Good exercise for back...

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do low rows, high rows, lat pull downs and tbar rows, as well as(not sure of the name), the one where you put one knee on bench and pullup dumbbell.

I still feel like my workout is lacking tho because I have seen little to no improvement on my back physique, any suggestions to get better results?

I already do deads and squats as well, but not on back days.

trainnate

Awards
I do low rows, high rows, lat pull downs and tbar rows, as well as(not sure of the name), the one where you put one knee on bench and pullup dumbbell.

I still feel like my workout is lacking tho because I have seen little to no improvement on my back physique, any suggestions to get better results?

I already do deads and squats as well, but not on back days.

The exercise you couldn't think of is one arm DB rows or lawn mower pulls. I like weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. I'm not sure whether you're doing Bent-over Barbell Rows, that's good for building a big back. Also, try switching up your exercises, shock your muscles.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The exercise you couldn't think of is one arm DB rows or lawn mower pulls. I like weighted pull-ups and chin-ups. I'm not sure whether you're doing Bent-over Barbell Rows, that's good for building a big back. Also, try switching up your exercises, shock your muscles.

what do you mean? like try a different order? or like try doing them on a different day?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Pull Ups!
Chest Supported rows
Fat Man Rows
Straight Arm pullovers
Scapular Shrugs
Prisoner Pulldowns - These take your hands right out of the movement and force all the stress on your lats.
You may want to get a pair of lifting straps so that you can take your biceps out of the movements. Check out the exercise index at Elitefts if you need descriptions of these lifts.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pull Ups!
Chest Supported rows
Fat Man Rows
Straight Arm pullovers
Scapular Shrugs
Prisoner Pulldowns - These take your hands right out of the movement and force all the stress on your lats.
You may want to get a pair of lifting straps so that you can take your biceps out of the movements. Check out the exercise index at Elitefts if you need descriptions of these lifts.

cool thx for this, the only one I couldnt find was the one bolded.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just stand in front of a lat pulldown, then with your arms fully extended grab the bar. You should stay standing, Next use your lats to pull the bar down towards your hips. You should keep your arms fully extended the whole time.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just stand in front of a lat pulldown, then with your arms fully extended grab the bar. You should stay standing, Next use your lats to pull the bar down towards your hips. You should keep your arms fully extended the whole time.
ahh ok I get it ,cool beans, THANKS!

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Deadlifts, rack deadlifts, barbell rows, pullups, close grip pullups, reverse grip pullups, 1 arm t-bar rows, rack chins.

Focus on the exercises you can get heavy progression with.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mate, never do lat pull downs if you can do chins! Chins are WAY more effective, especially when you move onto weighted ones! Pulldowns the easy way out :D

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts, rack deadlifts, barbell rows, pullups, close grip pullups, reverse grip pullups, 1 arm t-bar rows, rack chins.

Focus on the exercises you can get heavy progression with.
cool, what are rack chins?

walugi

walugi

Awards
how about good exercises that take the lower back out of it? I find that i'd love to do t bar rows, deads and all that bent over stuff (no homo) but after a while my lower back is just too weak to support the weight my back can move

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
how about good exercises that take the lower back out of it? I find that i'd love to do t bar rows, deads and all that bent over stuff (no homo) but after a while my lower back is just too weak to support the weight my back can move
Those movements should be strengthening your lower back.

Are you having back issues (vertebrae misalignments) due to weak abs or what? I guess I don't understand how your lower back can't support what your back can handle?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE"]YouTube - Jason Wojo Rack Chins[/ame]

These are killer

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
ok trying that.
I've been doing these the past few weeks as my last exercise on back day. You sure can feel em and I usually can only do 3 sets of 8.......going straight to failure. Love em!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
bro...do the basics! once to get some size then those fine tuning movements are fine. Lat pulls, pull ups, barbell rows, tbars, and DEAD LIFTS for christs sakes!

aanderso1986

Awards
great exercise, try switching it up by using the cable pushdown rope...grab the rope just like you would for cable pushdowns, and rather than standing straight up, bend your knees a bit, bend over a little bit, keep your arms fully extended and pull down towards your hips, on the way up get a good stretch at the end and pull back down slowly...i usually do 3 or 4 sets of 12-15 reps at the end of my back day, one day like this and one day with the bar...

good luck building a monster back!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Chin-ups.. for sure.

