What do you do when you've lost your drive?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting for a good chunk of time now. Probably around 7 years or so, and just recently having graduated and what not I am finding it hard to lift. I've been working out rather sporadically for the past 6 months, not able to get back on a normal routine, and when I do lift, not happy with my performance. It's been a struggle to get myself into the gym because I know how far I've fallen.

I've tried going in and just ignoring the weight I do, knowing that it's not important the amount I lift weight wise but instead the effort, and still it is harder than it was to motivate myself.

I've already taken a break just to chill with friends and drink for a month or so, and I'm still lacking motivation.

So what do you all do when your drive to lift is lacking? I still love lifting and I can't see myself as someone who just stops lifting and shrinks back to a newbie size (although through the past 6 months I still have some size after drinking and lifting sparingly; I think my normal homeostasis is still to hold some size) but I am lacking motivation. So what helps ya'll when you're down?

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
Well, you have just discovered the problem that many of us have faced at one time or another. And there is no "right" answer. You need to find what motivates you to go to the gym and lift. Why did you start? What did you use to love about it? Try remembering those times and that may rekindle your passion for weights.

I find that in times of extreme stress I slack on going to the gym, which is exactly the opposite of what I should be doing. I really have to force myself to go sometimes, but those can turn into some of the most rewarding workouts.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Its funny...we all have run across this from time to time.

Personally, I get the BEST workouts when I am stressed, or there is something bringing stress into my life. I slack the MOST when life is great, and I would rather be out enjoying it with the ones I love. I still have not found the perfect motivator...and often times just keep slogging through a workout unmotivated.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Experiment with working out at different times of the day. I have no drive when it's late and no one is at the gym. I need some energy in the gym. If it's dead then I feel the same way. Try a detox, get rid of all the built up crap in you from all that lifting. I've been hittin' it for years, too, and I'm down 11 pounds cause of loss of desire to eat and lift. Gettin' back into the groove of things though. Just gotta force myself to get in there and kill it.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
well i was going to suggest taking time off, but that would be a problem.

there was a wise BB that said something to the effect that if you don't have a goal then you are going nowhere. like driving around with no destination

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Lennoxchi is right man!
When I feel unmovitivated I literally go into the Picture forums over here and at BB.com
I look around at some of the other peoples gains and transformations.. Nothing gets me in the mood to workout than seeing something on someone that I want (no homo!!) be it an 8 pack or 17" arms.. or apples in the calves etc..
Look around at different physiques.. It's my weird way of staying competetive (since I don't compete in sports anymore)

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
A new playlist on your mp3 player, a new routine/keeping a training journal and last but not least watching Pumping Iron all help me a lot.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Get training partners and surround yourself with motivated people. The more people that you can get to train with you the more people you have to disappoint by not showing up or not trying, therefore your going to try and save face by consistently showing up.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What are your goals man?

How can you just go in and lift just to be lifting?

There has to be some type of goal to attain; therefore, you are able to build small stepping stones to that goal. Man is driven by achieving SOMETHING. So, you must put something in front of you that you are willing and want to achieve.

Say, right now, you are at 180 on the bench. Your goal could be that in 6 months, you will be hitting 350 on the bench. Unrealistic? yes, perhaps, especially natural, but you get my idea.

Say that your cholesterol is now 220, your goal could be to get it down to 180. What would be the steps that you must take to get it down? Change diet, walk, jog, research supplements which help lower the LDL and raise the HDL. You may even lift with a different tempo to induce more "fat loss".

say, you are 190. You may say that you want to gain 10lbs of muscle and loss 5lbs of fat in 6 months. Now, write the road that is going to get you there.

After you have set a goal that you want to obtain, you can set small stepping stones to get to that goal. All in all, it is the goal and the ATTEMPT to attain them that is going to push you to go to the gym. lifting just because your friends are lifting or for social reasons will only last as long as those friends are there....

hope this helps bud...

thundalegs199

Awards
i find that the less i feel like going to the gym, the better workouts i have! force yourself to go when your feeling down and just do it! what nparisi said was right about the mp3 player. change your music up all the time.

What gets you pumped?

when i first started working out when i was 9 years old i used to watch dragon ball z before every workout and i would get so pumped!

we've all been through it. just get in the gym and do what you have to do!!

