Abs Issues

sooner999

Awards
I am a prototypical ectomorph. I naturally carry a very low body fat percentage. I have visible veins in my forarms and biceps and have a very flat stomach, no flab (when flexed can hardly pinch anything).

Although I have this lean build and decent muscle tone I cannot see my abs. When I flex I can see the top two or so (no obliques) and without flexing my abs are non existant. If anything my stomach protrudes a little.

I eat a clean diet. 90% of the sugar I consume comes naturally from the fuit I eat with the remaining coming from low fat yogurt or a granola bar. Same goes with fat, my only vice is the steaks I like to eat but I stick with lean cuts and try to cut off as much of the fat as possible.

In the gym I dont kill myslef with abs b/c I have heard time and time again with a low enough BF% the abs will stick through on thier own, no need to over-do them. I stay away from cardio however b/c when I do, being an ecto, I shrink considerably fast.

I am currently 6ft tall and weigh 173 pounds. What is the issue? Does anybody know what I will have to do to have a legit 6-pack? I dont think lowering my BF% any lower is possible if I want to keep any bulk in my body. I am realalistic and dont plan on looking like a freak of nature but I would love to have abs resembling this...

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/f...pack-abs-800X800.jpg

Any suggestions? Diet? Training?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You need to develop abs just like other muscles. If your BF is that low and you don't see them you need to work on them more.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Do heavy cable crunches and build the muscle you want to show.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
Hit them hard with varying heavy and higher rep movements, not necessarily going to failure. Use short rests of about 30 secs or so.
2-3 times per weeks has worked well for me, my abs were at their worst, strength and appearance wise when I was doing them only once per week.
But i'm not you I guess.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
u say u want abs and they dont show only when u flex but u dont work them out cause they show already???? do abs every other day, even at home. get a medicine ball and sit with ur feel levitating and twist to each side to get obliques. there are numerous oblique and abs workouts. just google it

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
What a difference adding weight to your crunches makes... I highly recommend decline crunches with extra weight. holding a 25 to 35 pound weight over the top of my head (not my face) while doing decline crunches is pretty great. Then, once I feel like I can't do any more, I put the weight on my chest and bang out some more.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
What a difference adding weight to your crunches makes... I highly recommend decline crunches with extra weight. holding a 25 to 35 pound weight over the top of my head (not my face) while doing decline crunches is pretty great. Then, once I feel like I can't do any more, I put the weight on my chest and bang out some more.
Weighted ab/lower back work is where its at, especially if you want to lift injury free on the big 3. :AR15firing:

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Weighted ab/lower back work is where its at, especially if you want to lift injury free on the big 3. :AR15firing:
I'll keep this in mind. I just really started taking deadlift seriously, and started doing squats the way they're supposed to be done (below parallel) and I definitely don't want to get injured. I think my lower back needs the most work, so gonna start doing the lower back incline thing with weights more often.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Deff train your abs with weight. You just have to make them bigger so their more apparent which shouldnt be a problem with your low bf %.