Weight belt is REQUIRED for squats at my gym - AnabolicMinds.com

Weight belt is REQUIRED for squats at my gym

  1. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Weight belt is REQUIRED for squats at my gym


    The head trainer at my gym told me that I MUST wear a weight belt for squats, and if I don't, NONE of the gym trainers will be permitted to spot me on that exercise. He stipulated that (1) that's their policy (2) it's for my own protection (3) I'm the ONLY one with this problem.

    This is a big problem for me especially in this gym because they don't have a power rack; just an unreliable squat rack that's not capable of self spotting.

    Many of the gym trainers are professional bodybuilders, and they're pretty friendly and knowledgable too. Plus I've already paid for 2years membership.

    I've researched and decided that I don't want to wear a belt for squats.

    Thoughts anyone?

  2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ask for a refund, join another gym. belts do more harm than good if you aren't squatting over 250lbs or so
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    you can wear the belt really loose, so it doesn't support anything.
    •   
       

  4. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    I agree with Easy, but would merely state that the weight level should be relative and not absolute - i.e., if 225LB is your 1RM [one rep max], then you should be utilizing a belt. A safe range, for me at least, is using a belt on anything above 80% / 1RM [eighty-percent of my one rep max].
  5. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I agree with Easy, but would merely state that the weight level should be relative and not absolute - i.e., if 225LB is your 1RM [one rep max], then you should be utilizing a belt. A safe range, for me at least, is using a belt on anything above 80% / 1RM [eighty-percent of my one rep max].
    i can see that from a buisness standpoint, why there making u wear a belt.
  6. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    but i dont see how a gym who has professional bodybuilders as trainers wouldnt have a power rack?
  7. New Member
    IRON4LIFE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    19828

    Reputation

    I say don't wear a belt and ask someone who looks like they know what there doing to spot you....unless its written in there rules or was typed in your contract...they cant force you to wear it...i know'd id bitch a fit and get my money back...then id find another gym that didnt have gay rules like that
  8. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    483

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    you can wear the belt really loose, so it doesn't support anything.

    I agree.

    I don't see why any modern gym wouldn't have a self supporting rack, I know there are step out racks that gym have, but a power rack should be standard at this point.
  9. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    189

    Reputation

    I would ask that guy what his fuc*in problem is, he specifically singled you out? Usually you have to sign a waiver that says you won't sew the gym if you get injured to join so they shouldn't be worried about that.

    I agree with everyone else though, get your money back and find a new gym.
  10. New Member
    rabican's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    382
    Rep Power
    275

    Reputation

    Find a friend to spot don't use the trainers...I never ask trainers to spot me

  11. New Member
    IRON4LIFE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    19828

    Reputation

    ^^^ agree...half the time...at least at the gym i go to...the trainers don't know ****..there usually these 6'5" 140 dbags who just passed the PT test....lord knows they prob have never done an ATG squat or pulled a huge dead from the floor...find the most dedicated, driven guy in the gym...most likely he will know how to properly spot ya
  12. Senior Member
    jasonschaffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    742

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SteaminDman View Post
    The head trainer at my gym told me that I MUST wear a weight belt for squats, and if I don't, NONE of the gym trainers will be permitted to spot me on that exercise. He stipulated that (1) that's their policy (2) it's for my own protection (3) I'm the ONLY one with this problem.

    This is a big problem for me especially in this gym because they don't have a power rack; just an unreliable squat rack that's not capable of self spotting.

    Many of the gym trainers are professional bodybuilders, and they're pretty friendly and knowledgable too. Plus I've already paid for 2years membership.

    I've researched and decided that I don't want to wear a belt for squats.

    Thoughts anyone?
    Why do you feel they singled you out? Is it youre the only person who doesn't wear one? Or you're the only person who MUST wear one?
    I would say that if you're the only one in the gym they MAKE wear a belt then it is probably for poor form and you may be better off. If it's policy and you're the only one not doing it, get another gym.
  13. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschaffin View Post
    Why do you feel they singled you out? Is it youre the only person who doesn't wear one? Or you're the only person who MUST wear one?
    I would say that if you're the only one in the gym they MAKE wear a belt then it is probably for poor form and you may be better off. If it's policy and you're the only one not doing it, get another gym.
    I dont think a belt is going to fix poor form.
    SFW and GFH
  14. Senior Member
    jasonschaffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    742

    Reputation

    Obviously a belt won't fix his form. But I'm not there to fix it for him. If you squat with poor form I'd say you're safer with a belt then w/o. Obviously if your form sucks fix it first, guess I thought that went without saying.
  15. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschaffin View Post
    Obviously a belt won't fix his form. But I'm not there to fix it for him. If you squat with poor form I'd say you're safer with a belt then w/o. Obviously if your form sucks fix it first, guess I thought that went without saying.
    sorry man not calling you out just wanted to clarify. Maybe ask a trainer to teach you how to squat if your form sucks? or buy a crappy belt and wear it extremely loose.
    SFW and GFH
  16. New Member
    acoz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Why is a belt an issue if your hittin heavy weights its the smart thing. Yeah I guess if your not doing a full squat or your not going heavy but why squat then.
  17. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    566

    Reputation

    you shouldn't need safety equipment to lift safely!
  18. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschaffin View Post
    Why do you feel they singled you out? Is it youre the only person who doesn't wear one? Or you're the only person who MUST wear one?
    I would say that if you're the only one in the gym they MAKE wear a belt then it is probably for poor form and you may be better off. If it's policy and you're the only one not doing it, get another gym.
    thanks everyone for replying.

    jasonschaffin - I'm just starting out on squats with very light weights and concentrating primarily on good form. According to the head trainer, ALL people who use their squat rack WEAR a belt, and I am the ONLY oddball who doesn't and that is unacceptable.

