Deadlift: Hex Bar Vs. Straight Bar

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't turn anything up with a search.

I've used Hex bars before, and I didn't really like it..... it felt kind of awkward. There are plenty of Hex bars at the place I work out at, but I always just go for the straight bar. I was wondering if there is any significant difference between the two since the grip placement is quite different.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dunno, I've always used straight.

animal eater

Awards
I get more leg drive out of hex bar deads while I get more back from standard.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
A hex bar dead lift is more like a bottoms up squat then a dead lift. The weight is distributed inline with your heals, which will change the movement pattern of the lift. In a Deadlift you want to pull back, where with the hex bar you go straight up or slightly forward.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you get about 80 pounds more up in a hex bar then u do with a regular bar.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
in terms of growth which produces better if one is wanting to drill the legs?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, it sounds like the hex is more legs and straight is more back.

evanpiercey

Awards
I would say there is room in anyones program to utilize both. The hex can be a good change from the straight bar and vice versa.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Author of Beyond Brawn Stuart McRoberts swears by the hex bar for overall mass/ strength

MassBuilda123

Awards
the hex bar is definitely great for proper lifting.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
A hex bar dead lift is more like a bottoms up squat then a dead lift. The weight is distributed inline with your heals, which will change the movement pattern of the lift. In a Deadlift you want to pull back, where with the hex bar you go straight up or slightly forward.
Correct. Although I will say doing hex bar deads in highschool contributed to much of my base in terms of back thickness, since our coach was never in the weight room supervising us; therefore I was never told or showed to keep my back straight. Being young and stupid at the time, I hunched over badly at the bottom of the movement, and lift more with my back and less with legs. but as I stated I have significant mid back thickness b/c of doing this, so Im not complaining now.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Correct. Although I will say doing hex bar deads in highschool contributed to much of my base in terms of back thickness, since our coach was never in the weight room supervising us; therefore I was never told or showed to keep my back straight. Being young and stupid at the time, I hunched over badly at the bottom of the movement, and lift more with my back and less with legs. but as I stated I have significant mid back thickness b/c of doing this, so Im not complaining now.
so if I am wanting to use deadlift for leg mass/growth should I swap to hexbar or stay with barbell standard?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
so if I am wanting to use deadlift for leg mass/growth should I swap to hexbar or stay with barbell standard?
The hex bar, if form is correct would put more emphasize on the legs than standard barbell, so if legs are your concern, by all means you can try it. Squats work perfectly fine for my quads, lunges for the "split" and narrow barbell deads for my back/hams. Its all up to you, but for me i would stick with the standard straight bar,... its my baby.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Heck if you have both available why not utilize both. I wish my gym had a hex bar... guess ill keep dropping my notes in the request box

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
alright used hexbar last night with some toe raised ATG squats... ah man i am dead today. I definitely feel it more in the legs versus standard DL