Idea for new workout routine. What do you think?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Since no one posted anything on my other thread and I don't know if they will. Instead of working out 6 days a week I was thinking about switching to 4 days a week. I was thinking of changing my workout routine to this

Monday and Thursday:
wrist Curls
forearm wrist Curls
Hammer Curls
Curls
Flys
Military press
one arm row
benchpress
Triceps Extensions
db upright row
db shrugs

Tuesday:
Front Squat or Squat
DB Oblique Side Bends
Reverse Crunches
Overhead Abdominal Crunches
Calf Raises
Reverse Calf Raises
Good Mornings

Saturday:
Deadlift
DB Oblique Side Bends
Reverse Crunches
Overhead Abdominal Crunches
Calf Raises
Reverse Calf Raises
Good Mornings

What I am used to now is working 6 days a week doing my upper body 3 days and lower body 3 days and doing squats and deads on the same day. It usually takes 2-4 weeks for me to bump up weight on my exercises. I was wondering will it take me longer to bump up weight if I workout 4 days a week, or will it take less time since my muscles will have more time to recover. In other words, if I do this routine how often would you recommend I bump up the weight for my exercises? I'll be doing squats once a week and deads once a week. I might alternate every other week between squats and front sqauts or just do front squats. Also I'm used to doing 3x10 for all exercises.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
I will tell you what I tell others when they come up with a non-standard routine....if you keep your intensity at a high level, you can do anything in the gym (within reason of course) and get decent results. Add to that proper diet and cardio and you'll see even better results.

I am curious, though...why the non-conventional type of routine? Are you working around something like an injury?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I will tell you what I tell others when they come up with a non-standard routine....if you keep your intensity at a high level, you can do anything in the gym (within reason of course) and get decent results. Add to that proper diet and cardio and you'll see even better results.

I am curious, though...why the non-conventional type of routine? Are you working around something like an injury?
No I just wanted to do exercises that target as muscle groups, that is why I am doing so many isolation exercises. Doing what I was doing I was getting pains a lot and having sore legs. Mainly my quads were getting sore. My arms, chest, shoulders and back seem to be able to take alot more than my legs. No one ever taught me any routines. I sort of just picked my own exercises to do. I was thinking if I switch to this new routine that I'd try bumping the weight up for all my exercises except for squats and deadlifts after 3-4 weeks and bump the weight up for the squats and deadlifts after 4-5 weeks.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I'd say your volume is excessive and you won't gain much mass. I can't see any good way to do your monday workout and still have gas in the tank to really hit the last exercise with intensity.

You said you USED to do 3x10s. Now?
How many sets per exercise?
What rep ranges?

I know if I've benched within 2-4 days my military press or standing press suffers. I personally won't consider doing them the same day if my goal is to build mass.

You might want to state your goal before posting a partial routine.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'd say your volume is excessive and you won't gain much mass. I can't see any good way to do your monday workout and still have gas in the tank to really hit the last exercise with intensity.

You said you USED to do 3x10s. Now?
How many sets per exercise?
What rep ranges?

I know if I've benched within 2-4 days my military press or standing press suffers. I personally won't consider doing them the same day if my goal is to build mass.

You might want to state your goal before posting a partial routine.
Well I am doing 3 sets of 10. My goal is to build mass and develop pretty much all muscle groups. If you have a routine, that you think might work for me to Accomplish that please tell me. Also, if I change to another routine I need to know when to add weight. The equipment I have is a bench press with a squat rack(bench and rack are two separate pieces), two olympic dumbbell handles, an olympic bar, two 45lb plates, two 25lb plates, two 35lb plates, two 10lb plates, four 5lb plates, four 2.5lb plates. I do know I could do stiff leg deadlifts instead of deadlifts and cut out good mornings. I was also thinking about also trying to do something like this also:
Monday
Arms:
wrist Curls
forearm wrist Curls
Hammer Curls
Curls
Triceps Extensions

