 right now. I dont know what my bf is right now, I do alot of dismounted patrols in my unit's AO though. Ive been lifting for about 6 years now but only got really serious about 2 years ago. I lost alot of weight and mass at Ranger School and cant seem to gain it back. I just want to find a bodybuilding routine that works for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and as for reps I usually start out at 12 and go down to 6. I try to get muscle failure on each set. But like I said sometimes Im not a 100% in the gym due to patrols.
It's going to be hard as hell to gain any mass in theatre, for obvious reasons (its hot and just standing in our gear is cardio)

A ton of people here like 5x5 routines, and from what I read they are some of the best for gaining mass. Bill starr has a good one http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

Of course you will tailor it to yourself, like doing DB presses instead of bench, and adding isolation stuff that you like etc.

Squats and milk is a good one too if you have a limited gym:
http://www.ironworkout.com/20_rep_squat.htm

I'm sure you know low reps and heavy weights = mass. I think it's mostly true, but I also think that HIGH reps with compound movements like squats, deads, bench, are very good for gaining mass as well.

Doing dismounted patrols is going to make it tough, you'll probably need to literally eat everything you possibly can.

Oh, and try to not go for failure every workout, you might not be gaining any mass because your muscles aren't recovering, recovery = growth :p