redline2101

Awards
Well think about why you started in the first place. Most people don't start lifting for no reason. I think self-motivation and consistency is half learned and half genetic. Some people just find it harder to stay motivated than others, so you really have to dig deeper and really think about why your doing what your doing. Its never easy to make yourself work for no reason. A survival instinct is to conserve energy. You need to be the kind of person that can not only invision their goal, but push past the natural instincts to quit when you don't want to do something. Nobody is making you lift. The only thing that can motivate you is asking yourself "Do I still want this?". Find your reason for starting to lift, and ask yourself if that is still what you want. If it is just suck it up and push through. My friend Greg was a Navy SEAL, and through Hell Week he said the hardest part wasn't the lack of sleep, the cold, or the push ups. It was waking up after that one hour of sleep and FORCING yourself to push through the mental fog and jump back in that freezing water. He said once you commit to pushing through and at least giving it one more shot, it ends up not being that bad. Sure theres going to be days where you don't want to go to the gym and exercise and it would seem much better to lay on a couch. You can validate this decision to yourself a million times, but in the end of the day you don't stay the same. You have to make the decision to get better or worse every day. Just keep pushing through man, persistence pays off.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Let me say i feel ya man im going through same thing right now im starting to get back into it but its hard its not that i dont have time or dont want to just alot going on and i dont have the motivation to go down and lift. I think whats motivated me recently is the fact that i dont want to go back to what i was when i started lifting everyone gave great insight on what you should do, everyones different so just find a spark and go for it. Sometimes theres distractions and other things and for me i fell out of a routine and it caused a lot of trouble i never should of taken a break cause i didnt come back but hey it happens to us all.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
just go workout 4 days a week try to break PR at every lift everytime ur in weather its reps or weight (obviously dont do this for bench squat dl or u will over trian ) and go in at night so ur spending all day getting random **** around the house down at work etc.. u eat all ur meals and u get to go lift drink a shake and be done !

Ddono25

Awards
Just as it has been stated, we've all been there. I think most of the posts have great insight and tips, but I would say you could just go with what you're feeling and don't go. If there are a lot of things going on in your life maybe you need to take care of them first.

You said you just graduated, most of the time that means life changes and looking for or adjusting to a new full-time job. Focus your energies on that if you can and get the most out of that experience. If you are thinking about going back to school for another degree or certification, check that out in depth and see what is being offered. Maybe invest time and energy into a new hobby or interest. I have no idea what your life, interest or schedule is like, I am just offering some advice that has helped me in these situations.

The gym is not the be-all/end-all of existence and most people have a variety of interests and needs. If there is something else you would rather be doing then you should do it and not feel bad about not making it to the gym every other day. I have taken a couple of sabbaticals from the iron in my life, and everytime I come back in a few months wanting to do better. Also, if you're worried about size maintenance or losing definition, just keep the diet in check (adequate protein, don't eat fast food everyday, etc.) you should be fine. Plus muscle-memory is fun, you won't believe how well your body can respond to weight training when you get back in to it.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Just as it has been stated, we've all been there. I think most of the posts have great insight and tips, but I would say you could just go with what you're feeling and don't go. If there are a lot of things going on in your life maybe you need to take care of them first.

You said you just graduated, most of the time that means life changes and looking for or adjusting to a new full-time job. Focus your energies on that if you can and get the most out of that experience. If you are thinking about going back to school for another degree or certification, check that out in depth and see what is being offered. Maybe invest time and energy into a new hobby or interest. I have no idea what your life, interest or schedule is like, I am just offering some advice that has helped me in these situations.

The gym is not the be-all/end-all of existence and most people have a variety of interests and needs. If there is something else you would rather be doing then you should do it and not feel bad about not making it to the gym every other day. I have taken a couple of sabbaticals from the iron in my life, and everytime I come back in a few months wanting to do better. Also, if you're worried about size maintenance or losing definition, just keep the diet in check (adequate protein, don't eat fast food everyday, etc.) you should be fine. Plus muscle-memory is fun, you won't believe how well your body can respond to weight training when you get back in to it.
The majority of the things that have been happening should not have affected my drive to lift.

I have been drinking a LOT for the past few months. Being somewhat of a shut in the majority of my life I enjoyed having people bug me to come party but my reputation is the dude who lifts but drinks so don't screw with him. If I stop lifting I am no longer that person. I can't be just another scrawny dude at a party; I like being the lifter. The problem is getting into the gym has been harder previously than ever before.

Plus, I started lifting in high school. It's the only thing, through school and friends and girlfriends and beer that has been constant through these years, and if I lose my drive now, it makes me wonder what else I will stop after 5 or 7 years of doing.

I've been consistent since the time I started this thread. Got my eating in check, and cut back drinking (but still sadly smoke). It's felt good to get back, and I just need to put how far I have fallen behind me and live for the next workout rather than trying to be how strong I used to be. Best my previous workout rather than the workout I had 3 years ago when my working bench reps were over 300.

Thanks everyone for posting here. Forums are a good majority of the reason I have stuck with lifting this far, and once again they prove why I have stuck with them.

