What's your handicap (weakness) in the gym?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

What's your handicap (weakness) in the gym?

what i mean is- what about you hinders (or makes you think of work-arounds for it) your bodybuilding goals... or just what plain bugs you about yourself that you wish you could improve but genetics dealt you a bad hand?...

in my case: my hands.

i have tiny hands. women hands. it sucks.

my wife's hands are as big as mine.

i have to use straps so much more than the next guy... i actually have versa-grips that i use... i gotta do what i gotta do to lift heavy... my pic may actually show up on the "THAT GUY IN YOUR GYM" thread... lol

chime in with your downfalls

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.69%

I'm short (barely 5'9")
    I have horrible knees (two ACL reconstructions, and tons of damage)
    I get tendonitis super easy. Especially in my patellar tendon, and in my elbows.

I can't seem to get my calves to develop right. They are super strong...just lack size.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.09%

squats i played hockey bad knee . i will be squating 140 and look like im going to die and most of the time im going to i have 27 in thighs and 19 in calf i think it must look funny.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95%

I would agree with drivehard, I'm only a little over 5'9" myself, but I'd have to say the worst would be my lower back, I hurt it in a competitive cycling crash when I was 18. I can't squat anything heavy or it just causes pain, I can front squat, but still not much weight.
  5. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Middle aged women...
  6. jim623

Upper chest... I have none.

Drivehard, you have 2" on me bro, I'm short, lol.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

man... and i thought i had it rough..
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.75%

Being 6'7'' i find myself unable to make use of a lot of the equipment at my gym. For example, i never use the lat bar because its impossible for me to get a good stretch at the top of the movement. Nor can I make use of the decline bench, T-bar machine or any kind of smith machine squat. I can also no longer deadlift, squat or free T-bar row due to two back injuries. Even though I cant perform some of my favorite exercises or use some of the common machines, I find creative ways around the hurdles and continue to make gains and enjoy myself.
    Train Hard!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.17%

im too jacked and it draws a lot of unwanted attention from not bigs that want to strike up convos. usually they want to know what my routine is or what im using.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

Quote Originally Posted by FreakSho View Post
    Being 6'7'' i find myself unable to make use of a lot of the equipment at my gym. For example, i never use the lat bar because its impossible for me to get a good stretch at the top of the movement. Nor can I make use of the decline bench, T-bar machine or any kind of smith machine squat. I can also no longer deadlift, squat or free T-bar row due to two back injuries. Even though I cant perform some of my favorite exercises or use some of the common machines, I find creative ways around the hurdles and continue to make gains and enjoy myself.
    Train Hard!
    standing calf raises machine?... oy vey
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstalker View Post
    im too jacked and it draws a lot of unwanted attention from not bigs that want to strike up convos. usually they want to know what my routine is or what im using.
    wtf pic?
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  290 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.69%

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by FreakSho View Post
    Train Hard!
    Being 6'5 - I feel you. I was interested in your back problems. About 3 years ago, I had minor back sugery to repair L4 disc. At the time, the doc said I would not be able to lift heavy again. Well, after a slow crawl back to strength and size, I am lifting super heavy and am stronger now than I have ever been. Bent over rows are one of my favs, and yesterday was hitting it for 315 while suppersetting incline dumbells 150s. I mean, my lower back is sore...but a kinda good sore. No pain down the leg or anything. Am I being a complete idiot? You cant put me in a gym and tell me not to train heavy, but how stupid am I being?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.69%

Quote Originally Posted by jim623 View Post
    Upper chest... I have none.

Drivehard, you have 2" on me bro, I'm short, lol.
    :-)
    The one golden thing about being short...
    MASSIVE deadlifting ability!!!
  14. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by capnsavem View Post
    wtf pic?
    He's 6'3" 178lb, no pic is necessary. He's just messin' with ya.

My biggest handicap in the gym is other people: using the equipment improperly, hogging the power rack when they don't even need it, or trying to strike up a conversation with me while I'm in a set.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  15. jim623

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    :-)
    The one golden thing about being short...
    MASSIVE deadlifting ability!!!
    And every little gain stands out big time.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

I have 33 degree scoliosis and a lot of muscle imbalances. I have lost two inches in height in 5 years. If I don't work out my back, its hurts a lot under my ribcage that protrudes.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  290 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.69%

