Kids and Weights

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys. I have been kicking around a few things in the mind and wanted some input and general consensus. I have 7, yes 7 kids. 6 of them are boys and a baby girl. My oldest are young teenagers and they see dad, when I'm not deployed to Iraq like I currently am, lifting weights all the time. I have brought them with me a few times to the local gym. At what age and maturity level would you all recommend starting serious, supplement free, training? Any and all input welcome as well as personal experiences!

My background is Army Master Fitness Trainer and I have been lifting for years, correctly I might add! :drillsergeant:

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
have a read of [criticalbench.com/kids-weight-training.htm[/url]
good site, they being of the opinion that 13 years is a good age for supervised and light weight training. Of course the author gives it as his opinion. Anyone have any thoughts about it? Any personal experience?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
early teens is a good time to develop form and knowledge. do not let them "max out" or anything like that, but rather get form and exercise knowledge down. watch their dehydration levels, they become dehydrated quicker than adults do. and keep their frequency down to one day on one day off, never back to back workouts.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Ok, given this from len, what are some examples. Possibly:
Monday Chest with 2 exercises and Tris 3 Ex
Tues off
Wed Back 2 ex with Bi's 2 ex
Thurs off
Friday Legs and shoulders with 2 each
thoughts????

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Ok, given this from len, what are some examples. Possibly:
Monday Chest with 2 exercises and Tris 3 Ex
Tues off
Wed Back 2 ex with Bi's 2 ex
Thurs off
Friday Legs and shoulders with 2 each
thoughts????
my daughter is nine, so she has a couple of years to go until she starts exercising, assuming she would want to learn how to from an old man. but if (and possibly when) i am in your shoes, i would start with the basics. bicep curls, bench press, squats, things like that. again form and knowledge are the key here. you could start with the basics and stick with those for a while and introduce other exercises along the way like skull-crushers, preacher curls, you know what i mean? you can not, nor do you need to be as detailed as you do with an adult. you could do a routine for them like you suggested, but make sure that the reps are high (no powerlifting here) and the form is taught correctly. teaching your children to exercise is also where you have to get creative, you have to make exercising fun, you have to give them a good reason to do it. now with boys it might be easier than little women (no being sexist here ladies) but with boys all you have to tell them is how much women like muscles.....done. i have no idea how i am going to convince my daughter, if there are any women reading, please make some suggestions.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
I went to college for personal training and this is one of the things I had to extensivly study. the myth has always been that training at too young of an age messes up growth plates, hormones, ect ect, the list goes on and on. the truth is that weight lifting does not do any of these things. the only guidelines that were put in place for trainers to prescribe an age for youngsters to lift is that they have emotional maturity so that they dont hurt themselves fooling around. you can start training at any age and it will only benefit your chidren. just make sure their mature enough to not throw weights around ect ect so no one gets hurt.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
now, the one thing that is true is the fact that your sons wont be able to gain signifigant muscle mass until they hit puberty do to the test levels not being developed in their bodies. but they will gain alot of strength due to nueromusclar development in the first couple months.

wild12

Awards
I went to college for personal training and this is one of the things I had to extensivly study. the myth has always been that training at too young of an age messes up growth plates, hormones, ect ect, the list goes on and on. the truth is that weight lifting does not do any of these things. the only guidelines that were put in place for trainers to prescribe an age for youngsters to lift is that they have emotional maturity so that they dont hurt themselves fooling around. you can start training at any age and it will only benefit your chidren. just make sure their mature enough to not throw weights around ect ect so no one gets hurt.
Totally agree...as long as the younger kids working out are being closely watched as to what exercises they are doing and the form they are doing them with, there shouldn't be any issues with them working out.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is my personal opinion and experience with my son. He started doing an organized exersise routine at 11 yrs of age. It was mostly body weight movements: pushups,situps,pullups,plyometric leg exersises....you get the idea. I also did alot of foot speed and hand eye exersises. When he hit 13 the hormones kicked in and he was introduced to the weight room. He has never gone below a 6 rep set.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Bones don't fully develop until 14-22 years of age, depending on gender and maturation, so there is a greater potential for injury. Keep the weight light and the weeks short, about 3 days a week. It is very good for self-esteem.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
This is my personal opinion and experience with my son. He started doing an organized exersise routine at 11 yrs of age. It was mostly body weight movements: pushups,situps,pullups,plyometric leg exersises....you get the idea. I also did alot of foot speed and hand eye exersises. When he hit 13 the hormones kicked in and he was introduced to the weight room. He has never gone below a 6 rep set.
Awesome, Thanks to one and all. I think that once I return from this tropical paradise that is Iraq in January, my 2 teenagers are in for a treat. I knew I wanted to get them started, and thanks to you all, I know how!

