neck strain on most exercises

1. neck strain on most exercises

I know I've talked about having neck strain in other threads, but figured I'd make this thread to just talk about my neck strain. Basically I can not seem to relax the muscles in my neck, no matter what I do. If I look forward I have strain, if I look slightly up I have strain, if I look slightly down I have strain. Is there any kind of stretches I can do to help me with this? It's like I have a ring of pressure from the back of the top of my neck to the bottom of my jaw. I have the strain while curling now.

2. Sounds like you're possibly clenching your jaw or not breathing right when you lift. Does the pressure or pain extend to the middle-back of your head? I had something similar a couple years ago, pain in my head/neck was so intense I couldn't lift a 15lb dumbell without grimacing. I would try stetching your neck a couple times daily, side to side, front to back. If you can tolerate it maybe try working on arching, go online and find some wrestling videos showing neck exercises.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bigblondekid View Post
    Sounds like you're possibly clenching your jaw or not breathing right when you lift. Does the pressure or pain extend to the middle-back of your head? I had something similar a couple years ago, pain in my head/neck was so intense I couldn't lift a 15lb dumbell without grimacing. I would try stetching your neck a couple times daily, side to side, front to back. If you can tolerate it maybe try working on arching, go online and find some wrestling videos showing neck exercises.
    yeah I do have pressure there. Even when I bench sometimes I have pressure there. It doesn't seem to matter how I breath. I mean I have been breathing in while lowering the weight to my chest and breathing out while pushing it up, taking big breaths and going slow, yet I still have this problem. This only occurs when the weight feels heavy.

4. Bro could be overtraining. Possibly give a few days off, if you can't bear it, or if you feel you are aggrivating it. If its still getting better, I'd keep lifting. I get those pinches in my neck and back, where looking forward is all I can do and that still hurts. Lol you are reminding me just how often I hurt and are in pain lol, vs feeling good and normal. You might try drinking alot of water, could be a lil dehydrated which can aggrivate your situation.

5. Sounds similar to what happened to me, like I said earlier. I would definitely make sure that you are hydrated and not deficient in any vitamins, and probably take some time off. Try a few days and see how it feels, when you get back into it be sure to take it slow and don't push too hard. If it doesn't go away after a week or two I would definitely go talk to your doctor and get it checked out, might be a pinched nerve or disk out of whack. Good Luck.
    •   

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Neck Bridge / Neck Pain ?
    By HATE in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
  2. eye strain with lifting?
    By freeze313 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM
  3. neck exercises