Can anyone not do back extensions on the chair?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I used to be able to do back extensions well on the chair but can't no longer. It just brings too much pain. I pushed it yesterday cause I haven't done them in awhile and ended up having severe lower back pain. It felt like my whole lower back cramped. I couldn't even run the pain was so severe. I haven't been able to get much more then 15 reps at a time and been trying this for months. Looks like I'll just have to give it up cause it's not helping. Deads and different type of core work seems to do fine.. just wondering if it's not in your routine and if you believe it's not necessary.

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
Try good mornings if that exercise feels awkward for your back, definately stop if it's hurting, you don't wanna screw up your back man, that's the last thing I'd want, It literally cripples all your workouts.... here's a link to show you how to do it

youtube.com/watch?v=bUpOZnhS4FI

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
yea.. I'm familiar with the good morning but it's very awkward to me. I have trouble putting a bar behind my neck. I can't even do barbell squats.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up whats so hard about putting a bar behind your neck? I just set it on my traps and it doesnt hurt at all. I never actually have the bar on my neck

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you're having problems with back extensions, trying out good mornings is going to wreck your back IMO. That's a more advanced move and I don't recommend trying it if you have back issues.

Do you have pain with your first 2 or 3 back extensions? I'm wondering if you just overdid it since you gave the impression that you haven't done them in a while :think:

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried glute bridges (I think that's what they are called)? You lay on your back and push your pelvis in the air.

You may have issues with glute activation. The glutes should fire during back extensions, and your back should remain static.

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
I have had bad back pain over the past 6 years. Some days in the gym it has gotten so bad I can't move a single weight. When I did it last time I took 2 weeks off and got back in the gym, it was better. If you have been experiencing pain (especially shooting pain) in your back during extensions... STOP doing them for the forseeable your future. I know instinct tells you to fight through the pain but think long term and stop. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor it can make a world of difference.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
If you're having problems with back extensions, trying out good mornings is going to wreck your back IMO. That's a more advanced move and I don't recommend trying it if you have back issues.

Do you have pain with your first 2 or 3 back extensions? I'm wondering if you just overdid it since you gave the impression that you haven't done them in a while :think:
No.. the first couple reps are fine.. it's always when I get up past 10 reps it seems I can't gain strength and then it just goes to pain. Not your typical burn. It feels the same every time I do them. I took a 2-3 week break from them just to see if it would change but it didn't. I do other lower back exercises such as bridges, planks raising and lowering body, med ball roll outs, deads, SLDL's and back is good on all them. You'd think doing all the other work would help me out with the extensions but it hasn't.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried glute bridges (I think that's what they are called)? You lay on your back and push your pelvis in the air.

You may have issues with glute activation. The glutes should fire during back extensions, and your back should remain static.

Yes I have. I do them for warmups. The glutes do fire as well as the hams. It seems pretty balanced until the pain kicks in.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I know instinct tells you to fight through the pain but think long term and stop..
Yes.. that's the problem. The male ego kicks in and you think fight through it. Usually I control it but this time I happend to give in. It's definetly more pain then "burn" feeling.

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
Try Reverse Hypers......They work wonders on the lower back..

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Are you hyperextending your back at the top of the movement? It seems unlikely you have a lower back injury if you can do DL and SLDL without any pain. Do you have really tight hamstrings or hips? Those are the only things I can think of that would cause problems with just that movement.
Reverse hypers would likely help alot.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
No.. I don't hyperextend. I go till i'm leveled out. I don't even hold it. The hams and glutes aren't hindering my movement. I've felt that before but I keep them loose. I have no reverse hyper extension machine at my gym. I've actually never seen one in a gym. Got any tips on how I could do em without a machine?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No.. I don't hyperextend. I go till i'm leveled out. I don't even hold it. The hams and glutes aren't hindering my movement. I've felt that before but I keep them loose. I have no hyper extension machine at my gym. I've actually never seen one in a gym. Got any tips on how I could do em without a machine?
I believe someone above suggested reverse hyperextensions. You can do those on a physioball. Look into it on youtube and/or run some google searches.

You can experiment, but follow this rule when pertaining to an injury:
if it increases pain (true sharp pain, not some mild pulling), then it's counterproductive.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I believe someone above suggested reverse hyperextensions. You can do those on a physioball. Look into it on youtube and/or run some google searches.

You can experiment, but follow this rule when pertaining to an injury:
if it increases pain (true sharp pain, not some mild pulling), then it's counterproductive.
I ment reverse hyperextension machine.. I edited it. I almost wonder if it aggrivated a disc at one time but the pain doesn't last if I don't aggrivate the area.