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
my daughter is nine, so she has a couple of years to go until she starts exercising, assuming she would want to learn how to from an old man. but if (and possibly when) i am in your shoes, i would start with the basics. bicep curls, bench press, squats, things like that. again form and knowledge are the key here. you could start with the basics and stick with those for a while and introduce other exercises along the way like skull-crushers, preacher curls, you know what i mean? you can not, nor do you need to be as detailed as you do with an adult. you could do a routine for them like you suggested, but make sure that the reps are high (no powerlifting here) and the form is taught correctly. teaching your children to exercise is also where you have to get creative, you have to make exercising fun, you have to give them a good reason to do it. now with boys it might be easier than little women (no being sexist here ladies) but with boys all you have to tell them is how much women like muscles.....done. i have no idea how i am going to convince my daughter, if there are any women reading, please make some suggestions.

exercise doesnt have to be weights, by all means try to educate your daughter that exercise is important through life, however its only going to be fun if your daughter enjoys it , dont make the mistake which some parents do , of living your life through your children.
exercise can take many forms, dance, running, swimming even walking let her find something she can enjoy and with a group pf people her own age, then she will not only learn to interact with people but also learn social skills as well

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I like the opinions in this thread. When its my kids, I think I will put off lifting until 15-16ish.

Plenty of push ups/pull ups, sports, and being active will keep them healthy. Our lifestyle of lifting leaves most of us creaky by the time we are middle aged lol. A teen does not need massive muscles, but to be fit and healthy. IMO 15-16 would be a good age due to high school and the increased need for actual muscle mass for many sports. Just train the kid to have an anti-jock mind. Teach him respect, and to value intelligence more than muscle, and see muscle as a benefit in life.

Besides, a teen doing a ton of push ups,sit ups, pull ups, can probably pack on a a crap load of mass compared to someone in their 20's and 30's who need free weight to do it.

Then teach them proper form. By high school they should have a decent coach who teaches them proper lifting techniques and such. I did, but my wrestling coach thought 5-7 hours of practice after school was necessary XD as well.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
i grew up with a competive bodybuilder as a father, he had me lifting at 14.

allenzo

Awards
I like the opinions in this thread. When its my kids, I think I will put off lifting until 15-16ish.

Plenty of push ups/pull ups, sports, and being active will keep them healthy. Our lifestyle of lifting leaves most of us creaky by the time we are middle aged lol. A teen does not need massive muscles, but to be fit and healthy. IMO 15-16 would be a good age due to high school and the increased need for actual muscle mass for many sports. Just train the kid to have an anti-jock mind. Teach him respect, and to value intelligence more than muscle, and see muscle as a benefit in life.

Besides, a teen doing a ton of push ups,sit ups, pull ups, can probably pack on a a crap load of mass compared to someone in their 20's and 30's who need free weight to do it.

Then teach them proper form. By high school they should have a decent coach who teaches them proper lifting techniques and such. I did, but my wrestling coach thought 5-7 hours of practice after school was necessary XD as well.

Agree^^^. I did not start until I hit high school. I believe the exercises should also show some focused on if they are planning on playing a specific sport. But I would start with the basic movements first and then move into sport specific exercises (if applicable) after they achieve good form.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
i grew up with a competive bodybuilder as a father, he had me lifting at 14.
you're lucky bro! my dad had me eating popcorn and being a couch potato until 16 when I realized I was on my own with fitness. Hoping to do for my boys what your father did for you! Thanks for the input