Tablets and Laptops for Kids

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm thinking of getting my kids laptops or tablets for Christmas. They are 5 and 8. The 8 year old would be giddy of I put Roblox on his device. Im wondering what specs are necessary for that game to work. Would an Amazon Fire or Fire Kids work for that?

My 5 year old probably doesn't have a specific criteria. He'll just want whatever his brother gets. As long as there's a few apps that he can tinker with, he'll be happy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking of getting my kids laptops or tablets for Christmas. They are 5 and 8. The 8 year old would be giddy of I put Roblox on his device. Im wondering what specs are necessary for that game to work. Would an Amazon Fire or Fire Kids work for that?

My 5 year old probably doesn't have a specific criteria. He'll just want whatever his brother gets. As long as there's a few apps that he can tinker with, he'll be happy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
According to my youngest, an Amazon Fire or Fire Kids would not be ideal for Roblox. He also said a tablet would be ok, but a newish laptop with a halfway decent graphics card (whatever that means haha) will be more than enough. He’s admittedly not a tech geek, but he used to play that a ton and that’s what he suggests. He is 14 though lol

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
According to my youngest, an Amazon Fire or Fire Kids would not be ideal for Roblox. He also said a tablet would be ok, but a newish laptop with a halfway decent graphics card (whatever that means haha) will be more than enough. He’s admittedly not a tech geek, but he used to play that a ton and that’s what he suggests. He is 14 though lol
You have a smart kid! He is on the same page as some of the brief research that I've done since making this post. Thanks for sharing his input!

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have a smart kid! He is on the same page as some of the brief research that I've done since making this post. Thanks for sharing his input!
You bet man! Hope it works out, although I’m sure it will since new tech is always a win for today’s kiddos.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to get tightly whiteies, army men, bike, electric football game, nerf football, and socks. Not all at once.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to get tightly whiteies, army men, bike, electric football game, nerf football, and socks. Not all at once.
Me too. A new football and basketball since I wore the grip off the ones I got last year LOL

But since you and I are both typing on an electronic device to particpate on this internet forum, Im sending out a Bat Signal for anyone willing to help me learn.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s your budget?

Unfortunately graphics and tech stuff is stupidly overpriced currently.

That said you won’t need much power to run Roblox (from what I know). Even something with integrated graphics should be fine (don’t need a discrete graphics card so a cheaper option can be fine).

You will probably want to just keep an eye on deals throughout the month. Walmart often runs some pretty steep sales on laptops throughout this month if you keep your eyes open.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What’s your budget?

Unfortunately graphics and tech stuff is stupidly overpriced currently.

That said you won’t need much power to run Roblox (from what I know). Even something with integrated graphics should be fine (don’t need a discrete graphics card so a cheaper option can be fine).

You will probably want to just keep an eye on deals throughout the month. Walmart often runs some pretty steep sales on laptops throughout this month if you keep your eyes open.
Thats a good idea re Wal Mart sales. Id like to keep it to like 100 or 150 each.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
We got a fire tablet last year for my 2 year old to occasionally watch a video on when the iPad wasn’t available. The processor in it is so slow, I regret buying it. I would have been better off spending a couple bucks more and getting the cheapest iPad.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My daughter's are now 10 and 13, but they've had tablets since about 4 years old and we started with the Amazon tablets and the Nubi, but they quickly outgrew those and I regretted going cheap at first because I ended up spending more in the end. Now, that was 6+ years ago, but looking at specs on the "kids" pads now, they haven't changed much.

Personally, I would look at the Lenovo M10 or a refurbished iPad, both of what would be around $200. Not much higher than your current budget but guaranteed to last longer so you'll actually save money. And the best part is you won't have to spend time deleting apps or making room for storage so their games play correctly. That always drove me nuts.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good stuff guys! Thanks for everyone's input!

Sounds like the consensus is to rule out the Fire. Sounds like I'd be buying myself a major hassle.