Help!!! Looking for a strength gaining shoulder work out!

Grimninja117

Grimninja117

Awards
I've been throwing in 3-4 random shoulder exercises 3 sets of 10 reps after doing chest and i'm not seeing much strength gain in my shoulders. Anyone got a shoulder shredder for me?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I always see good progress from a military press exercise. Be careful not to overload your shoulders, I personally think it's one of the easiest muscles to overtrain and injure. A bad shoulder can hinder chest and back exercises. JMO :)

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
I throw in a shoulder day, far away from a chest day, includes MP, lat raises, and read delt raises, depending on how I feel ill add front raises, but they are generally worked hard during the MP. Make sure you balance your three delts out so theres less risk of injury

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Stop doing that much after chest. Like said above, do them on a separate day. I am really liking standing military presses right now. I do a couple warm ups, then 2 heavy sets of 5-6, which was 135 and 140lbs this week. Then drop to 110 and do set of 10-12. Then drop 10 more and do 10 more. Then drop 10 more for a last set.

Do them strict without pushing with your legs. Put a fork in them, they are done.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i been doing a shoulder complex 2 times a week. 2 x 10 front raise side raise and mini band pullaparts

and the only other direct shoulder work i do is military press or hammer strength machine. The gaines come slow but overtraining is really easy with shoulders

Kookahdoo

Kookahdoo

Awards
  • Established
DB BB presses 4 sets 8-12 reps
Upright rows 3 sets 8-12 reps

Lat raises 3-4 sets
Front raise 3-4 sets

Bolded are my main focus exercises for shoulders.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dont stay at the same rep range. i like military press, DB shoulder press and reverse (hand grip is reversed) barbell raises. i keep my reps between 7 and 10 except on shoulder press. i go heavier on those

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Try some facepulls with the tricep rope.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
What, no love for the Push Press or Power Clean?
Power clean is not a shoulder exercise. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

I agree on the military presses and push presses. If you're going for strength I'd work them fresh with lower reps. I also like behind the neck power jerks. Facepulls are good for overall shoulder health. Don't forget to work the rear delts to keep everything balanced. When it comes to strength, I don't think dumbbells are the way to go. Also, make sure you always drive your head through at the top of the press. Too many people press in front of their bodies instead of over their head.

Grimninja117

Grimninja117

Awards

I agree on the military presses and push presses. If you're going for strength I'd work them fresh with lower reps. I also like behind the neck power jerks. Facepulls are good for overall shoulder health. Don't forget to work the rear delts to keep everything balanced. When it comes to strength, I don't think dumbbells are the way to go. Also, make sure you always drive your head through at the top of the press. Too many people press in front of their bodies instead of over their head.
I feel like this makes a lot of sense, because in my opinion (DB are great don't get me wrong) DB's are for stabilizers more than strength, but then again it helps in over all strength in the end. Thanks for the input.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I disagree: the progression of a power clean proceeds through a vertical plane of motion and both the traps and rear and medial deltoids are activated.

It is not ONLY a shoulder movement, but muscles within that group certainly play a large part in the proper execution of a power clean.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
I have to agree that shoulders need their own 'day'. A great workout IMO would go something like this

1. Seated Behind-the-Neck Barbell Press
2. Lying Lateral Dumbbell Raises
3. Upright Row
4. Rear Delt Fly (Machine/Cable)
5. Pushpress w/ Negative Emphasis (for a finisher)
6. Barbell Shrugs/additional upper trap work

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I disagree: the progression of a power clean proceeds through a vertical plane of motion and both the traps and rear and medial deltoids are activated.

It is not ONLY a shoulder movement, but muscles within that group certainly play a large part in the proper execution of a power clean.
The hips move the weight up, the arms are just ropes that guide the weight where it needs to be. I'm sorry that you disagree, but correct technique, the shoulders aren't being used to any significant extent. If you lose your posture at the catch, your arms come down and could use your rear delts to keep it up. But again, correct power clean technique, the arms are just ropes, the hips move the weight.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The hips move the weight up, the arms are just ropes that guide the weight where it needs to be. I'm sorry that you disagree, but correct technique, the shoulders aren't being used to any significant extent. If you lose your posture at the catch, your arms come down and could use your rear delts to keep it up. But again, correct power clean technique, the arms are just ropes, the hips move the weight.
I never made any mention of the arms, I was talking about the rear and medial deltoids. As hips are driven forward on a power clean, the lifter shrugs during the second pull; causing scapular elevaton and shoulder flexion, abduction and rotation.

Show a new trainee proper technique on the power clean, have them execute it perfectly, then ask them where they are sore the next day - across the back of the shoulders and traps amongst other places.

I'm not saying the power clean is the best out there for hypertrophy, but it'll definitely bring your power up and accustom you to catching high weight across the front of your shoulders, which has helped my presses and jerks quite a bit.

Still, I'm not gonna argue this with you, I just don't care that much. However, I appreciate your politeness and the good discussion you brought about. :cheers:

Grimninja117

Grimninja117

Awards
I definitely remember being very sore in my traps the first time I did power cleans all those years ago :p

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Love me some power cleans. Definitely feel them in legs and traps