Chiropractor says to stop pressing

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,

Local Chiro has said for me to stop most of the conventional press movements, especially with a barbell.

He said the conesquences are huge if i dont and start to correct my mis-alignments.

Anyone had to do this? If so, do you use a specific routine?

Reps for good answers :)

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
2 NHS doctors on two separate occasions told me to stop going to a chiropractor. I see you are in the uk .i think youll find its not something they go along with.
As a result of all the pressing and pulling on my upper back , it resulted in muscle spasms and my body went into shock .i was sleeping or trying to, in the chair for 3 nights, unable to get into bed.i couldnt drive or turn my neck .the whole episode lasted about 12 weeks.Not only that the wallett was getting lighter and lighter.
it an experience i will never forget and never repeat,in the end i had physio at the local hospital which of course is free.

Robbo

Awards
Good 'ol NHS, I've been getting my NI contribution's worth lately :(.

On one visit, for a nerve entrapment (not in my back though), I mentioned chiropractors to the consultant and she strongly advised seeing a physical therapist instead.

I believe that some of them are capable of fixing some back problems but many say they can cure all sorts of things by removing 'subluxations'. It may work for some people but after some research I decided not to attend one.

ntornado

Awards
Heard many times that you should be able to BB Row with strict form, just as much as you bench.

I'm way off but have never had any problems.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes ive been told to stay away from them but this guy came highly recommended locally.

Looks like its NHS for me then, physio sounds about right.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My Chrio told me to stop lifting weights and if I wanted to really be in shape pick up rock climbing. Never went back to that Chiro.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
My Chrio told me to stop lifting weights and if I wanted to really be in shape pick up rock climbing. Never went back to that Chiro.
these rock climbers do look lean and muscular though

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
to be fair this guy is an ex pro, bit of a legend round our small town and at 60 still in better shape than ill ever be lol.

i wasent really listening when he was cracking me but the jist was, dont do barbell work.

argh.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rock climbers are ni awesome shape, both muscular and extremely strong. The point I was making is that he wasn't really taking into consideration on what I was doing and my personal goals and giving advice on those. He basically said stop it all and do X instead. Considering i'd never hang from a rock unless I was pushed, it was bad advice. it's like telling a runner not to run.

o-hero: If he knows his stuff and that's his advice i'm sure he has alternate methods to maintain balance in your weight training. I'd just go with that.