Shoulder stiffness and soreness

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    Not trying to sound like a know it all but nearly EVERYONE that asks this does the following.

    Flat back on the bench
    Benches 90 degrees elbows flared
    Benches multiple times a week
    Doesnt deload/ always goes heavy
    Way too much upper body work
    Dont realize that squats take a huge toll on the shoulders..
    I bench once a week, I squat once a week and I deadlift once a week and never do I do these exercises on the same day. I have a back and bicep day, a chest and tricep day, a leg day and a Shoulder day.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    Not trying to sound like a know it all but nearly EVERYONE that asks this does the following.

    Flat back on the bench
    Benches 90 degrees elbows flared
    Benches multiple times a week
    What is wrong with flat back and scapula retracted?
    90 degrees elbow flare should be okay if elbows are not dropping below 90degrees to floor, this is DB bench though but BB would be called guillotine press.
    I alternate decline and flat now to ease the stress on my shoulders.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    What is wrong with flat back and scapula retracted?
    90 degrees elbow flare should be okay if elbows are not dropping below 90degrees to floor, this is DB bench though but BB would be called guillotine press.
    I alternate decline and flat now to ease the stress on my shoulders.
    whats wrong with flat back is your shoulders go way past parallel even dave tate who was fromerly a powerlifter and now benches flat back has to use a 2 board so his elbows dont go past parallel...

    Guillotine presses will trash your shoudlers imo not worth it..

    and thats good that u rotate ur lifts to prevent stress on your shoulders.

  4. That form for bench is murder on the shoulders and causes them to be very internally rotated.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. what about upright rows? I've heard so many things bad and good about them. Personally I don't like doing them.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    what about upright rows? I've heard so many things bad and good about them. Personally I don't like doing them.
    What about them?

    I believe wide grip upright's are very effective at adding lateral mass. Proper form is key for safety, and effectiveness.

    I believe close grip is more dangerous on the shoulders.

    This is coming from someone with a fncked up shoulder.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    whats wrong with flat back is your shoulders go way past parallel even dave tate who was fromerly a powerlifter and now benches flat back has to use a 2 board so his elbows dont go past parallel...
    Arched back makes it more like decline though which makes it less of a compound exercise.

    I wonder if external rotator and strong rear delts make it safe to go down far or is it a pec tear prevention rather than shoulder tear issue?

    I will ask my physio next time I see him, he told me not to go down past parallel so I make it a priority for my spotter.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That form for bench is murder on the shoulders and causes them to be very internally rotated.
    I heard they were bad too but I cant see how they are physiologically different than DB bench, everything is at pretty close to square angles in both exercises they look to me essentially the same movement:

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

  9. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    What about them?

    I believe wide grip upright's are very effective at adding lateral mass. Proper form is key for safety, and effectiveness.

    I believe close grip is more dangerous on the shoulders.

    This is coming from someone with a fncked up shoulder.
    I usually do them with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I usually do them with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.
    Exactly.

    It's important to warm-up into the this movement. I've found going heavy straight away, puts strain on my shoulders. Once my shoulders are full of blood, and warmed up, I can attempt to destroy them.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Arterial Stiffness from resistance training
    By Movin_weight in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
  2. HELP!! Stiffness and Pain
    By hardgainer87 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
  3. Neck pain/stiffness PCT
    By NYhomeboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 05:46 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
  5. neck stiffness
    By Sanosuke in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-28-2002, 10:52 PM
Log in
Log in