drop sets/super sets

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
right now i am trying to cut off only a bit of fat but still gain muscle. i am eating a clean bulk but doing cardio after my workout. for my goal, what r your thoughts on doing drop sets or super sets during my workout? ive been doing them the past week and i wake up extremely sore.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I love using super sets. Think they ate great to use to get rid of fat. Also high rep fast cleans. Reps of like 15-20 are one of my favorites

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
I always throw them in. Sometimes, at the end, I'll drop two or even three times (three is easier on cable or dumbbells). They finish off a muscle, get your heart beating, and give a killer pump!

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets are more for strength in my opinion. Supersetting is great for keeping your heart rate up, that's how I keep my body fat down. I burn too many cals doing it!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree. im trying to cut my fat down a little bit and add muscle so im lifting and eating like a clean bulk, but doing more drop sets and cardio till may where i will really cut.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i agree...i love supersets...when doing them i like to make sure i'm supersetting muscles in different ways...for example i won't superset flat barbell bench press with flatdumbell bench press but i may superset flat barbell bench press with incline flys...or a front delt raise superset with rear delt lateral raise

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what benefits do u guys see from supersets? strength? mass? BF decrease? im new to this

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i use supersets to keep the heart rate up...also works well if your squeezing in a workout and can't be there all day

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
what benefits do u guys see from supersets? strength? mass? BF decrease? im new to this
Endurance, bf decrease, arms pumped full of blood they look as if they're going to explode.

I wouldn't superset for mass or strength, unless you are doing slooooow supersets with alternating body parts.

I may do weighted dips, rest a minute, barbell curls, rest a minute, back to dips. That way between each set of dips there's a couple minutes rest, and same for bb curls. So technically it's still supersetting but without the increased heart rate, and I can still hit the rep range I want with the weight I want.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Like chubbin said- arms pumped full of blood. Before NO products came out there were only drop sets. I use them whether I'm cutting or trying to bulk. If you're cutting you should be doing high reps anyways, and if you're doing thee 6-8 range, a good drop set on the last exercise for each muscle group really torches the muscle, gets it pumped, and primes it for growth.
IMO
I've always used them and always will!

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
supersetted workouts with a FST-7 style finishing exercise will have u sweating and pumped to the fullest.

Fst-7 would just be 7 sets 10-12 reps with 15 seconds rest in between each set

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ill tell you what, when i use 100% proper form except on my last rep, and do drop sets, i get more sore then i ever have in my life.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
It requires more muscle fibers to activate. One day, at the end of a workout, try dropping about 20%, go to failure, then drop another 20% and go to failure, then one more time (if muscles are too exhausted at least get a couple of negatives)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been utilizing a lot of giant sets recently and LOVING them. I'll pick a weight I could do straight for 5reps and do 3 reps for 4-5 movements without rest. It's killer.

For example:

move as fast as possible between lifts
Pin Squat: 385x3 Cluster
Olympic Front Squat: 275x3
Back Squat: 315x3
Barbell Hack: 405x3
Step DB Calf Raise: 75x3
Do this 5 times and call me evil.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been utilizing a lot of giant sets recently and LOVING them. I'll pick a weight I could do straight for 5reps and do 3 reps for 4-5 movements without rest. It's killer.

For example:

move as fast as possible between lifts
Pin Squat: 385x3 Cluster
Olympic Front Squat: 275x3
Back Squat: 315x3
Barbell Hack: 405x3
Step DB Calf Raise: 75x3
Do this 5 times and call me evil.

the only reason why i would never try this is because, doing a high amount of weight and very low reps is hard on ur nervous system, doing it for 5 different movements 5 times at 3 reps probably kills it.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the only reason why i would never try this is because, doing a high amount of weight and very low reps is hard on ur nervous system, doing it for 5 different movements 5 times at 3 reps probably kills it.
Your CNS is just as capable of adapting to a style of training as any other part of your body. If this would be tough on your CNS, maybe you need to work on bringing up your workout volume/density.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Your CNS is just as capable of adapting to a style of training as any other part of your body. If this would be tough on your CNS, maybe you need to work on bringing up your workout volume/density.
Exactly. I had to bring all my sets up on chest to 7 for each exercise with maximum weight for 8-10 reps. That's the only way I can get it to hurt.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im talking about recovery time in between sets..that workout looks horrible

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im talking about recovery time in between sets..that workout looks horrible
Yeah, that's the idea behind a giant set - lot's of work in a little bit of time. There is a method to the madness:

Begin with a high-load partial ROM, allowing for CNS preparation (i.e. Pin squats)

Transition to a more demanding movement on which you must use a much lighter load (Front Squats). Using the Pin Squats first will make the Front Squats feel lighter.

Transition to an easier movement and either maintain the load or increase is slightly, depending upon your training capacity (Back Squats). You descending a ladder of difficulty as the set progresses, and you'll be winded now but the squats should still be easier than the front squats you just did.

Finish off with an even easier movement with smaller ROM (BB Hacks) and your quads will thank you.

The CNS is fine because in between each movement, even if your transitioning as fast as possible, you'll still have 10-15sec of lag time. Additionally, you're not using maximal load - only 2-3reps with a 5RM.