You guys suck

Quote Originally Posted by jim623 View Post
    And every little gain stands out big time.
    I'm starting to cut now after a 6 month bulk where I gained 60 some lbs. In the last few weeks I've dropped from 315 to 290 with almost no visable difference. You little dudes got it made when it comes to weight lifting and mass etc. Now short mans complex and gettin' the ladies are problems I will never have. Girls like big, tall, men. Bad part is that people are like dogs, the big breeds don't live as long.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.17%

it seems like all the tall ones are having back problems and I'm no exception. I have a disk in my lower spine (L3-L4) protruding into spine nerves (8mm) for 6 years now. For a while, I could squat and deadlift but last time I woke up in my bed and couldn't move my legs. They were totally cramped. Paramedics drove me to hospital and since then they want to cut, but I've tried to manage without it, even though I can't push my left leg straight on the leg press etc., Some say your back will never be the same after you've been cut.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    I have 33 degree scoliosis and a lot of muscle imbalances. I have lost two inches in height in 5 years. If I don't work out my back, its hurts a lot under my ribcage that protrudes.

sorry to hear that bro... makes my complaints seem petty...
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  154 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.83%

I have a degenerated disc L4-L5 as well as missing that ligament due to spinabifida (the mildest case though) It sucks because i'm only 19. All I can tell anyone with a bad back is avoid surgery if at all possible. Find a good pain management doc and wait for future/better treatments. On another note, my dominant side (right) is smaller than my left, and in some areas weaker. It is most noticeable (size and weakness), in my upper body, particularly my pec. My neuroscience professor told me it could be that I was born a lefty but became a righty. it is really annoying.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.39%

Quote Originally Posted by adampl2t View Post
    it seems like all the tall ones are having back problems and I'm no exception. I have a disk in my lower spine (L3-L4) protruding into spine nerves (8mm) for 6 years now. For a while, I could squat and deadlift but last time I woke up in my bed and couldn't move my legs. They were totally cramped. Paramedics drove me to hospital and since then they want to cut, but I've tried to manage without it, even though I can't push my left leg straight on the leg press etc., Some say your back will never be the same after you've been cut.
    Damn dude, have the same thing at L4-L5. Never had my legs go paralyzed though. That's f*cking nuts.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Yeah, I won't need surgery till im older as long as I stay in shape.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Bad right elbow due to a bone spur with the tendon attached. It started when I was 22 and has gotten worse over the years from all the heavy lifting. Sometimes I can't even finish a tricep workout from the pain.

And yes, being fairly jacked in China, folks will follow you around the gym, watching everything you do, ask what you eat, how you train, etc. Some of them even want to feel your arms, chest, etc. It was kind of flattering at first, but gets old pretty quick.
  24. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by roids1 View Post
    And yes, being fairly jacked in China, folks will follow you around the gym, watching everything you do, ask what you eat, how you train, etc. Some of them even want to feel your arms, chest, etc. It was kind of flattering at first, but gets old pretty quick.
    You should tell him you feed on new-born chinese males, thats why you moved to China - then roar with laughter, holding your arms in the air!
  25. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

IDK, that might turn out to be a pick-up line for the local gay boyz.
  26. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by roids1 View Post
    IDK, that might turn out to be a pick-up line for the local gay boyz.
    what, throwing your arms in the air and laughing like a madman? I'll keep that in mind next time Im passing through.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Werd! You never know around these parts.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

lol.. this thread took a wrong turn
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel65 View Post
    Being 6'5 - I feel you. I was interested in your back problems. About 3 years ago, I had minor back sugery to repair L4 disc. At the time, the doc said I would not be able to lift heavy again. Well, after a slow crawl back to strength and size, I am lifting super heavy and am stronger now than I have ever been. Bent over rows are one of my favs, and yesterday was hitting it for 315 while suppersetting incline dumbells 150s. I mean, my lower back is sore...but a kinda good sore. No pain down the leg or anything. Am I being a complete idiot? You cant put me in a gym and tell me not to train heavy, but how stupid am I being?
    Im guessing if your back injury was serious to be operated on its not very wise to be using that much weight. But I am no doctor and if your comfortable with those exercises and are getting results, go with it. When I first injured my lower back deadlifting i could barely bend down to put my socks on and swore off deads for good. But 11 months of recovery later I thought I was in the clear to start up again. Bad choice. My second time back at it I was warming up with 225 and POP! I had to have a buddy help me walk to my car! This injury was even more sever than thee last. It was pretty embarrassing but thats what it took for me to realize its not worth the risk. Again its up to you whether or not to continue to train like that I'm just saying it might not be dangerous.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Masturbation and weakness
    By Hope in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 10:27 AM
  2. Bringing up weakness in bench
    By blitzkriegjim in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
  4. bench weakness