Thanks, and cheers
:cheers:

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well you can always wait until your smaller with a beer gut,... THAT WILL get you motivated again lol (knowing from expirence)

Sometimes you just cant fake it unfortunately. One long break in 7 years isn't that bad.
Your here, asking for help, I assume the motivation you seek is around the corner anyways

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I don't often find myself in this situation but it seems like if I ever do I notice my body changing as in getting fatter or looking smaller which motivates me to get my a$$ back in the gym and also sometimes its the perfect time to try out a new supplement. A lot of times a new supplement whether really effective or not will be very mental and cause you to think its doing a lot.(which gets you motivated)

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't often find myself in this situation but it seems like if I ever do I notice my body changing as in getting fatter or looking smaller which motivates me to get my a$$ back in the gym and also sometimes its the perfect time to try out a new supplement. A lot of times a new supplement whether really effective or not will be very mental and cause you to think its doing a lot.(which gets you motivated)
Damn straight! ...Nothing like a sweet stack and some $$ spent to get ya motivated when there is no motivation to be found :cheers:

jim623

I find it hard to get back in after time off, 3 weeks or more. It usually takes me a month or so to get back into it hard. Just keep pushing, it'll come back.

protempsfish

Awards
The majority of the things that have been happening should not have affected my drive to lift.

I have been drinking a LOT for the past few months. Being somewhat of a shut in the majority of my life I enjoyed having people bug me to come party but my reputation is the dude who lifts but drinks so don't screw with him. If I stop lifting I am no longer that person. I can't be just another scrawny dude at a party; I like being the lifter. The problem is getting into the gym has been harder previously than ever before.

Plus, I started lifting in high school. It's the only thing, through school and friends and girlfriends and beer that has been constant through these years, and if I lose my drive now, it makes me wonder what else I will stop after 5 or 7 years of doing.

I've been consistent since the time I started this thread. Got my eating in check, and cut back drinking (but still sadly smoke). It's felt good to get back, and I just need to put how far I have fallen behind me and live for the next workout rather than trying to be how strong I used to be. Best my previous workout rather than the workout I had 3 years ago when my working bench reps were over 300.

Thanks everyone for posting here. Forums are a good majority of the reason I have stuck with lifting this far, and once again they prove why I have stuck with them.

Thanks, and cheers
:cheers:
Well we all go through the stage when we try to live up to our reputation. It is all part of growing up. You mentioned that you didnt want to be the scrawny guy at the party so that in itself can be a motivator. I am personally at a different stage then you and much older and can honestly say that I have walked in your shoes. If your friends are pushing you to party and yet know that you enjoy lifting and getting excercise it sounds as though they arent very supportive of your positive outside interests. I love the ale (and was a former smoker) but have found friends that wouldnt ever pressure me to choose beer over lifting and in fact help me keep motivated. Reputations can be a hard thing to live up to. You need to figure out what your priorities are. Good luck my man as it can be a difficult time. No one can give you the 'right answer' as to how to keep motivated but you sound like a smart guy and hopefully you will find your drive.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
go look in the mirror and if u look a like a scrawny or fat bitch then that should be enough

JKBB44

Awards
If i'm rut i will buy a new supplement outside of my staple supps knowing that it will not do anything for me im not in the gym.

orangerain

Awards
I work out to lose weight. I usually buy myself a new pair of jeans that is one size smaller. :D It usually makes me go back to my routine.

Jaidmaster

Jaidmaster

Awards
Man, this happens to me every year! Take a 3 week vacation, and then it's tought to get back into the routine. Once I force myself to so SOME type of workout for a few weeks, on a regular schedule, it's easy again. It's just the getting started part that's tough. Once I see how much strength I've lost, it's my goal to get back where I was, and that's usually enough to keep me going until it's routine again. Just tell yourself you're just going to do a few warmup sets to prime your muscles. Chances are, you won't stop there!
And +1 on the muscle memory!
Good luck!

jumpcannon

jumpcannon

Awards
Do what i did....i split up with my girlfriend and have motivation to get my pump back on. Cause a single man is more in his prime! I feel like a big safari hunter....getting my flex on and bagging some hoes! Ha ha

nheir

Awards
hey,

when I start to lose motivation, I turn to 2 movies: Pumping Iron and 300

I find both get me pumped to lift again

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting for a good chunk of time now. Probably around 7 years or so, and just recently having graduated and what not I am finding it hard to lift. I've been working out rather sporadically for the past 6 months, not able to get back on a normal routine, and when I do lift, not happy with my performance. It's been a struggle to get myself into the gym because I know how far I've fallen.

I've tried going in and just ignoring the weight I do, knowing that it's not important the amount I lift weight wise but instead the effort, and still it is harder than it was to motivate myself.

I've already taken a break just to chill with friends and drink for a month or so, and I'm still lacking motivation.

So what do you all do when your drive to lift is lacking? I still love lifting and I can't see myself as someone who just stops lifting and shrinks back to a newbie size (although through the past 6 months I still have some size after drinking and lifting sparingly; I think my normal homeostasis is still to hold some size) but I am lacking motivation. So what helps ya'll when you're down?
get some gear, start a log, ppl on here will help push u to get motivated and seek results, souround your self with motivated ppl it will rub off on you. you dnt have t get gear but it make u have more drive and more aggression