Tuesday
Legs:
stiff leg deadlift or Front squat
calf raises
Reverse Calf Raises
Oblique Side Bends

Wednesday
Chest:
Flys
benchpress

Saturday
Shoulders & Lats:
Military press
one arm row
db upright row
db shrugs

I was thinking about alternating every other week between front squats and deadlifts, but I'm still not sure when do add weight if I do this routine.
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I am still learning much and I appreciate everyone's input.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
You add weight when you can handle the weight you are currently lifting. If you are on a 3x10 program the when you get all 30 reps with good form add 5-10% more weight. As long as you get more than 24 reps you are solid. Keep going until you get 30 and then repeat.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You add weight when you can handle the weight you are currently lifting. If you are on a 3x10 program the when you get all 30 reps with good form add 5-10% more weight. As long as you get more than 24 reps you are solid. Keep going until you get 30 and then repeat.
OK sounds good. Does that routine above look good?

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
DAY1 - Back and Bis

Deadlift (3 sets)
Bent over row or DB rows (2 sets)
Pullup or chinup (2 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)

DAY2 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)

DAY3 - Legs

Squats (3 sets)
SLDL (3 sets)
walking lunges (to pain, 2 sets)
calf raises (2 sets, high reps)

DAY4 - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)
DB flyes ss DB press (2 sets)
Close grip bench press (2 sets)
overhead BB extension (1 sets)

For the main exercises keep between 6 and 8 reps per set. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
For the secondaries (2 sets) keep between 8 and 12 reps. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
For the single sets just burn out around 20. Use rest pause if you need to.

Keep the form strict. 2 seconds concentric, 2 seconds eccentric.

Insert rest days as needed. I'd do Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
DAY1 - Back and Bis

Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)

DAY2 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)

DAY3 - Legs

Squats (3 sets)
SLDL (3 sets)

DAY4 - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)

For the main exercises keep between 6 and 8 reps per set. When you get 24 total then up the weight.
For the secondaries (2 sets) keep between 8 and 12 reps. When you get 24 total then up the weight.

What about the ab exercises? Also, I wanted to do front squats so I can workout my core. Maybe do them instead of regular squats. I can not do chin ups or pull ups because I don't have the equipment and can't drive to a gym yet. When you say dumbbell fly db bench press, do you mean either or, or both? Also what do you mean by 2 seconds concentric, 2 seconds eccentric and could I still do wrist and reverse wrist curls to work on m wrist flexors and extensors or would you leave those out?

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
What about the ab exercises?
Do them if you need them. They can handle high volume if you aren't using too much weight. But you should be getting some work on them doing the deads, squats, rows and pressing.

Also, I wanted to do front squats so I can workout my core. Maybe do them instead of regular squats.
I personally don't feel extra core involvement from fronts. Its more about shifting the focus to the quads. But I alternate front and back every other week.

I can not do chin ups or pull ups because I don't have the equipment and can't drive to a gym yet.
Don't you have a squat rack? Either set the safety bars at the top and down them with bent knees or grab the top cross bar. Gotta be creative.

When you say dumbbell fly db bench press, do you mean either or, or both?
super set them. Do one set of flyes and then immediately do one set of presses.

Also what do you mean by 2 seconds concentric, 2 seconds eccentric
Take 2 seconds to lift the weight, barely pause, 2 seconds to lower it, barely pause and repeat.

and could I still do wrist and reverse wrist curls to work on m wrist flexors and extensors or would you leave those out?
You can. If you aren't using straps then you should be getting good wrist work on the deads and shrugs. If you feel you need more add one set after back and one after shoulders.

