• it got my normal body in shape

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
alright guys wats your thoughts on crossfit the ppl i talk to tell me its soo hard and all this crap and i will fail cuz its so hard. well i went to a crossfit gym and its not harder than my high school wrestling program

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I was just looking at CrossFit yesterday. Once you weed out the elitist attitudes, it seems like a good program.

Omega

Omega

Awards
hahahah, thats some good stuff. thanks for posting!!!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
That vid was great

I was looking into a crossfit gym just to see what it's like. From what I can tell the regular crossfit routines are not that difficult and people add timed snatches and other lifts beforehand to increase the difficulty.

I view it as something that would complement 'regular' weight training but definitely not a replacement.

I feel I'd be substituting one arrogant atmosphere with another.

bradleywiens

bradleywiens

Awards
  • Established
CrossFit is awesome. I do it during cut phases, and it really leans me out while maintaining my strength.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
That vid was great

I was looking into a crossfit gym just to see what it's like. From what I can tell the regular crossfit routines are not that difficult and people add timed snatches and other lifts beforehand to increase the difficulty.

I view it as something that would complement 'regular' weight training but definitely not a replacement.

I feel I'd be substituting one arrogant atmosphere with another.

yeah deff alot of the ppl are very arrogant

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah deff alot of the ppl are very arrogant
My main beef with CrossFit is the propaganda surrounding it. I've seen many CrossFit'ers, but none that are actually strong. By strong, I mean being able to do some heavy P-P, squats, deads, etc.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work at a cross-fit gym as a CSCS, who hasn't drank the cross-fit koolaid. My objective opinion is that it's great for weight loss and people trying to stay "fit," in respect to body fat. However, as far as muscle hypertrophy, man-handling strength or the development of the amount of power required of real athletes... nay. Great for conditioning, not so great for the upper echelon of strength, muscle or power.

I'll also attest to the arrogant douche'baggery of a lot of cross-fit trainers. One of the cross-fit trainers said to me, "if someone took steroids doing cross-fit, they'd get way swoller then that bodybuilding B***Sh**"

I'd love to bust this smiley out in real life: :gotsearch

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
P.S. Cross-fitters also like to reference the NSCA studies and hire S&C coach to give seminars, in order to polish their credibility, while at the same time, they mock the arbitrary studies the NSCA publishes (thus, our knowledge is irrelevant [in comparison to theirs]) and they mock traditional training methods of S&C coaches as old fashioned and non-progressive.

I can go on...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work at a cross-fit gym as a CSCS, who hasn't drank the cross-fit koolaid. My objective opinion is that it's great for weight loss and people trying to stay "fit," in respect to body fat. However, as far as muscle hypertrophy, man-handling strength or the development of the amount of power required of real athletes... nay. Great for conditioning, not so great for the upper echelon of strength, muscle or power.

I'll also attest to the arrogant douche'baggery of a lot of cross-fit trainers. One of the cross-fit trainers said to me, "if someone took steroids doing cross-fit, they'd get way swoller then that bodybuilding B***Sh**"

I'd love to bust this smiley out in real life: :gotsearch
Please, tell me you gave that guy a mighty wallop to the scrotum. That's the kind of arrogance that makes me hate CrossFit. BBing has its faults as well, but they're much more honest about their goals. For them, it's more about looking stronger than they really are. Aesthetics are at the top of their priorities.

I personally lie somewhere in the middle, but I will not call myself a CrossFit supporter. They're goof at what they do: high-rep, low-weight circuits. It's a conditioning program and not a strength program. If they'd cut that BS from their template, then I wouldn't have nearly as much hate for them.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
P.S.S. Many of them cannot attain a CSCS (due to a lack of a college degree and/or lack of knowledge), therefore, a cross-fit trainer with an Olympic Lifting Certification is the hottest new ticket. They can tell you how to perform a decent clean and snatch, but as far as knowing why an athlete would need it in respect to the necessity of a strong, single moment of power or knowing what the hell a stretch shortening cycle is for the athlete, nay. Yet even the wanna be S&C coaches, will mock S&C coaches.