Check out sternum chin-ups.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i have never heard of sternum chin-ups, what are they?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the tips guys, keep em coming, Ill be trying out alot of these exercises and the ones I like get positive rep for suggesting them!

joelast

joelast

Awards
i have never heard of sternum chin-ups, what are they?
They're were you do a pull up but tilt your body and touch you sternum to the bar. Charles Poliquin is a big fan of these, he argues they're one of the best exercises for upper back development. There hard as fukc tho.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
They're were you do a pull up but tilt your body and touch you sternum to the bar. Charles Poliquin is a big fan of these, he argues they're one of the best exercises for upper back development. There hard as fukc tho.
x2.. This man has it.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean? like try a different order? or like try doing them on a different day?
try them in a different order. your body is getting used to doing them in the same order every back day. so try ur lawn mower pulls first then t bar then lat pulldowns but i like chin ups best. it gives you wide lats.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts 3 sets 4-6 reps, heavy. Make sure you don't have shite form before you do this.

1 armed row 2 sets 4-6 reps, heavy.

Barbell row 2 sets 4-6 reps, heavy.

Weighted pull-ups 2 sets if your tough enough 4-6 reps
Body weight if your not.
:cheers:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
90% of people have poor technique on their back lifts, which is why so few people have any sort of discernible back development. Every rep should include:
1. Scapular adduction
2. Keeping your wrists and elbows in one parallel plane
3. Pulling your elbows are far back as possible without breaking the wrist/elbow alignment

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
90% of people have poor technique on their back lifts, which is why so few people have any sort of discernible back development. Every rep should include:
Fully agree.:bandit:

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
good mornings are killer and by far one of my favorite back exercises. take a very narrow stance with the bar on your back like a squat. arch your lower back to keep it stationary and bend over to parallel or just below and back up. really feels great.....

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I do agree with you Rodja on the poor technique factor, but I think Intensity has just as much to do with it. I see too many people in the gym with low weight doing all forms of rows, even deads, all with as perfect form as possible, yet they are still relatively small. No explosiveness, no focus aka zone..... the intensity is just not there. I think its this "intensity" that separates the powerlifters/bodybuilders from all the others.

Don't get me wrong,.... I dont think everyone needs to grunt and yell, or look like a crazed lunatic just out from the pen, but come on, if you look like an unstrained robot, doing pulldowns with 30lbs,.....you need to add some serious weight.

So in the words of Arnold: "C'mon,... Let's get serious."

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
good mornings are killer and by far one of my favorite back exercises. take a very narrow stance with the bar on your back like a squat. arch your lower back to keep it stationary and bend over to parallel or just below and back up. really feels great.....
Yes sir I love these!

walugi

walugi

Awards
Those movements should be strengthening your lower back.

Are you having back issues (vertebrae misalignments) due to weak abs or what? I guess I don't understand how your lower back can't support what your back can handle?
yeah its a bit of both

genetically inherited strange back shape :\

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
What rep range are you staying in with Good Mornings?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
yeah its a bit of both

genetically inherited strange back shape :\
I have the same problem and here's how I handle it (and it's working great)-

1- Lower Weight/Higer Reps and avoiding exercises like full deadlifts, barbell rows or t-bar rows for not until you get your abdominal strength built up.

I use a lot of DB rows, chest supported rows, cable rows and 1 arm t-bar rows (support yourself on your knee or on a bench.

2- Really work your abdominal strength. That doesn't mean millions of crunches either. Hammer your abs w/ planks, landmines, suitcase deadlifts, straight leg raises and light DB snatches.

I'd avoid good mornings like the plague for now at least. That exercise is great for building your back and hamstrings but since you have recurring lower back problems they can be way to much and possibly set you back farther.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Mate, never do lat pull downs if you can do chins! Chins are WAY more effective, especially when you move onto weighted ones! Pulldowns the easy way out :D
Agreed. i love bb rows from floor.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem and here's how I handle it (and it's working great)-

1- Lower Weight/Higer Reps and avoiding exercises like full deadlifts, barbell rows or t-bar rows for not until you get your abdominal strength built up.

I use a lot of DB rows, chest supported rows, cable rows and 1 arm t-bar rows (support yourself on your knee or on a bench.

2- Really work your abdominal strength. That doesn't mean millions of crunches either. Hammer your abs w/ planks, landmines, suitcase deadlifts, straight leg raises and light DB snatches.

I'd avoid good mornings like the plague for now at least. That exercise is great for building your back and hamstrings but since you have recurring lower back problems they can be way to much and possibly set you back farther.
+rep to you sir! I tried both of the bolded exercises and damn....

Suitcase deadlifts with 135 pounds made me sweat soooo damn much.

Thanks!

Ill be trying more of these soon! more rep coming!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
What rep range are you staying in with Good Mornings?
Depends on which set of muscles you want to hit.. For Spinal Extensors (lower back) you want to go high, 10-20 reps. If you want to get the hammies, lower reps 4-10 w/ heavier weight is the way to go.