Squat Experts only i got a couple ?s

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
well first of all you all are going to be proud, two weeks in a row ive hit legs, Ive been working legs off and on, usually trying to find short cuts to not do them. In football for HS we had a 1200 pound club and id make that easily by just maxing 300 on squat since my other lifts were really good. SO i finally decided on a routine

1. Squat 5/3/1 try to break my best 1 ORM for squat each workout.
Good Mornings 3 x 6-8
Ham Curls 3-4 sets 6-12 reps
Leg Extentions 4 sets 15
Leg Press 3-4 sets of 20 reps

Main goals is too be able to squat 405 for a max highest i got was 365 with shitty depth tho.. i widened my stance and im in love with squat now so help me with these questions..

1. first i unrack the bar and set it on my lower traps puff my chest out, lower the bar under control and have my lower back flexed? i gues u would call it threwout the movement. any adjustments needed? width is a lil past shoulder width.

2. I find i always pause like maybe a second at the bottom and explode up, kind of like u would when ur tackling someone in football. is this smart or no? It feels alot better on my lower back doing this then a continuous rep.

3. after doing 5/3/1 ill drop to 225 and rep it out to failure today i got 20. would this lead to overtraining? im not concerned with pushing massive weight for hamstring curls or extentions anything like that. thats more for the pump

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Depends how often you do that routine.. I think doing it every 5th or 6th day and you will be fine. Widowmakers are a definite killer on legs and will help you to see growth in no time.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea bro i only do legs like once a week, and can u tell me what those widowmakers are?

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Widowmaker is a fancy name for a 20Rep Squat.. Max weight you can do 20 reps for. If you're only working them once a week i'd go balls to the wall. Your quads will thank you :).

Jaidmaster

Jaidmaster

Awards
I'm no expert, but have read Starting Strength, which has a lot of good info on the basic movements - I think it's 50 some pages on the squat alone... Anyway comments are based on what I remember from that book.

1 - Be sure to start the movement by pushing the hips back. Finding the right foot position and angle is a little different for everyone. You want to breath into your diaphram - feels like breathing into your stomach - this gives a larger/more stable base.

2 - I guess a pause is ok, but you lose some of the stretch rebound coming out of the hole. I recall mentioning that you should start thinking about pushing toward the bottom. Maybe you are dropping too fast if it's hard on your lower back? Not sure about that.

3 - Sounds good to me!

I'm sure others will have more info - might post in the powerlifting forum also.

well first of all you all are going to be proud, two weeks in a row ive hit legs, Ive been working legs off and on, usually trying to find short cuts to not do them. In football for HS we had a 1200 pound club and id make that easily by just maxing 300 on squat since my other lifts were really good. SO i finally decided on a routine

1. Squat 5/3/1 try to break my best 1 ORM for squat each workout.
Good Mornings 3 x 6-8
Ham Curls 3-4 sets 6-12 reps
Leg Extentions 4 sets 15
Leg Press 3-4 sets of 20 reps

Main goals is too be able to squat 405 for a max highest i got was 365 with shitty depth tho.. i widened my stance and im in love with squat now so help me with these questions..

1. first i unrack the bar and set it on my lower traps puff my chest out, lower the bar under control and have my lower back flexed? i gues u would call it threwout the movement. any adjustments needed? width is a lil past shoulder width.

2. I find i always pause like maybe a second at the bottom and explode up, kind of like u would when ur tackling someone in football. is this smart or no? It feels alot better on my lower back doing this then a continuous rep.

3. after doing 5/3/1 ill drop to 225 and rep it out to failure today i got 20. would this lead to overtraining? im not concerned with pushing massive weight for hamstring curls or extentions anything like that. thats more for the pump

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 1
General Chat 6
Rocket3015 Training Forum 6
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 1
Dustin07 Training Forum 8