Good exercise for back...

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I do agree with you Rodja on the poor technique factor, but I think Intensity has just as much to do with it. I see too many people in the gym with low weight doing all forms of rows, even deads, all with as perfect form as possible, yet they are still relatively small. No explosiveness, no focus aka zone..... the intensity is just not there. I think its this "intensity" that separates the powerlifters/bodybuilders from all the others.

Don't get me wrong,.... I dont think everyone needs to grunt and yell, or look like a crazed lunatic just out from the pen, but come on, if you look like an unstrained robot, doing pulldowns with 30lbs,.....you need to add some serious weight.

So in the words of Arnold: "C'mon,... Let's get serious."

2. Quote Originally Posted by bigironkiller View Post
    good mornings are killer and by far one of my favorite back exercises. take a very narrow stance with the bar on your back like a squat. arch your lower back to keep it stationary and bend over to parallel or just below and back up. really feels great.....
    Yes sir I love these!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    Those movements should be strengthening your lower back.

Are you having back issues (vertebrae misalignments) due to weak abs or what? I guess I don't understand how your lower back can't support what your back can handle?
    yeah its a bit of both

genetically inherited strange back shape :\

4. What rep range are you staying in with Good Mornings?

5. Quote Originally Posted by walugi View Post
    yeah its a bit of both

genetically inherited strange back shape :\
    I have the same problem and here's how I handle it (and it's working great)-

1- Lower Weight/Higer Reps and avoiding exercises like full deadlifts, barbell rows or t-bar rows for not until you get your abdominal strength built up.

I use a lot of DB rows, chest supported rows, cable rows and 1 arm t-bar rows (support yourself on your knee or on a bench.

2- Really work your abdominal strength. That doesn't mean millions of crunches either. Hammer your abs w/ planks, landmines, suitcase deadlifts, straight leg raises and light DB snatches.

I'd avoid good mornings like the plague for now at least. That exercise is great for building your back and hamstrings but since you have recurring lower back problems they can be way to much and possibly set you back farther.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by OzzY SluGGa View Post
    Mate, never do lat pull downs if you can do chins! Chins are WAY more effective, especially when you move onto weighted ones! Pulldowns the easy way out
    Agreed. i love bb rows from floor.

7. Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    I have the same problem and here's how I handle it (and it's working great)-

1- Lower Weight/Higer Reps and avoiding exercises like full deadlifts, barbell rows or t-bar rows for not until you get your abdominal strength built up.

I use a lot of DB rows, chest supported rows, cable rows and 1 arm t-bar rows (support yourself on your knee or on a bench.

2- Really work your abdominal strength. That doesn't mean millions of crunches either. Hammer your abs w/ planks, landmines, suitcase deadlifts, straight leg raises and light DB snatches.

I'd avoid good mornings like the plague for now at least. That exercise is great for building your back and hamstrings but since you have recurring lower back problems they can be way to much and possibly set you back farther.
    +rep to you sir! I tried both of the bolded exercises and damn....

Suitcase deadlifts with 135 pounds made me sweat soooo damn much.

Thanks!

Ill be trying more of these soon! more rep coming!

8. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    What rep range are you staying in with Good Mornings?
    Depends on which set of muscles you want to hit.. For Spinal Extensors (lower back) you want to go high, 10-20 reps. If you want to get the hammies, lower reps 4-10 w/ heavier weight is the way to go.

9. Along the lines of back workouts you should try the 100 Day Pull-Up Challenge...

100 Day Pull-up Challenge!!! Join Me Starting Monday March 9th
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Good diet and exercise
    By DreamWeaver in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
  2. Good DC Triceps exercise
    By jdev in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
  3. Best Exercise for Widening the back and shoulders?
    By Nabisco in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 04:27 AM
  4. What is the best, overall back exercise.
    By stuart harlin in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
  5. Dumbbell Pullovers - Back or Chest Exercise
    By Skark in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM