bigger biceps

jmoney02

Awards
Anybody have any good exercises to put mass on the biceps. Also, is it true that heavy=mass , more reps=definition?

davez325

davez325

Awards
I keep my bis workout to two exercises. They indirectly get a beating already when u do back. My favs are standing heavy barbell curls, reverse-grip E-Z bar curls, standing dumbell hammer curls, and incline dumbell curls. I alternate those, sometimes supersetting, 21s, etc.

Claymore

Awards
I keep my bis workout to two exercises. They indirectly get a beating already when u do back. My favs are standing heavy barbell curls, reverse-grip E-Z bar curls, standing dumbell hammer curls, and incline dumbell curls. I alternate those, sometimes supersetting, 21s, etc.
I do this as well.
I do Close Grip Curls and Hammer Curls, 2 sets for each.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Muscles grow with stimulation (workout), refueling (food), and recovery. For me, I like using the Power, Rep Range, Shock Training system. This gives you all facets of a strong workout regimen.

As for exercises, I like
EZ bar Curl (I use the EZ bar b/c of my wrists)
DB Curl
Hammer Curls
Preacher Curl (machine, DBs and Barbells)
Cable Curl (like a Front Double Bicep--finishing movement)

That's pretty much it. If your using max intensity and pushing past your boundries and you ain't growin', you're doin' something wrong. lol

Good luck!

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
people are probably gonna shoot this down immediately but
when i first started working out i did burnouts as my sole bicep workout and my biceps blew up

Pain Eater

Awards
Biceps respond well to overload. Go heavy but keep your form good. I also recommend strip curls. Put a buncha 5's on each side and do as many reps as possible, then take a 5 off from each side and do as many as possible without rest, then take another 5 off and repeat until your down to the bar. Then do as many reps as possible with the bar, trust me the bar will feel reaaaally heavy by then.

Oh and it works better with a partner, to take the weights off.

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
My routine:

Seated Dumbell Curl 3 x 8
supersetted with:
Seated Hammer Curls 3 x 8
Preacher Dumbell Curls (bad wrists) 3x failure
Low Pulley Cable Curl w/ Straight Bar (heavy as possible) 3 x 6-8
High Pullies Overhead Bicep Curls 50lbs each arm to failure, 40 til fail, 30 til fail.

you will make some gains.

shortstop1616

Awards
Man... no joke. I measured my biceps in like April and they were about 17.5 inches... just measured them last week at 18.5. I have been using this bicep blowup routine workouts and they have this bicep blowup and the pump is unbelievable.

rammy222

rammy222

Awards
My routine:

Seated Dumbell Curl 3 x 8
supersetted with:
Seated Hammer Curls 3 x 8
Preacher Dumbell Curls (bad wrists) 3x failure
Low Pulley Cable Curl w/ Straight Bar (heavy as possible) 3 x 6-8
High Pullies Overhead Bicep Curls 50lbs each arm to failure, 40 til fail, 30 til fail.

you will make some gains.
theres your answer. Bis are being over trained...

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
theres your answer. Bis are being over trained...

That's my routine, not the OP's. I'm not overtraining I feel very little from that routine. The only time I feel any kind of long lasting burn/ fatigue is during preacher curls and my finishing move. My bis are extremely durable. However, if I took that many sets to failure/burnout on chest I would be dead for a week.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I am 6'3 255 right now and my arms measure just under 20 inches. Granted i am not incredibly lean, but i do no real arm work. I just stared doing some curls recently, but that is it. You need to lift heavy and concentrate on gaining weight all over and your arms will follow. Their really is no magic to the bicep, if you are doing heavy compound exercises and hitting them with a few hard sets a week you will be fine. Their really are no magic exercises, every is just a curl variation.

DipsRus

Awards
My 1st post!

First, my routine right now is chest/back, off, shoulders/arms, legs, off, repeat. (extra days off sometimes and/or back off workouts if needed.) At the end of my chest/back routine I do strict (assisted for now) chin-ups (palms facing me). These seem to make my bi's more sore than my whole bicep routine:

3 Sets of standing BB curls with an arm blaster.
3 Sets of DB curls, alternating between standard, concentration, and hammers. I think I'm going to go with hammers mostly for awhile, with maybe 1 set of standard or concentration at the end.

Anyways, I've only been training for 5 months, and am still making steady gains, but I know it's too early for me to tell if this will work long term for me. I got the urge to post after reading jcp2's comment on the compound exercises, and chin-ups I think are a great bicep exercise. (I start with pull-ups and concentrate mostly on the back, the chin-ups at the end are dual purpose for me.)

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I do biceps twice a week. Usually two exercises per workout, so four biceps exercises per week. And at that I usually only do 4-5 sets per workout.

Heavy barbell curls once per week and everything else is for definition. I get a lot of biceps work through heavy back work, so I don't think I need to go super heavy on curls all the time. The best thing is that this works for me! My biceps are a little more peaked than they used to be and they're way more define. A lot of it has to do with technique:

Workout 1 (Tuesday)
Barbell Curls 2 x 6-8
Incline DB Curls 2 x 8-10

Workout 2 (Thursday)
Incline DB Curls 2 x 8-10
Standing DB Preacher Curls or Concentration Curls or Cable Curls 2 x 8-10

... Or something like that. Anyway, some extra techniques you can employ if you don't already, is to supinate the wrist as far as possible at the top of the curl (pinky finger higher than thumb). Give it a squeeze and lower slowly. With curls, be as strict as possible. I see so many people loading up on weight and doing them ****ty, and it pays off just as crappy for them. Strict, slow on the negatives, squeeze your biceps at the top (don't let them go loose), get a full stretch at the bottom.

Also, after your sets, pronate and supinate (turn your wrist in both directions) a few times, then flex for like 10-15 seconds (one function of the biceps is to aid in wrist supination). After your biceps workout, do a series of contractions (flexing) and relaxation, and some stretches afterward. Flexing a lot helps bring out definition. I wouldn't have believed that a year or so ago, but it works for me.

Oh, and for the record, if you train your back right, your biceps will follow. Pullups, rows, and deadlifts especially.

jmoney02

Awards
At what point are you overtraining your bicep (or any muscle group for that matter)? I know it's different for everyone but how do you know you are overtraining? If there is no progress over a number of weeks, do you just assume you are overtraining and scale back? I know there is no magical formula, I'd just hate to be busting my rear end at the gym only to realize I did more harm than good.

UKStrength

At what point are you overtraining your bicep (or any muscle group for that matter)? I know it's different for everyone but how do you know you are overtraining? If there is no progress over a number of weeks, do you just assume you are overtraining and scale back? I know there is no magical formula, I'd just hate to be busting my rear end at the gym only to realize I did more harm than good.
I'd say if you're not making any size or strength progress then you're definitely overtraining.

If either of those are increasing then keep going.

DipsRus

Awards
Agree^^^ Also, if you know you're not really getting enough nutrition, sleep, or are just stressed out majorly that could also stop progress. I swear my last crappy workout was from being stressed out about several major things in my life right now, even though I did everything else right.

davez325

davez325

Awards
Bigger Triceps!!!

Don't forget your arms are like 2/3 triceps, so blast those tris for big arms!