For a large part, I see them (trainers) as having a high school mentality. They think they've got it all figured out, but in reality... :ponder:

I can go on....

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please, tell me you gave that guy a mighty wallop to the scrotum. That's the kind of arrogance that makes me hate CrossFit. BBing has its faults as well, but they're much more honest about their goals. For them, it's more about looking stronger than they really are. Aesthetics are at the top of their priorities.

I personally lie somewhere in the middle, but I will not call myself a CrossFit supporter. They're goof at what they do: high-rep, low-weight circuits. It's a conditioning program and not a strength program. If they'd cut that BS from their template, then I wouldn't have nearly as much hate for them.
I like the metabolic training aspect and even the mental toughness it has the potential to build. I think it's great for conditioning, but not for strength or power.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the metabolic training aspect and even the mental toughness it has the potential to build. I think it's great for conditioning, but not for strength or power.
I love to mess with them about the 5 components of fitness and how they exclude one tremendously: muscular strength. They take lifts that are power in nature and pervert them into conditioning lifts. And don't get me started about kip pull-ups...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love to mess with them about the 5 components of fitness and how they exclude one tremendously: muscular strength. They take lifts that are power in nature and pervert them into conditioning lifts. And don't get me started about kip pull-ups...
I know. I have a lady who I train, who is actually really kick ass in general, but while she can do 15 straight kips, she can't do 5 solid pull ups.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know. I have a lady who I train, who is actually really kick ass in general, but while she can do 15 straight kips, she can't do 5 solid pull ups.
I'm not a pull-up machine, but I do them with solid form. There are several CF'ers at my gym and they all think that they're in an elite echelon of fitness. They remind me of the Smug episode of South Park.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not making this up, but one of the CF trainers, along with three or four other CF'ers, said something to this effect, "we should all just go up to the L.A. Fitness and start doing burpees and cleans, everybody will be like, huh, what are they doing, that's so crazy..."

and they each chimed in on how fun it would be to blow the people's minds at L.A. Fitness with burpees and cleans. This is a true story and each Defendant were genuinely impressed with themselves about their mind-blow-up-ability.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not making this up, but one of the CF trainers, along with three or four other CF'ers, said something to this effect, "we should all just go up to the L.A. Fitness and start doing burpees and cleans, everybody will be like, huh, what are they doing, that's so crazy..."

and they each chimed in on how fun it would be to blow the people's minds at L.A. Fitness with burpees and cleans. This is a true story and each Defendant were genuinely impressed with themselves about their mind-blow-up-ability.

lutherblsstt

alright guys wats your thoughts on crossfit the ppl i talk to tell me its soo hard and all this crap and i will fail cuz its so hard. well i went to a crossfit gym and its not harder than my high school wrestling program
Crossfit is random programming with no sports specific goals in mind. The tip off should be that you'll be in a class doing the exact same workouts as a cop, a basketball player, a discus thrower, and a house wife. There's no way one workout can be optimal for all those people at the same time.

In the sports training world, they call that GPP, general physical preparation. If you use it for that, it's fine. But once you need to develop specific sports movements or rehab/strengthen specific weak areas of your own personal body, crossfit fails.

