Ecto question...

robotj

Awards
Is it true that us ectos need to hit 4 sets rather than 3 on most exercises in order to get good response?

Was searching and dug up an older thread, hadn't heard that before but if its really true I might have to switch things up. Can't link yet but it mentioned that ectos need more sets in order to stimulate the endurance fibers which we have more of?

Any thoughts?

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has type I and type II muscle fibers. If your bulking up, you'll want to do a lot of sets of low reps. IE: 8 then 6 then 4 then 1 or 2, increasing the weight every time. Then go back to slightly lower weight then what you started with and push till you can't anymore, as many reps as you can. This way your building both types of muscle fiber and maximizing your workouts. Good luck!! If you truly are an Ecto, then you need to eat better, work out harder, and rest more then the other people who aren't. So to answer your question......Yes. Most definatly.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Is it true that us ectos need to hit 4 sets rather than 3 on most exercises in order to get good response?

Was searching and dug up an older thread, hadn't heard that before but if its really true I might have to switch things up. Can't link yet but it mentioned that ectos need more sets in order to stimulate the endurance fibers which we have more of?

Any thoughts?

its a good theory, though i don't know how accurate it is - endurace fibers don't get a whole lot bigger. 4 sets of 10 or more reps though releases a higher amount of GH, which may be what is helping you grow - that's the other theory.

GH = minor muscle gains + low body fat. sounds like an ecto to me. either the 4 sets activates the endurance fibers and we grow that way, or we've naturally got a higher GH level, and we kick it into overdrive with 4 sets of 10+

i have no clue what is actually the case though.

robotj

Awards
Ok, another thing,

2 - 4 reps is best for improving muscle power
5 - 6 reps is best for building muscle strength
8 - 12 reps is best for increasing muscle hypertrophy (muscle gains)
I'm trying to stick to the 8-12 range and going to bump an extra set on. I notice some people use a flat weight and shoot for specific number of reps per set. IE 12/12/12/12(or failure)

I've also heard the 12/10/8/6 with adding a bit of weight each set.

Which is better? I haven't tried the latter.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Ok, another thing,

I'm trying to stick to the 8-12 range and going to bump an extra set on. I notice some people use a flat weight and shoot for specific number of reps per set. IE 12/12/12/12(or failure)

I've also heard the 12/10/8/6 with adding a bit of weight each set.

Which is better? I haven't tried the latter.
well, in this regard, everyone is different. personally, my rep scheme was 6-10. whenever i got up to 4x10, i'd add the 2.5 plates on each side of the barbell, and shot for 4x6, and worked my way back up to 10 reps.

find out what works best for you. maybe the 12/10/8/6 is the magic numbers for you.