You can't grow without rest and recovery. Try not to overtrain.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
When you say one set of flys and then one set of db presses, you mean 8-12 reps for each set right? Also thank you a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
DAY1 - Back and Bis

Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)

DAY2 - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)

DAY3 - Legs

Squats (3 sets)
SLDL (3 sets)

DAY4 - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)

whoa... let me get this straight, you are suggesting hi do shrugs the day after deadlifts? WHY? Your traps get what should be their heaviest load with deads, and you wanna work them again the next day? Makes no sense to me. Bad. Maybe shrugs after deads on the same day. Maybe 3 or 4 days later since they aren't worked in the same manner, that is deads they are part of the movement, not the only movement, and you don't shrug your shoulders to your ears, but they still get a massive contraction holding the weight p lus they help at the lockout. The part about moving up when you complete all reps is good, continual progression, however there will come a time when that progression slows or stops. Then you battle for every gain, winning and losing. I do like how you spaced the workouts further apart. your moving in the right direction, I remember in another thread I told ya I thought you were way overtraining. That said, it means yes you will get more strength gains from way more rest than the program you have been doing. IMHO.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
whoa... let me get this straight, you are suggesting hi do shrugs the day after deadlifts? WHY? Your traps get what should be their heaviest load with deads, and you wanna work them again the next day? Makes no sense to me. Bad. Maybe shrugs after deads on the same day. Maybe 3 or 4 days later since they aren't worked in the same manner, that is deads they are part of the movement, not the only movement, and you don't shrug your shoulders to your ears, but they still get a massive contraction holding the weight p lus they help at the lockout. The part about moving up when you complete all reps is good, continual progression, however there will come a time when that progression slows or stops. Then you battle for every gain, winning and losing. I do like how you spaced the workouts further apart. your moving in the right direction, I remember in another thread I told ya I thought you were way overtraining. That said, it means yes you will get more strength gains from way more rest than the program you have been doing. IMHO.
Hmm well what about switching the shoulder and chest day? back with deads ond Monday, chest and tris on Tuesday, legs Thursday and shoulders with traps Friday. Of course that leaves two days untill deads again though. Or Like you said I'd work on them the shrugs the same day.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I'd do a program like this over 8-10 days but he seems to want to go more frequently. But I like to rest and recover.

Also, his max weight is pretty low due to the lack of equipment - under 300lbs. He won't be able to kill his traps comepletely with either exercise unless he adds more eccentric time.

----

Swap the order anyway you want. Add in 2-3 rest days between workouts if you need it - over time. I take extra rest any time I don't make solid gains in the gym.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'd do a program like this over 8-10 days but he seems to want to go more frequently. But I like to rest and recover.

Also, his max weight is pretty low due to the lack of equipment - under 300lbs. He won't be able to kill his traps comepletely with either exercise unless he adds more eccentric time.

----

Swap the order anyway you want. Add in 2-3 rest days between workouts if you need it - over time. I take extra rest any time I don't make solid gains in the gym.
Still hav't answered my question about the super set flys and db press. Didyou mean 1 set each at 8-12 reps or 1 set each till 20 reps? Also on the single sets, do you mean when I get up to 20 reps with the single sets to up the weight? The ab exercises I was talking about doing are Reverse Crunches, overhead abdominal crunches and lying oblique leg raises. I'm not sure I would need to spread those out though, or what days to do them on.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
He means to superset it. Such as do a set of flys and soon as you can't squeeze out another rep, go immediately to dumbell presses and finish it off. Rinse and repeat. Thats what it looks like he's saying to me. Do that twice. As far as the shrugs, I do my upper back and traps on the same day. Deadlift is about 4 days before or after, however you look at it, and I'm always healed.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
He means to superset it. Such as do a set of flys and soon as you can't squeeze out another rep, go immediately to dumbell presses and finish it off. Rinse and repeat. Thats what it looks like he's saying to me. Do that twice. As far as the shrugs, I do my upper back and traps on the same day. Deadlift is about 4 days before or after, however you look at it, and I'm always healed.
So do flys 8-12 reps then db press 8-12 then repeat once more, then add weight when I can get all the reps in? I assume thats what you mean. Anyway this is how I have it setup so far in my text log
Monday - Back and Bis

