neck strain on most exercises

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I know I've talked about having neck strain in other threads, but figured I'd make this thread to just talk about my neck strain. Basically I can not seem to relax the muscles in my neck, no matter what I do. If I look forward I have strain, if I look slightly up I have strain, if I look slightly down I have strain. Is there any kind of stretches I can do to help me with this? It's like I have a ring of pressure from the back of the top of my neck to the bottom of my jaw. I have the strain while curling now.

Bigblondekid

Awards
Sounds like you're possibly clenching your jaw or not breathing right when you lift. Does the pressure or pain extend to the middle-back of your head? I had something similar a couple years ago, pain in my head/neck was so intense I couldn't lift a 15lb dumbell without grimacing. I would try stetching your neck a couple times daily, side to side, front to back. If you can tolerate it maybe try working on arching, go online and find some wrestling videos showing neck exercises.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you're possibly clenching your jaw or not breathing right when you lift. Does the pressure or pain extend to the middle-back of your head? I had something similar a couple years ago, pain in my head/neck was so intense I couldn't lift a 15lb dumbell without grimacing. I would try stetching your neck a couple times daily, side to side, front to back. If you can tolerate it maybe try working on arching, go online and find some wrestling videos showing neck exercises.
yeah I do have pressure there. Even when I bench sometimes I have pressure there. It doesn't seem to matter how I breath. I mean I have been breathing in while lowering the weight to my chest and breathing out while pushing it up, taking big breaths and going slow, yet I still have this problem. This only occurs when the weight feels heavy.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
Bro could be overtraining. Possibly give a few days off, if you can't bear it, or if you feel you are aggrivating it. If its still getting better, I'd keep lifting. I get those pinches in my neck and back, where looking forward is all I can do and that still hurts. Lol you are reminding me just how often I hurt and are in pain lol, vs feeling good and normal. You might try drinking alot of water, could be a lil dehydrated which can aggrivate your situation.

Bigblondekid

Awards
Sounds similar to what happened to me, like I said earlier. I would definitely make sure that you are hydrated and not deficient in any vitamins, and probably take some time off. Try a few days and see how it feels, when you get back into it be sure to take it slow and don't push too hard. If it doesn't go away after a week or two I would definitely go talk to your doctor and get it checked out, might be a pinched nerve or disk out of whack. Good Luck.