Ab cramping

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
Everything an ab workout just as little as 1 set of 25 crunches my abs tend to cramp up severely when i attempt my second set, roll up to stand, or as crazy as me getting in my car. i drink lots of water and even stretch my abdominals before and after the workout.... anyone have any information?

for the record i am not taking any supps other than a multivitamin, bcaas, and protein

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
A few common theories as to why cramps occur are: dehydration, fluid/electrolyte balance, biomechanical inefficiency. Hope this may help.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem occasionally. The first thing to try is simply drinking more fluids consistently. I know you said you are drinking lots of water, but try drinking more fluids everyday for a while and see if you still have that problem. If that doesn't work, you can try some fluids with more electrolytes like gatorade or pedialyte. Also, if you are doing ab work near the end of your workout, try drinking more fluid before and during your workouts. I sweat alot and can cramp up at the end of training sessions if I don't drink enough during the session, even if I came if well hydrated.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
the worst is when you cramp up and it goes away long enough to leave the gym, then you get in the car and its like :crying:

cassimus

cassimus

Awards
yea i drive a low car and getting into it sucks major.....i sweat alot and i like to think of my heart rate is pretty intense since my 45min workouts account for mosts ppls 1.5 hr workouts plus i sweat like crazy anyways...ill try the electrolyte thing

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I had the same exact issue. I could feel it coming on and stop the set short.

This started happening after lack of any direct ab work for couple years. Now that I've been hitting the abs like I should, I don't have this problem.

Keep at it.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
yea i drive a low car and getting into it sucks major.....i sweat alot and i like to think of my heart rate is pretty intense since my 45min workouts account for mosts ppls 1.5 hr workouts plus i sweat like crazy anyways...ill try the electrolyte thing
If you sweat a lot you are losing an abundance of electrolytes. Sweat, typically speaking, is mostly plasma (consisting of electrolytes-Na+, K+, etc.). So, I believe you are on the right track and hopefully the electrolytes work out for you.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i use to have this exact same problem here are some reasons.

1. Your getting those cramps you get from not eating becuase you havent ate close enough to your workout.

2. Your not drinking enough water, you said you are but you arent.

3. Drink more water during your workout.

4. Your just starting to do abs.

5.Your not conditioned enough to lift,run,do abs or vice versa

6. pre workout makes u real dehydrated you have to drink a ton between workouts

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i get the same cramp

usually lower abs only on one side,

feels likje a charlie horse,

pretty weird/cool feeling because i know its coming but sucks , stretching after helps and i definetly drink enough water and get enough electrolytes,

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
I had the same exact issue. I could feel it coming on and stop the set short.

This started happening after lack of any direct ab work for couple years. Now that I've been hitting the abs like I should, I don't have this problem.

Keep at it.
I'm in the same boat! I think about doing abs, and my abs cramp! lol But I also attribute it to non direct abs work for a couple of years. I used to be able to do abs non stop for days.

hamr9

Awards
just keep doing the abs it will go away i have had the same thing happen to me and can be best described as a charley horse in the abs, and its not fun. after a while it just stops happening the more you do direct ab work.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same boat! I think about doing abs, and my abs cramp! lol But I also attribute it to non direct abs work for a couple of years. I used to be able to do abs non stop for days.
just keep doing the abs it will go away i have had the same thing happen to me and can be best described as a charley horse in the abs, and its not fun. after a while it just stops happening the more you do direct ab work.
Exactly! :thumbsup:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do abs 3-4x a week and still get them. Has to do with mind muscle connection I feel. If I'm lazy and do them nothing but when I concentrate it cramps

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
i get the ab cramps every so often...it is always when i'm slightly dehydrated. as soon as i take in a good 20 oz water or so, cramps are gone as soon as suddenly as they came on. some extra pottassium wouldn't hurt either...

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
I used to get real bad cramps in my calves during leg workouts, I started to take pottasium and no more cramps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trufitnessman2022 Anabolics 9
Trufitnessman2022 Anabolics 15
Codybenz Anabolics 38
Supplements 5
Anabolics 11