Deadlift (3 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

Tuesday - Chest and Tris

Bench (3sets)

Thursday - Shoulders

Military Press (3 sets)
BB Shrugs (3 sets)
Upright row (2 sets)
Lateral Raise (1 set)
DB Shrugs (2 sets)
Reverse DB Wrist Curl (1 set)

Friday - Legs back

Front Squat (3 sets)
Squats (3 sets)
SLDL (3 sets)
walking lunges (2 sets)
calf raises (2 sets)

I'm just curious why he said bb shrugs and db shrugs.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Still hav't answered my question about the super set flys and db press.Didyou mean 1 set each at 8-12 reps or 1 set each till 20 reps?
Quote:Originally Posted by DerickVonD
When you say dumbbell fly db bench press, do you mean either or, or both?

super set them. Do one set of flyes and then immediately do one set of presses.
As I said above:
Do one set of flyes and reach failure between 8 and 12 reps then immediately do presses until failure using the same dumbbells. Its a super set so flyes + presses = one set. Rest 2-3 min and then do it again. Once you can do more than 40 total reps I'd up the weight.

Also on the single sets, do you mean when I get up to 20 reps with the single sets to up the weight?
Pick a weight that you can do between 18 and 22 resp with it. When you can do 25 up the weight.

The ab exercises I was talking about doing are Reverse Crunches, overhead abdominal crunches and lying oblique leg raises. I'm not sure I would need to spread those out though, or what days to do them on.
I do ab work anyday I feel like it. Sometimes its 4-5 times a week and sometimes I take the week off.

Your abs can handle a lot of volume so experiment.

I'm just curious why he said bb shrugs and db shrugs.
The work the muscle differently because of the different grip - bar is either over-under or double over hand (pronated) and the DB will use a neutral grip (palms facing eachother.)

If you want to split it up like that I'd move Shoulders to friday and legs to thursday. You have to decide if you want your shrugs or squats/deads to be weaker. I think squats and deads are more important so I'd prioritize them that way. Traps are great muscles to build but not nearly as important as the posterior chain.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
OK. Thank you. I look forward to trying this new routine

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Read the crappy e-book from sciavation "Bulking for (whatever your body type". There is 2-3 workouts that will hit everything you need to hit and are more better. They are extra better if you are new to lifting. All that business you posted above is wasting your time.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
MORE EXTRA BETTER!!!

Read the crappy e-book from sciavation "Bulking for (whatever your body type". There is 2-3 workouts that will hit everything you need to hit and are more better. They are extra better if you are new to lifting. All that business you posted above is wasting your time.
Yea man, its a crappy book that hits everything, yo momma, yo daddy and yo sista!!!! Plus its MORE BETTER!!! Even EXTRA BETTER if you are just starting out!!! So put it together MORE EXTRA BETTER must mean its Wonderful or is that MORE WONDERFUL or MO EXTRA BETTER WONDERFUL IDK??? So quit wasting your time and get some damn MORE EXTRA BETTER!!!:18::18::18::18::lol5::lol5::lol5:

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Yea man, its a crappy book that hits everything, yo momma, yo daddy and yo sista!!!! Plus its MORE BETTER!!! Even EXTRA BETTER if you are just starting out!!! So put it together MORE EXTRA BETTER must mean its Wonderful or is that MORE WONDERFUL or MO EXTRA BETTER WONDERFUL IDK??? So quit wasting your time and get some damn MORE EXTRA BETTER!!!:18::18::18::18::lol5::lol5::lol5:
Are you suggesting I change "more better"to "mo' better"? :laugh2:

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
No lol. I'm making fun of your whole statement man. mo better and more better, yea those are not in any way, correctly put together sentences. I should say, I'm making fun of your grammar. More better and extra better sounds silly and are not proper. It would be something like, "this is the better workout, and if you haven't been working out, it will make this workout even better." I downloaded the books you described. Sorry, I just can't appreciate someone who cannot speak trying to tell the rest of us that our workout ideas suck. I have a world championship, national and a ****load of state championships backing me up. As well as having set world, state and national records. Broken now, but I still set them, and they stood for almost 10 years. I'm 31 and have been in the game, for 20 years. Yea, I started at 11. At 14 I started training with Olympic GOLD Medalist Kim Brownfield, Dan Chaffin, and Ron Hood to name a few. Not to mention was a personal trainer for several years, teaching noobs that owned hotels and other business's. So yea I took what you said as a attack on my credibility. Post some pic's or what's your credentials??? Where is your proof that those workouts are worth a damn? Is it because they say they are good? I disagreed with some of what was above, but I also agreed on alot. I also stated what I felt was wrong and said why. My read through sounds to me that Tempus and I have a pretty good idea of wtf is going on. So yea, I wasted my time writing all this, but oh well. Just saying, if your going to call what we say,"a waste of time" then you need to back it up. Not just spit out some workout from a site. We actually put thought into our answers, pulling from personal experiences, knowledge that people can't just read in a damn book. Hey though, have a great evening!!!

Last edited:

dave12

Awards
  • Established
No lol. I'm making fun of your whole statement man. mo better and more better, yea those are not in any way, correctly put together sentences. I should say, I'm making fun of your grammar. More better and extra better sounds silly and are not proper. It would be something like, "this is the better workout, and if you haven't been working out, it will make this workout even better." I downloaded the books you described. Sorry, I just can't appreciate someone who cannot speak trying to tell the rest of us that our workout ideas suck. I have a world championship, national and a ****load of state championships backing me up. As well as having set world, state and national records. Broken now, but I still set them, and they stood for almost 10 years. I'm 31 and have been in the game, for 20 years. Yea, I started at 11. At 14 I started training with Olympic GOLD Medalist Kim Brownfield, Dan Chaffin, and Ron Hood to name a few. Not to mention was a personal trainer for several years, teaching noobs that owned hotels and other business's. So yea I took what you said as a attack on my credibility. Post some pic's or what's your credentials??? Where is your proof that those workouts are worth a damn? Is it because they say they are good? I disagreed with some of what was above, but I also agreed on alot. I also stated what I felt was wrong and said why. My read through sounds to me that Tempus and I have a pretty good idea of wtf is going on. So yea, I wasted my time writing all this, but oh well. Just saying, if your going to call what we say,"a waste of time" then you need to back it up. Not just spit out some workout from a site. We actually put thought into our answers, pulling from personal experiences, knowledge that people can't just read in a damn book. Hey though, have a great evening!!!
You sir mistake me for an outrawebs tough guy. I have no idea what you suggested. I didn't read it and I certainly didn't impune it. My statement that OP was wasting his time was based entirely on his list of isolation exercises. My suggestion he follow the plans in the sciavation ebooks is because they are great for beginners. IMHO as an intro to lifting learning proper form on squats, deads, bench, OH press and bent row are far more important then working rear delts. Which is what is focused on in the book. I still use Workout #2 from Bulking for Fat Guys every few months. I know I would have benefited from something like that rotated with a 5x5 every 6-8 weeks back when I first started lifting. It is simple and, I think, a nice step towards building a solid foundation. I may have been watching "Idiocracy" a little bit too much and it has affected my intrawebs grammatical compostion, but the sciavation Xtend bookfomercial has 2 solid parts. The nutrition and workout.
(My credentials are a Bach of Bus - Accounting from Case Western. Also, I played Varsity Division I football as a freshman. Both of which are totally relevant as I am sure you would agree.)

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where business accounting comes into play at the gym, but ok. Delighted you decided to drop the bad wording. lol. Playing football for a year as a freshman just means you were athletic. I have met plenty of both, players that didn't have a clue and just did their program, and the ones who really knew what was going on. I'm sure your accounting degree has helped you put on 30 pounds of lean ripped flesh thou. Why did you only play as a freshman? So no I can't agree the degree has helped you learn the iron game, and I'd say your year of football is not a very extensive array of gym knowledge. What have you done since then? In shape?

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where business accounting comes into play at the gym, but ok. Delighted you decided to drop the bad wording. lol. Playing football for a year as a freshman just means you were athletic. I have met plenty of both, players that didn't have a clue and just did their program, and the ones who really knew what was going on. I'm sure your accounting degree has helped you put on 30 pounds of lean ripped flesh thou. Why did you only play as a freshman? So no I can't agree the degree has helped you learn the iron game, and I'd say your year of football is not a very extensive array of gym knowledge.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where business accounting comes into play at the gym, but ok. Delighted you decided to drop the bad wording. lol. Playing football for a year as a freshman just means you were athletic. I have met plenty of both, players that didn't have a clue and just did their program, and the ones who really knew what was going on. I'm sure your accounting degree has helped you put on 30 pounds of lean ripped flesh thou. Why did you only play as a freshman? So no I can't agree the degree has helped you learn the iron game, and I'd say your year of football is not a very extensive array of gym knowledge.
I only threw in the football part because I was the only one in the program all four years I was there that made varsity as a freshman. I am somewhat proud of that. You've checked out the program I suggested Derrick have a look at and found it lacking? I've read what you posted and they don't really seem far off. Heavy reliance on compounds and form over volume.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
no i am going to. I am a crane operator and its been hecktic. Home evrynight but alot of hours. Still hitting the steel thou, I workout at home just like Derick, I got sick of gym hours, people wanting to work in that are a tenth your strength and waiting on equipment. I'd be proud of that achievement as well. That might be a perfectly good workout, it just felt like you was shooting down what we had said, and I didn't like it. Thats all. Hadta fire back. Thts cool thou. I had a scholarship offer my freshman year to a small school called Austin college in sherman texas. I declined because I was so into powerlifting, lol and they hadta maintain a b average. I wanted to party.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
no i am going to. I am a crane operator and its been hecktic. Home evrynight but alot of hours. Still hitting the steel thou, I workout at home just like Derick, I got sick of gym hours, people wanting to work in that are a tenth your strength and waiting on equipment. I'd be proud of that achievement as well. That might be a perfectly good workout, it just felt like you was shooting down what we had said, and I didn't like it. Thats all. Hadta fire back. Thts cool thou. I had a scholarship offer my freshman year to a small school called Austin college in sherman texas. I declined because I was so into powerlifting, lol and they hadta maintain a b average. I wanted to party.
Actually my name is Shawn. DerickVonD is more of a handle, that I no longer even use lol. I'd change my username if I could, but I suppose it's too late now. I love working out at home, because I can play my heavy metal music. Nothing like benching to Judas Priest "Breaking the law, breaking the law".

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
yea shawn ik ik. i already read that n ur profile lol. n yea, i like ta jam to what i want too. not some gay ****. and im on a cell driving so ik spelling and shorthand lol.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
When are you planning on starting your new program?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I do see a problem with walking lunges though. Do to the limited space I have in my room after about 2 or 3 reps, I'll have to turn around. I won't be able to go straight for long. Could I substitute them with regular lunges? When I squat, I have a little over the amount I need to squat down after I move my bench. I should have enough room to lunge in the same space, but if I do working lunges, I'm going to have to walk back and forth. Also I'd hit my tv if I go too far out of the squat area unless I use db instead of the bb.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Maybe replace them with DB stepups.

Or just cut them out and do one set of 6 sec eccentric squats with a lower weight. Either way you'll fry your legs.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Maybe replace them with DB stepups.