And coincidentally, I was reading this article on t-nation about 30 seconds before I clicked on this thread. It's relatively unbiased and pretty much echos my opinions, albeit in much more details and more eloquently written

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article..._about_crossfit

Omega

Omega

Awards
i agree with pretty much everyone. and volcom, i think you're very smart and i enjoy reading and respect what you have to say but your avatar is VERY DISTURBING. i mean god..... looking at that just doesnt sit right with me. it bothers me. not complaining or trying to tell you what to do or whining just wanted to say that cause i really do enjoy reading your posts but seeing that face makes me ill. =-]

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea people act like this is so hard i hate it. This dude comes in with his gf and a WALL CLOCK he sets infront of him to time his lifts or whatever. His shorts his balls should be hanging out by how short they are, but hes doing crossfit so prolly got no balls. Hes chalking up to dumbell clean 75 pound dumbells and is about 185 pounds... i have pulled 90% of my deadlift max 8 singles and 8 singles with 90% of my bench max THEN db cleaned 90s for 3 sets of 5

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No... my way is right
No it's not, MY WAY is right
nu uh, my way is right

My question is... who cares how others train? CF has a place and helps people that do not have your specific goals.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No... my way is right
No it's not, MY WAY is right
nu uh, my way is right

My question is... who cares how others train? CF has a place and helps people that do not have your specific goals.
I agree, but Rodja and I's conversation was not in regards to how others train, it was primarily discussing the gross arrogance, amidst the gross ignorance that surround a large part of the CF population. I was primarily targeting the CF trainers I work with. Apart from that, I'm not sure if anyone was arguing whether CF has it's place in fitness or not. If any such question was posed, it would have been whether CF has a place in athletic training and the gripe there was that CF is only half the necessary equation (conditioning), but CF trainers and practitioners a like have enlightened themselves to believe it's 100% of the equation. I know you weren't directly addressing my posts, but I like to clarify.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Is it me or are kipping pullups really fun to do? I feel like a kid again swinging on the monkey bars...

I have shoulder problems and have found kipping pullups really help as a work around when my shoulders don't feel like doing regular pullups

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it me or are kipping pullups really fun to do? I feel like a kid again swinging on the monkey bars...

I have shoulder problems and have found kipping pullups really help as a work around when my shoulders don't feel like doing regular pullups
Is it shoulder inflexibility or pre-existing injuries?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree, but Rodja and I's conversation was not in regards to how others train, it was primarily discussing the gross arrogance, amidst the gross ignorance that surround a large part of the CF population. I was primarily targeting the CF trainers I work with. Apart from that, I'm not sure if anyone was arguing whether CF has it's place in fitness or not. If any such question was posed, it would have been whether CF has a place in athletic training and the gripe there was that CF is only half the necessary equation (conditioning), but CF trainers and practitioners a like have enlightened themselves to believe it's 100% of the equation. I know you weren't directly addressing my posts, but I like to clarify.
Oh I understand that. but then the tone of some people sound the same as the trainers story, only about their own type of training. There are douches training in every style.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh I understand that. but then the tone of some people sound the same as the trainers story, only about their own type of training. There are douches training in every style.
I won't disagree there. WWIII won't be between religious oppositions, but a DC vs. CF internet battle so heated, that the world blows up.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Is it shoulder inflexibility or pre-existing injuries?
I've never seriously injured my shoulder but I get pains in them when I don't use a neutral grip. The pain is around my posterior delt so I'm thinking it's a rotator cuff problem. I've never had both bother me at the same time and it's usually my left one that gets hurt the most.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never seriously injured my shoulder but I get pains in them when I don't use a neutral grip. The pain is around my posterior delt so I'm thinking it's a rotator cuff problem. I've never had both bother me at the same time and it's usually my left one that gets hurt the most.
Tight rotator cuff muscles. Foam roll both the anterior and posterior delt and some DC stretching of the lats will get the flexibility back.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Tight rotator cuff muscles. Foam roll both the anterior and posterior delt and some DC stretching of the lats will get the flexibility back.
Yea, since I've switched over to DC I've seen an improvement as far as my shoulders feeling healthy. I also do other rotator and shoulder work slowly but surely it's getting better.

Do you have links on how to foam roll shoulders? I've only seen it used on the lower body and nothing is popping up when I searched it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found some on YouTube. Really focus on grinding out the junk in the teres minor, subscapularis, and the anterior delt