    It's a real letdown because for the most part the trainers at that gym are pretty helpful. Joining another gym would be difficult because there are VERY few gyms where I live at.
  19. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    you can wear the belt really loose, so it doesn't support anything.
    haha...that's an interesting solution. I guess I would have to wear it loose enough to not support anything, but yet tight enough to appear that I'm following their rules so they'll be willing to spot me.
  20. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    ok.... you shouldn't need a spot if you are going light.....
    SFW and GFH
  21. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by acoz View Post
    Why is a belt an issue if your hittin heavy weights its the smart thing. Yeah I guess if your not doing a full squat or your not going heavy but why squat then.
    i'm just starting out on squats. I want to get my form solid before I go all out. I've read from many sources that it's not a good idea to use a belt when starting out.
  22. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SteaminDman View Post
    i'm just starting out on squats. I want to get my form solid before I go all out. I've read from many sources that it's not a good idea to use a belt when starting out.
    thats true. you need to build your stabalizers
    SFW and GFH
  23. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    ok.... you shouldn't need a spot if you are going light.....
    true...but i'll definitely need it when i start racking the weights...whenever I get to that point i guess
  24. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    i must say that I'm bewildered. The head trainer and most of the trainers are HUGE professional bodybuilders and know all the exercises inside-out [well it really sounds like it anyway]

    ...and yet the insistence on the belt for squats.....it's ironic
  25. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    does your gym have belts for everyone to use? chances are they are cheap crappy belts stuffed in some dark corner. Pull one of them out ask your trainers to teach you how to squat while wearing a loose belt.
    SFW and GFH
  26. New Member
    SteaminDman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    does your gym have belts for everyone to use? chances are they are cheap crappy belts stuffed in some dark corner. Pull one of them out ask your trainers to teach you how to squat while wearing a loose belt.

    nah...i'd have to go out and buy one. any ideas on what kind of belt would be best? thx in advance
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    you doing ass to ground? you probably wont hit anything crazy heavy for a while, a plain cheap leather belt is a decent start
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  28. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    if you are serious about getting into heavy squats inzer is the way to go but if you just want something to appease the meatheads at your gym google valeo
    SFW and GFH
  29. Senior Member
    alwaysgaining's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SteaminDman View Post
    The head trainer at my gym told me that I MUST wear a weight belt for squats, and if I don't, NONE of the gym trainers will be permitted to spot me on that exercise. He stipulated that (1) that's their policy (2) it's for my own protection (3) I'm the ONLY one with this problem.

    This is a big problem for me especially in this gym because they don't have a power rack; just an unreliable squat rack that's not capable of self spotting.

    Many of the gym trainers are professional bodybuilders, and they're pretty friendly and knowledgable too. Plus I've already paid for 2years membership.

    I've researched and decided that I don't want to wear a belt for squats.

    Thoughts anyone?
    i dont use a belt untill the weight gets heavy
    like 5 to 3 reps weight then i ware a belt
  30. Elite Member
    Inarius's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    17438

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    i dont use a belt untill the weight gets heavy
    like 5 to 3 reps weight then i ware a belt
    well I never squat for more than 5 reps does that mean I should always use a belt?
    SFW and GFH
  31. New Member
    BiggerGeek's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    141

    Reputation

    I never wear a belt. If someone told me I need to wear a belt i would tell them they need to shut up.
  32. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Im accustomed to wearing a belt. I wear one all the time. I lift fairly heavy tho.
  33. New Member
    Lacradocious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    284

    Reputation

    If your gym is full of professionals and they are so big on safety, then they should have proper equipment. If it's your form that is freaking them out, then they should have a squat rack that will allow you to safely drop the weight without causing further injury if need be.
  34. Senior Member
    alwaysgaining's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    well I never squat for more than 5 reps does that mean I should always use a belt?
    if those 5 reps are very hard and could cauz u to strian and lose fourm
    5 rep im talkin bout is like 85% to 90% of mi max
  35. Senior Member
    alwaysgaining's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BiggerGeek View Post
    I never wear a belt. If someone told me I need to wear a belt i would tell them they need to shut up.
    lol wow just wow... evan when u max im talkin like 500lbs + u dont ware a belt, i cant wait till mi lower back and core r that strong to hit mi old maxs without a belt
    this is wat i strive for!!!
  36. New Member
    mclovin30's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    As far as I know wearing a weight belt while doing squats and deads will not allow you to use your lower back and stomach muscles as much. For example if a football player did squats always wearing a weight belt then went out in the game and hit someone off the line they would be more likely to injure themselves because they always trained with a weight belt while lifting.

    I have a leather weight belt in my gym bag but I do not use it.
  37. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2668

    Reputation

    Just dump the weight off your back a couple times until you bend a bar, then they will either spot you or cancel your membership lol

    If you buy a cheap belt and wear it about three notches to loose it is not going to give you a lot of support but it is going to teach your to push your abs out throughout the movement which is important when you get to heavier weights.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  38. New Member
    BiggerGeek's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    141

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    lol wow just wow... evan when u max im talkin like 500lbs + u dont ware a belt, i cant wait till mi lower back and core r that strong to hit mi old maxs without a belt
    this is wat i strive for!!!
    I don't ever really MAX out. Closest I go is three rep. No need IMO, unless you are a power lifter.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weight Lifting Belt
    By Jorsn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
  2. Weight Belt for squats/deadlifts?
    By arfcommer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  3. Should I be using a weight belt for squats?
    By drguitar78 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 11:37 PM
  4. can lighter weight squats = growth
    By ironviking in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in