Or just cut them out and do one set of 6 sec eccentric squats with a lower weight. Either way you'll fry your legs.
Do you me before I come back up to wait 6 seconds? Also, my friend said that if you don't do the overhead db extensions right you can hit a disc. He said something like that. I'm used to doing tricep extensions. Could I do either or, or does one work differently?

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Do you me before I come back up to wait 6 seconds? Also, my friend said that if you don't do the overhead db extensions right you can hit a disc. He said something like that. I'm used to doing tricep extensions. Could I do either or, or does one work differently?
6 seconds of eccentric time means you take 6 seconds to lower the weight from standing to full squat. Its a loooong time and your quads will hate you.

I do overhead DB extensions with over 100+ and I have no issues. Unless he means if you slam the weight into your neck then you'll have issues- and he's right. But skull crushers are the same story - slam it into your face and you are in trouble. Do the reps slowly and keep the weight light. Always be under control.

Yes, the work the tris slightly differently and I do all 3 main movements (skull crushers, overhead extensions and pushdowns) but you really only need one if you just want to gain base of mass.

After 8-12 weeks on this you need to change things up as you'll be adapting. Then I'd swap movements around.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Okay, well when the time comes I'll let you know and then we can talk about changing my routine again. Again thanks, you have helped me out alot.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well I tried the lateral raise with just my db handles which are 10lbs and was only able to do about 12 reps with proper form. I could take the cuffs off and that would take about half a pound off. I don't know if that will make much of a difference.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Does it matter if I do the overhead DB extension standing or seated. I could do it seated on the bench, but I don't have a chair with a back part that doesn't go all the way up to the bottom of my head. Also, does it matter if I do the lat raises in front of the thighs or at the sides?

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
The position of those exercises target different muscles, so yes, it matters.
x2

lateral raises - to the side
front raises - to the front

since your front delts get blasted by the overhead pressing, the medials need to some attention too.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Does it matter if I do the overhead DB extension standing or seated. I could do it seated on the bench, but I don't have a chair with a back part that doesn't go all the way up to the bottom of my head. Also, does it matter if I do the lat raises in front of the thighs or at the sides?
I usually do my overhead extensions standing. You can either do them one arm at a time or 2 handed. I'd recommend alternating every workout.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I didnt know id be so weak at chinups. It seems I can't really do pullups yet. I have to bend my knees to do them. The rack I have isn't really a power rack, it just goes up so you can do squats. In fact once I hit 300 on squats or the bench I'll have to sell my bench and get a real power rack or just goto the gym(which I'll hate).

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I woke up today my triceps were a little sore even though I didn't work them yesterday atleast not directly. I did the monday routine
DB rows (2 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
chinups
I didn't do deads yesterday, because my lower back was still slightly sore. Do you think the Also, I was thinking of changing the routine to this
Monday back and biceps
Wednesday Chest and Triceps
Friday Legs
Saturday Shoulders

This would be an easier schedule for me, because it would better fit into my college schedule.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I woke up today my triceps were a little sore even though I didn't work them yesterday atleast not directly. I did the monday routine
DB rows (2 sets)
BB curl (1 set)
Hammer curls (1 set)
chinups
I didn't do deads yesterday, because my lower back was still slightly sore.
Deads are the most important part of that whole workout. If you are too sore do to them then push the workout back a day. There is no sense in doing 4 arms sets and only 2 back sets.

Do you think the Also, I was thinking of changing the routine to this
Monday back and biceps
Wednesday Chest and Triceps
Friday Legs
Saturday Shoulders

This would be an easier schedule for me, because it would better fit into my college schedule.
Thats cool. The only thing that matters is getting enough rest between workouts. The actual day of the week doesn't matter. And you don't need to fit the whole thing in 7 days. Be creative.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
wow you weren't kidding when you said my quads would hate it. All muscles in my legs are sore. Also I notice on the routine I have there isn't reverse calf raises. I can only do reverse calf raises one leg at a time though if I were to do them, since I don't have a calf black.